Notifications

DC Wing T playbook  

RSS

jchappell99
(@jchappell99)
Copper
July 19, 2012 6:45 am  

I can't seem to get the link to work in order to download the playbook.  Any help would be appreciated.

John

CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
July 19, 2012 8:04 am  

jchappell99,

Double check to make sure you are signed in through your password.

If you are using google chrome a download window should appear in the lower left hand corner.  If now click on the wrench (upper right hand corner) and select downloads.

If not using chrome, try locating your download button through your web browswer.

If all else fails PM me and I can send you the 2012 Version.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
jchappell99
(@jchappell99)
Copper
July 19, 2012 8:41 am  

Thanks CoachJohn.

I wasn't signed in!

I've read where you are pretty knowledgeable of this offense.  I am coaching 5, 6 and 7 year old kids.  24 on team.  About 1/3 have played before.  I had planned on using some sort of I formation since it's easy but I want these guys to win, too!!  So, I've decided on the DC Wing T after doing a ton of research.  In your opinion, how many plays should I even consider trying to install?  I can't really put plays in this week in camp because we have kids from other organizations attending out camp.  So, i'll start doing that on the 30th.  Just trying to get some input from some people that understand and know this offense.

Thanks again
John

ReplyQuote
jchappell99
(@jchappell99)
Copper
July 19, 2012 8:49 am  

One additional note.  The defense will have to play a  6 man front with no player over center and no player in the a-gaps.  Have to be head up on Guard.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
July 19, 2012 10:24 am  

Thanks CoachJohn.

I wasn't signed in!

I've read where you are pretty knowledgeable of this offense.  I am coaching 5, 6 and 7 year old kids.  24 on team.  About 1/3 have played before.  I had planned on using some sort of I formation since it's easy but I want these guys to win, too!!  So, I've decided on the DC Wing T after doing a ton of research.  In your opinion, how many plays should I even consider trying to install?  I can't really put plays in this week in camp because we have kids from other organizations attending out camp.  So, i'll start doing that on the 30th.  Just trying to get some input from some people that understand and know this offense.

Thanks again
John

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm am no master at the DCWT.  There are many more out there who have been running this offense for years and are complete guru's regarding the in's and out's of the DCWT.  Like I have, read through as many threads as possible and learn as much as you can.  There are years of information buried throughout it, even in the archives of the old website.

As far as play count that is always a tough one to answer.  That question has been asked a lot over the years and most recently in a thread by Jcarbon about core plays. 

Not to speak for Clark Wilkins, be he has mentioned many times he created this offense for the players to have fun and why he offers it for free.  I believe the general idea would be to select one play for each eligible ball carrier (SE, TE, HB, FB, WB, QB).  This gives you 6 plays, teach those same plays to the back ups of each of those positions and you have 12 kids who can run the ball. That's half your team!

I've coached 6 and 7 year old's for two years. I have a good idea what you will be up against.  Personally, I would say do not try and over teach that age group.  Give each a play and build on the offense over the years to come.  I would go as far as cutting down the play language to something far simpler.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
jchappell99
(@jchappell99)
Copper
July 19, 2012 10:32 am  

The way our league works is the first 11 on the field play the entire quarter and then the next 11 play the 2nd quarter.  The remainders play the 3rd with whomever we decide to play with them.  Should be interesting.

I'm assuming, without researching too much, that all these runs can come out of the base formation with the base motion, correct?  Being 6 and 7 and not having played before, I'm not sure how much can be thrown at them.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
July 19, 2012 10:56 am  

The way our league works is the first 11 on the field play the entire quarter and then the next 11 play the 2nd quarter.  The remainders play the 3rd with whomever we decide to play with them.  Should be interesting.

I'm assuming, without researching too much, that all these runs can come out of the base formation with the base motion, correct?  Being 6 and 7 and not having played before, I'm not sure how much can be thrown at them.

To simplify, you could run it all out of the T formation.  I think.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 19, 2012 11:27 am  

Yes.  It can be run out of base.  Give everybody a play as mentioned then add an extra one for your WB and HB for 8 plays.  Run "23" and "24" as "Cross" versus 6 DL's. Make sure you have "47 Speed" in there.  Eventually, you'll get them up to about 12 plays.  What they are depends upon whats open and who can carry the rock.

Reverses and counters go for a ton of yards against this age group so have about one third of your plays fall in this category.  Usually, the first to stop the reverse wins.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
jchappell99
(@jchappell99)
Copper
July 24, 2012 4:26 am  

Thanks for all the input.  We are in the middle of a 2 week camp so I haven't really started to install anything as we have players from both of our tiny mite teams as well as players from other teams outside our organization.

Was talking to the coach that coached TM last year.  He's coaching Mitey Mite this year.  I was telling him my plan of using the Wing T and he thought that was great.  But, he questioned whether I should use the play names from the book or make up "fun" names like Batman Right or Superman Left.... I am 100% against making up play games.  I want to use the actual names from the playbook as I feel if these kids can memorize their favorite cartoon episodes word for word, they can learn 8 - 10 football plays!

What's your opinion on fun names versus the actual names from the playbook.... Again, I have only coached at the midget level a few years back.  Moving down because my son's starting to play.

John

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 24, 2012 7:18 pm  

I let the kids name one play in my life - "20 Midline trap" because it had it's own set of blocking rules.  They voted to call in "Reindeer".  Later, in a game, I saw it open, called "Reindeer" and sweated bullets over the name.  They ran it perfect. 

But I would only do it for a play that doesn't use GOL blocking rules.

ReplyQuote
Loftdawg
(@loftdawg)
Copper
July 24, 2012 7:24 pm  

I let the kids name one play in my life - "20 Midline trap" because it had it's own set of blocking rules.  They voted to call in "Reindeer".  Later, in a game, I saw it open, called "Reindeer" and sweated bullets over the name.  They ran it perfect. 

But I would only do it for a play that doesn't use GOL blocking rules.

Reindeer??

That's awesome. Any idea why?

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 25, 2012 11:29 am  

Reindeer??

That's awesome. Any idea why?

No.  That's why I was sweating bullets.  They came up with the name two weeks earlier and we hadn't run it since. 

I was actually shocked to see them run it perfect.

ReplyQuote
Share: