Notifications

DCWT BEAST  

Page 10 / 14
  RSS

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
December 1, 2017 5:18 am  

Another thing would be to jet a few times, let the D adjust, then hit em with jet power.

That would be my only reason to run jet.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 5:30 am  

The other thing to consider is that we don't sweep very often. Only when they give it to us pre snap.

Anyway, here are all of our beast plays from the championship. Turns out we didn't run any beast in the 1st quarter, but we only had 2 drives and the first was a 3 and punt.

At 1:42, #15 running to the right was him making that decision on his own. Here is an example of a big fast kid that the other team doesn't have an answer for. He didn't get that many carries in this game, but he did score a long TD on a jet follow. He's the 3rd fastest on our team. Fastest kid carried the ball early in the season, but since he's a rookie he struggled with seeing the lanes and with ball security. 2nd fastest kid is the little guy at :55. I think he had 2 carries the whole game. He and #15 are the kids that physically, not every team is going to have.  Our work horse is the little guy. He has above average speed (average for a RB), but he has spectacular vision and is pound for pound the strongest kid I've ever coached, especially in his legs. The bigger kid scoring all the TDs has above average speed, even for a RB, but you can see him getting chased down twice on long runs.

The point is that the RBs who make this offense go were built, not born. Our workhorse little guy and the one scoring the TDs are kids that most teams will have. When I joined this team, Mahonz told me that we would have to go 5 wide empty and throw every down because we don't have any running backs. All of the backs we have now were on the team then.

If we have a unique advantage, it's that we get to coach the same kids from 2nd grade to 8th grade and over time, we can develop them.

A final thought is that I didn't fully get my way with beast. I pushed all season to give the ball to a couple of kids who are absolute bruisers. Not because I wanted to give carries to the big guys, but because they will soften the defense. Beast softens defenses, but these bruisers accelerate the process and make it much easier for our main back. Watch how the defense in the above clip plays much more aggressively against the little guy than a guy with size. If I was able to get more carries from the big boys (starting PT and starting TE), I think we would have been in better shape to play the "4 and a cloud of dust" game and wouldn't have to worry about big plays. We started the preseason with this, but OC bailed on it by the time the regular season came around. These are kids we typically won't let carry the ball in practice because they will hurt someone.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 1, 2017 5:38 am  

The other thing to consider is that we don't sweep very often. Only when they give it to us pre snap.

I have 3 defensive priorities: Don't get swept, Don't give up explosive plays, Create turnovers.  We don't widen-out our defense, but I don't see how you're going to get outside of our contain men (our two best tacklers) who are lined up wide.  I'm not saying you couldn't score TDs on us, or that you couldn't get explosive plays.  But if you're looking for a pre-snap read to determine sweep, I don't think we're giving that to you.  Do you become an inside-run team, at that point?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 1, 2017 5:41 am  

You cant say- all we have to do is make sure to block everyone past the A gap- like traditional jet teams say- because of your wider splits
Penetration which you lived with- with your beast back cutting back- will be much more difficult with jet motion IMO

Lar, how shallow is your Jet-Motion? 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 1, 2017 5:43 am  

here are all of our beast plays from the championship. Turns out we didn't run any beast in the 1st quarter, but we only had 2 drives and the first was a 3 and punt.

They must have earthquakes in Colorado.  Lar, get a tripod!

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 1, 2017 5:53 am  

Anyway, here are all of our beast plays from the championship. Turns out we didn't run any beast in the 1st quarter, but we only had 2 drives and the first was a 3 and punt.

At 1:42, #15 running to the right was him making that decision on his own. Here is an example of a big fast kid that the other team doesn't have an answer for. He didn't get that many carries in this game, but he did score a long TD on a jet follow. He's the 3rd fastest on our team. Fastest kid carried the ball early in the season, but since he's a rookie he struggled with seeing the lanes and with ball security. 2nd fastest kid is the little guy at :55. I think he had 2 carries the whole game. He and #15 are the kids that physically, not every team is going to have.  Our work horse is the little guy. He has above average speed (average for a RB), but he has spectacular vision and is pound for pound the strongest kid I've ever coached, especially in his legs. The bigger kid scoring all the TDs has above average speed, even for a RB, but you can see him getting chased down twice on long runs.

The point is that the RBs who make this offense go were built, not born. Our workhorse little guy and the one scoring the TDs are kids that most teams will have. When I joined this team, Mahonz told me that we would have to go 5 wide empty and throw every down because we don't have any running backs. All of the backs we have now were on the team then.

If we have a unique advantage, it's that we get to coach the same kids from 2nd grade to 8th grade and over time, we can develop them.

A final thought is that I didn't fully get my way with beast. I pushed all season to give the ball to a couple of kids who are absolute bruisers. Not because I wanted to give carries to the big guys, but because they will soften the defense. Beast softens defenses, but these bruisers accelerate the process and make it much easier for our main back. Watch how the defense in the above clip plays much more aggressively against the little guy than a guy with size. If I was able to get more carries from the big boys (starting PT and starting TE), I think we would have been in better shape to play the "4 and a cloud of dust" game and wouldn't have to worry about big plays. We started the preseason with this, but OC bailed on it by the time the regular season came around. These are kids we typically won't let carry the ball in practice because they will hurt someone.

5:21 damn good lead blocking

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 1, 2017 6:30 am  

I have 3 defensive priorities: Don't get swept, Don't give up explosive plays, Create turnovers.  We don't widen-out our defense, but I don't see how you're going to get outside of our contain men (our two best tacklers) who are lined up wide.  I'm not saying you couldn't score TDs on us, or that you couldn't get explosive plays.  But if you're looking for a pre-snap read to determine sweep, I don't think we're giving that to you.  Do you become an inside-run team, at that point?

--Dave

Probably more of a passing team from Empty with this group. Beast is just OK as a passing formation. Needs to be set up.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:31 am  

--Dave

Yes. We are better at being more disciplined about his in Beast. OC will run blast 40 times a game and not blink. If we get up big, he tends to get bored and will work on other stuff. But yes, if Sweep isn't there, we don't run it. Also, we don't "sweep" out of Beast. Blast is a stretch play for us and sometimes the defense asks us to bounce it a little wider. The jet thing is theoretical at this point, but I'm just applying what we do out of empty. I'm now looking at beast as just another formation tag.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:32 am  

Lar, how shallow is your Jet-Motion? 

--Dave

Under center, he's right off the QB's butt. In gun, he's right in front of the QB, who is about 5 yards.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:34 am  

They must have earthquakes in Colorado.  Lar, get a tripod!

--Dave

Gave my brother in law a mono pod. He scouted an opponent early in the season in this same stadium and it was the best scout film we've ever had. Then, he joined our staff and due to league rules regarding the number of coaches on the field in the championship, he had to watch from the stands. You can see that he's now more interested in the game. Hard to film when you're excited by the game. 🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:36 am  

5:21 damn good lead blocking

Thanks. There was a hold on that play, so it came back. Check out 5:50. Favorite block of the year. #15 played Tackle for me in the Spring and was a terror to LBs.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:39 am  

So here are the beast plays from round 2.

This was the first time I've watched this. Ugh. Terrible play from the o-line. PT is normally our guy, but I found out he was injured in this game from his grandma. Don't know how limited he was physically, but he was less than 50% mentally. If anything, you can see why double teams are death with mega splits.

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 1, 2017 6:47 am  

So here are the beast plays from round 2.

This was the first time I've watched this. Ugh. Terrible play from the o-line. PT is normally our guy, but I found out he was injured in this game from his grandma. Don't know how limited he was physically, but he was less than 50% mentally. If anything, you can see why double teams are death with mega splits.

DAAAAAMN that DE at :15

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 1, 2017 6:55 am  

I'll tell you what, that little back ya'll have is tough.  He was taking some shots.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 1, 2017 6:59 am  

DAAAAAMN that DE at :15

That was a TD if our guy doesn't get caught by backside pursuit. It's rare, but it happens. So here's why he got caught. His first 3 steps were east/west. He probably did that because this team was flowing hard and he was trying to gain the edge. If he runs at 45 degrees, backside guy misses if we don't score, the RB runs a long way before he's tackled. Crap like this will eat you alive as a mega splits coach. You are often one step away from a huge play.

When I first joined Mahonz' staff, he described Beast as "caveman football". When I started jacking around with it, he would get on me for making it too complicated and he was right. I was going "double wing" with it. Eventually I found a happy medium. Spend some time fine tuning it, then walk away. In most games, I see a play like the one above and think "no problem", we'll hit it again, but that never really happened. I think we only had 1 big beast play that whole game. I hate to play this card, but the refs really did grind both offenses to a halt in this game. Both teams had good reason to be pissed.

You can't hear it due to the wind, but on our last few plays, we would line up and stand there until the back judge started chopping to run the clock. The opposing fans were screaming "HIT!" I guess our guys couldn't hear it either, but I thought that had to be against some rule.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 14
Share: