Notifications
Clear all

Any requests for a Power point or film presentation?

Page 3 / 4

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

So how did you modify/change the passing game?

I always said if I was going to run the wing t it would be for the passing game.  More along the lines of the fact the run/backfield action really meshes well to throwing the ball and PAP.  Now I wouldn't go as far as saying the passing game in most wing t playbooks are complete turds.  It is where we get waggle and belly pass is pretty dang good too

J

Real simple....don't rely on waggle only. Its a very good pure passing formation.

Many of the playbooks I have seen limit the passing game in a pretty big way IMO.

This might be a good topic for Clark.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

For the first time every, we had a package out of a direct snap.  We ran empty backfield and called all plays at the line.  We could still use our Wing T terminology, although no one would watch and say it is the Wing T.  We stayed pretty true to the DCWT terminology.  For example, Left 12 trap and Right 13 Trap were killers out of this formation.  Bubble screens, TE seam/dig, slant/wheel, etc. 

BTW - Like Mahonz, the true Wing T terminology is like reading greek.  The Wing T from A to Z by Creehan is sitting on my shelf.  When I tried to read it, it was like reading the proof for Fermat's Last Thoerem.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

You don't like the number straight across 1-9 and flipping those numbers with the formation?  🙂  I HATED that system when I first saw it.  In part because it was so different as far as what I was use to (Nebraska use to use the same numbering).  I don't think it is nearly as bad as when I first looked at it.  It requires you to change your way of thinking from left or right to strong or weak side of the formation.  Once you get your head wrapped around that it is a nice tight little way of calling plays.

three digit number with the first being the formation and strength call.  Second digit being the series which tells everyone what backfield action they are using and the final number is the point of attack.  Now the SW teams have some even crazier number systems.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Maybe that is a Clinic...

Understanding Wing T Speak.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

You should hear the hybrid wing t guys.  They use letters for different lineman and use that to call blocks Like KWY and they'll use the same letter for 2 different guys at the same time like B. 

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I have got to find out what I'm doing wrong with 47 Speed. The damn play just doesn't work for me.

Do you or anyone else have film of this not working?  All my clips are of it working.  It would be nice to be able to critique an actual play.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

Clark,

As someone who doesn't run DCWT due to my coaching limitations, but would figure it out anyway if I ever decide to go under center, I would be very interested in DCWT for bobbleheads or dummies or something like that.  That and blocking rules.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Do you or anyone else have film of this not working?  All my clips are of it working.  It would be nice to be able to critique an actual play.

I do.... I will upload a couple of plays this weekend when I rip them from a couple of films

ReplyQuote
JB
 JB
(@_jb_)
Silver

Hell ... add in some stuff on the trials and tribuations of the company team for action and suspense.  It can be like a mini-series.

This!

"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

I am not sure of the defensive alignment, but the block on the C-gap defender is the TE's block.  The defender the TE's needs to block can change based on a few things
1) The CB moves with the motion of the WB and now becomes the nearest 2nd level defender.  The WB and TE should have an understanding of each others blocking rules.
2) If a S comes down, settles in the second level and is covering the TE.

For me the TE was the hardest position to understand, it took about a year and a half for me to fully grasp what his blocking rules need.  After asking numerous questions and receiving answers the following is what I came up with (it could be wrong and if so Clark can clarify)

The C-gap is defined as an area along the defensive line.  A LB playing over the C-gap is playing a 70 tech.  If the LB moves up and settles on the defensive line (outside the LT) he is now in the C-gap and would be the WB block.

The rule I came up with: In takes In, out takes out or you can simply call it the In/Out Rule. The motion of the WB's Track block will bring him inside the TE (WB in/TE out). The WB will now stay on a path to the next inside 2nd level defender and TE takes the outside defender. Now say I called a Power play to the 8-hole.  The TE is in and the WB is out.  Let me lay out a few defensive formations

F

M            S
                                                                  CB
                                  N        T          E
        SE            T  G  C  G  T      TE
                                                                  WB

The way I would have my guys block this formation from base:
SE to F
WB to M
RG to M
TE to S

Calling 38 Power here is how I would block it.
SE to F
TE to S
WB to CB
RG to M
FB to E

This has been discussed and I will find the thread, but the block on a S in that position is very hard for the WB to make has he would have to slow down, redirect and lose his angle.  The TE has a much more effictive blocking angle on the S.

F

W        S
                                                                CB
                        T  G        G  T          E
                                                                  WB

The way I would have my guys block this formation from base:
SE to F
WB to S
C to W
TE to F (if the CB follows motion it would be TE to CB)

The WB is inside the TE and he takes the first inside defender, if the CB sits, the TE goes to the next defender up.

SE to F
TE to S
WB to CB
C to W
FB to E

62 Inverted cover 2

CB                                                  CB
                                  F
                            W        S

T  G        G  T          E
                                                                  WB

Pretty much the same as above.

SE to CB
WB to S
TE to F
C to W

53 with DE moved in

F

M            S
                                                                  CB
                                  N        T  E
                                                                  WB

WB to E
TE to S
RG to M
SE to F

I hope this helps

Coach -

Is there is reason you switched up the WB/FB block on power cue for 38 power ? Was you FB able to make that block easier ? The thing I like about the WB making the block on the E is then when you are just in base action or calling jet the first thing the E is doing is watching the WB wondering if he is about to get drilled.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

I have lot of film of it NOT working. Press corners who come across the line as soon as they see run....LT NEVER can make this block. My film shows my LT chasing the Corner from behind as he is in the backfield and LT helps stop the play.....really struggle tryiing to get this play to work.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

I would like to see more of a passing game out of the DCWT as well. Pass right/left and the screens are all well and good but what else ? Also I am looking at a few more formations. Share them as I get more ideas. One was HB over and WB tight where they line up and run shoulder to shoulder through the 6 hole....short yardage type play so teams can't stack against wedge. Can run same formation and run wedge as well....I dunno....I got the idea watching Stanford.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Coach -

Is there is reason you switched up the WB/FB block on power cue for 38 power ? Was you FB able to make that block easier ? The thing I like about the WB making the block on the E is then when you are just in base action or calling jet the first thing the E is doing is watching the WB wondering if he is about to get drilled.

Josh,

If you are asking the description below, I believe I am following the blocking rules as in the manual.

SE to F
TE to S
WB to CB
FB to E

FB blocks any defender outside RT, This would be DE is my opinion. 
WB to CB
The play I describe uses Right back field action.

If you are referring to plays such as 38 Rocket Power or 58 Power Sweep where the WB is blocking the DE, the base action of those plays are Left which takes the FB away from the POA. In such a case the WB has no choice but to block the DE.

I could have it wrong, but again my plays are limited to the rules I teach.  I couldn't get too crazy with 9 year olds.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

I do.... I will upload a couple of plays this weekend when I rip them from a couple of films

could not find any....only have two films

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Josh,

If you are asking the description below, I believe I am following the blocking rules as in the manual.

SE to F
TE to S
WB to CB
FB to E

FB blocks any defender outside RT, This would be DE is my opinion. 
WB to CB
The play I describe uses Right back field action.

cue "Power"= WB cracks DE.

"38 Power" will put both WB and FB on DE. 

"38 Power Option" puts WB on DE and FB on corner - or just the opposite you had it.

If you are referring to plays such as 38 Rocket Power or 58 Power Sweep where the WB is blocking the DE, the base action of those plays are Left which takes the FB away from the POA. In such a case the WB has no choice but to block the DE.

I could have it wrong, but again my plays are limited to the rules I teach.  I couldn't get too crazy with 9 year olds.

The cue "Rocket" sends FB backside as you srtate but WB takes the DE by the "Power" cue.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: