Notifications

4-4 defense gave me some problems  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Bamadad
(@bamadad)
Copper
September 11, 2012 8:16 am  

Still won the game but it was primarily thanks to the defense who pitched a shutout.  The D-lineman were almost always lined up in 1 and 3 tech.  The four linebackers were a yard or two off the line of scrimmage but all within the tackles so I was facing an 8 man box.  We had not practiced against such a lineup so my skill position players, especially the HB and FB,  seemed to have issues with figuring out who to block.  We have practiced against 5 and 6 man fronts with an obvious DE lined up outside the tackles for the FB to block.  The HB knows he has a LB when the defense is in 5-3 or 6-2.    They blitzed on pretty much every single play.  My o-line did not do a good job of picking it up.  On passing plays the QB was having to throw on the run and that affected his accuracy.  36 and 47 toss should have gotten us a lot of yardage but for some reason they didn't. 

Here is essentially what we faced:

S
C                          B    B    B    B                  C
                              T  T    T  T
SE                        T    G    C  G  T    TE
                                        Q                          WB
                              HB
                                        FB

williamwallace95
(@williamwallace95)
Copper
September 11, 2012 8:29 am  

I faced a similar defense this weekend:

S                      S
                                        M
C                            B      B    B                  C
                              T        T    T
                              HB
                                        FB

They blitzed every down from the  stack formation.  With no DE "36", "36 Toss", "25 Power", and "Right 45 Kick" were open for long gains every down.  The 38 Toss was handled by M, S and C so going outside seemed ineffective. 

ReplyQuote
coachkev
(@coachkev)
Silver
September 11, 2012 9:25 am  

Both of the def alignments seem suspect to me. Are you sure this is correct?

ReplyQuote
williamwallace95
(@williamwallace95)
Copper
September 11, 2012 9:55 am  

I got video.  It was the stupidest defense I've ever seen.    You should have have heard some of the odd conversations I had with my FBs and WBs.  We just had them seal who ever attacked the 5 or 6 hole.

ReplyQuote
Texan
(@ccleebelt)
Gold
September 11, 2012 11:58 am  

4-4's can be difficult since they make an effort to take out the middle run which is what the offense is depending on.  We just played on last weekend and had big plays with traps and throwback/underneath passing.  The zone coverage schemes tend to create "thinking" when we're out running routes which led to big gains.

Even though we didn't do squat with 23/24 it opened up the LEFT 34 TRAP big time.  10+ yards every time we ran it. 

Also squirted some nice gains out of 33 quick which actually looked more like a 35 quick with the HB running on the outside hip of the LT and inside the OLB.  Just had the LT "g" in GOL on a 4 tech which created a nice little running lane.

DCWT Pass right TE throwback worked well too:

We also ran some Mahonz up/down and they had no clue.  Typically 4-4 is used to hide a crappy secondary - was certainly the case for us this last week.  We just threw over them.

ReplyQuote
Loftdawg
(@loftdawg)
Copper
September 11, 2012 1:17 pm  

I got video.  It was the stupidest defense I've ever seen.    You should have have heard some of the odd conversations I had with my FBs and WBs.  We just had them seal who ever attacked the 5 or 6 hole.

We don't run DCWT per se but our offset I is similar in many respects.  We faced a more traditional 3-5-3 but they never adjusted to our Over call so we literally had 6 blocking 4. You can imagine the results.  Same conversations with our FB and HB, "Who do I block?"

ReplyQuote
CoachTech
(@coachtech)
Bronze
September 12, 2012 4:29 am  

S                      S
                                        M
                              T        T    T
                              HB
                                        FB

They blitzed every down from the  stack formation.  With no DE "36", "36 Toss", "25 Power", and "Right 45 Kick" were open for long gains every down.  The 38 Toss was handled by M, S and C so going outside seemed ineffective.

Could this have been a 3-3 stack, with the M playing more like a monster or one of the outside Lbers?

Change is Inevitable, Personal Growth is optional, choose wisely.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
September 12, 2012 4:51 pm  

Still won the game but it was primarily thanks to the defense who pitched a shutout.  The D-lineman were almost always lined up in 1 and 3 tech.  The four linebackers were a yard or two off the line of scrimmage but all within the tackles so I was facing an 8 man box.  We had not practiced against such a lineup so my skill position players, especially the HB and FB,  seemed to have issues with figuring out who to block.  We have practiced against 5 and 6 man fronts with an obvious DE lined up outside the tackles for the FB to block.  The HB knows he has a LB when the defense is in 5-3 or 6-2.    They blitzed on pretty much every single play.  My o-line did not do a good job of picking it up.  On passing plays the QB was having to throw on the run and that affected his accuracy.  36 and 47 toss should have gotten us a lot of yardage but for some reason they didn't. 

Here is essentially what we faced:

S
C                          B    B    B3    B4                C
                              T  T    T3  T4
                              HB
                                        FB

There is only one defender covering the TE and WB.

Examples:

"Pass Right #2"
"48 Screen" (TE blocks corner)
"Freeze, WB Slant"

Also, your guards have a "Fold" read. For "24" C has T3, RT has T4, RG has B3, WB has B4, TE has C2 if he follows.

Now run the same playt from "HB Over" and watch what happens.

The defense was trying to get you to waste your blockers on the DT's to keep their four B's unblocked.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Bamadad
(@bamadad)
Copper
September 13, 2012 6:53 am  

Examples:

"Pass Right #2"
"Freeze, WB Slant"

Also, your guards have a "Fold" read. For "24" C has T3, RT has T4, RG has B3, WB has B4, TE has C2 if he follows.

The defense was trying to get you to waste your blockers on the DT's to keep their four B's unblocked.

Our opponent sold out to stop the run and it worked for them.  I threw a lot of passes in the game and my receivers were wide open on pretty much every pass.  My QB just couldn't get the ball to them in stride thanks to him having to run for his life and hurry his throws.  He has a great arm and throws with accuracy but he is a slow runner.  He has to have good pass protection or we are in trouble on passing plays.  We worked on that a lot this week. 

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold
September 13, 2012 6:55 am  

S                      S
                                        M
                              T        T    T
                              HB
                                        FB

33 Stack .  Zone pass will score. 

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 28, 2012 12:04 pm  

Examples:

"Pass Right #2"
"Freeze, WB Slant"

What if you can't throw

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 28, 2012 12:15 pm  

Well of course it did!! 
8)

Now back to our program!!  LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 28, 2012 1:44 pm  

F
                                                                H
                W                                    Q 
                                            TE  T G C  G T                                        SE
                                            E  T        T    E                     
                C                        O1                O2      -  all    at 3 yds
                                                  M    M                                              C    - all at 5 yds
                                                      S                          -  at 10 yards

I am facing this on Thursday...  my question is what  do I tell my linemen to do on blocking?  My offensive front were confused on who to block.... I know they are using four to occupy 6  GOL confused my tackles especially left he hated leaving that end alone

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
September 28, 2012 2:11 pm  

F
                                                                H
                W                                    Q 
                                            TE  T G C  G T                                        SE
                                            E  T        T    E                     
                C                        O1                O2      -  all    at 3 yds
                                                  M    M                                              C    - all at 5 yds
                                                      S                          -  at 10 yards

I am facing this on Thursday...  my question is what  do I tell my linemen to do on blocking?  My offensive front were confused on who to block.... I know they are using four to occupy 6  GOL confused my tackles especially left he hated leaving that end alone

When facing "1" and "3" techs, go "super" (two TE) which should move them to two "3's".  Now run SPW, "20 Midline Trap", "30 Quick", and "Left 32 trap" till the cows come home.  Throw "Zone Pass" to either side.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 28, 2012 6:28 pm  

Watching film on em... some times they line up in two 1 techs (rarely).. and they always stay in a 1 and 3 tech alignment even with double tights  any advice

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: