Notifications

FB Question  

RSS

Chops
(@chops)
Copper
July 25, 2013 7:48 am  

I have been reading the manual since May in preparation for our first year running the DCWT and everything I have read says to put the fastest big kid at FB. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out who we can put in that position. This is for a 4th grade team with a 89 pound and under weight limit for ball carriers. Last night at pre-season pad camp I watched one of my players make everyone else look like absolute fools running the ball during a scrimmage. He was breaking tackles, lowering his shoulders for hits, breaking ankles, reading defensive helmets for cut backs, stiff arming and just generally looking like a stud on his way to multiple TDs.  Great right?  The problem is he is only weighs 75 pounds. I know we will have some bigger but slower and less naturally gifted players that fit the ideal FB mold for the DCWT that will have high hit scores but do I really play them at FB over this stud?  This kid is strong, aggressive and loves contact.  Do these traits not factor in the decision or should I go strictly with HIT scores?  If not FB where do I put him?  I have a burner to place at WB already and I think this kids toughness and aggressiveness would be wasted here unless we run a lot of inside plays with him. HB? He is also not the brightest kid and I see HB as a more cerebral position than FB. I might also have a revolt on my hands if this kid is not getting the majority of carrys which to me says FB. Any thoughts?  I am probably just nervous and second guessing things as the excitement for this season is building up. I can't wait to play some football!

dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
July 25, 2013 8:38 am  

Coach,
at fb i looked at hit scores, but it came down to the fact that I wanted a bruiser at fb. I settled on a straight ahead runner that would drop his shoulder and get me 5 yards.
If the kid is as fast and elusive as you say, I would move him to HB. The position doesn't have to be cerebal.  If he can take the dive hand off on dive 33 quick and HB over 24 quick you're off to the races. That play is so fast he will be at the 2nd level by the time the defense live moves. Now you teach him 36/38 toss,  38 rocket( which is pitch and catch football) he is off to the races. πŸ˜‰  Can he catch? Well motion him out behind the Split End and throw him a quick pass. Now he is in the open field one on one with corner. Guess who wins that one?!

Plus there is nothing that is stopping you from swapping the hb and the fb in certain situations  πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
July 25, 2013 8:43 am  

Man I just typed this long A$@ response telling you not to bend to parents and other coaches, be the alpha male and for heavens sake put that kid at HB find another FB and train him up

this sucks. My response would have made the Dum coaches Hall of Fame

crap.... Since I am already pissed I guess I will get back to work

Make him a HB

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
July 25, 2013 9:35 am  

Wing n it

Use the back button on your browser.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Chops
(@chops)
Copper
July 25, 2013 10:52 am  

Ok, we will stick him at HB and make 33 Quick and Left 32 Trap early installs. And my coaches know I call the shots and am not about to put up with any bull or drama. Parents on the other hand?  Parents are crazy now a days!  I just had a gentleman call and state he was going to be my OC and his kid my QB that he would call the plays and install his own offense. Never met the guy or have any idea how he got my number. His son is now on my do not draft list. I don't care how talented a kid is I don't need crazy on the sidelines. Anoth lady cussed out my wife a few days ago when she called to get some info that was missing on her kids registration. Anyone assign a AC as a "parent coordinator" so they don't have to deal with this crap?

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
July 25, 2013 11:06 am  

Ok, we will stick him at HB and make 33 Quick and Left 32 Trap early installs. And my coaches know I call the shots and am not about to put up with any bull or drama. Parents on the other hand?  Parents are crazy now a days!  I just had a gentleman call and state he was going to be my OC and his kid my QB that he would call the plays and install his own offense. Never met the guy or have any idea how he got my number. His son is now on my do not draft list. I don't care how talented a kid is I don't need crazy on the sidelines. Anoth lady cussed out my wife a few days ago when she called to get some info that was missing on her kids registration.

Parent meetings, early and often

Anyone assign a AC as a "parent coordinator" so they don't have to deal with this crap?

Yes
Yes
and Yes
matter of fact you may wanna nominate the one who cussed at your wife  πŸ˜‰

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 25, 2013 11:21 am  

I have been reading the manual since May in preparation for our first year running the DCWT and everything I have read says to put the fastest big kid at FB. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out who we can put in that position. This is for a 4th grade team with a 89 pound and under weight limit for ball carriers. Last night at pre-season pad camp I watched one of my players make everyone else look like absolute fools running the ball during a scrimmage. He was breaking tackles, lowering his shoulders for hits, breaking ankles, reading defensive helmets for cut backs, stiff arming and just generally looking like a stud on his way to multiple TDs.  Great right?  The problem is he is only weighs 75 pounds. I know we will have some bigger but slower and less naturally gifted players that fit the ideal FB mold for the DCWT that will have high hit scores but do I really play them at FB over this stud?  This kid is strong, aggressive and loves contact.  Do these traits not factor in the decision or should I go strictly with HIT scores?  If not FB where do I put him?  I have a burner to place at WB already and I think this kids toughness and aggressiveness would be wasted here unless we run a lot of inside plays with him. HB? He is also not the brightest kid and I see HB as a more cerebral position than FB. I might also have a revolt on my hands if this kid is not getting the majority of carrys which to me says FB. Any thoughts?  I am probably just nervous and second guessing things as the excitement for this season is building up. I can't wait to play some football!

You have to play somebody at FB that can get you 5 yards.  If this kid is the ONLY kid you can find that can get you 5 then he goes to FB.  Otherwise HB or WB. 

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
July 28, 2013 7:26 pm  

Ok, we will stick him at HB and make 33 Quick and Left 32 Trap early installs. And my coaches know I call the shots and am not about to put up with any bull or drama. Parents on the other hand?  Parents are crazy now a days!  I just had a gentleman call and state he was going to be my OC and his kid my QB that he would call the plays and install his own offense. Never met the guy or have any idea how he got my number. His son is now on my do not draft list. I don't care how talented a kid is I don't need crazy on the sidelines. Anoth lady cussed out my wife a few days ago when she called to get some info that was missing on her kids registration. Anyone assign a AC as a "parent coordinator" so they don't have to deal with this crap?

Coach it is best to deal with crap on your own. If you leave an assistant coach to deal with the agents, he will eventually become someone they relate to. Someone who is on their side. Someone they would like to be the HC because he is so personable... Then your problems will really get out of your control.  πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
July 28, 2013 7:30 pm  

If you leave an assistant coach to deal with the agents, he will eventually become someone they relate to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

The upside is, you can spend the rest of the year calling the assistant coach "Patty Hearst."

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Chops
(@chops)
Copper
July 30, 2013 5:30 am  

Yeah, I'm going to handle the parents instead of putting it off on an AC. I do have an amazing team mom that I will rely on for the more menial day to day things but if there are problem I will be the one to take care of them. I tried something new this year. Instead of a parents meeting at the first practice I am waiting until after our third practice. We will cut practice short and have some watermelon and ice cream for the boys while I address the parents. This gives us coaches 3 opportunites to "prove" ourselves to these parents before I come in and lay down the law. I think it will work as I had a few new parents come to me after practice very excited about what they saw. Hopefully this makes it easier for them to buy-in to our system. I mean you don't sign for a car without seeing a test drive first, right?

ReplyQuote
Chops
(@chops)
Copper
July 30, 2013 5:42 am  

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot the most important part!  Our first practice was last night and we weighed the kids and ran them through the 27 yard dash. Of all my kids under the weight restrictions the player I mentioned in the OP had the second highest HIT score. The top score was only .03 higher than his so he may end up as my FB after all!  There is one kid I want to retest as his 27 time seemed too slow for how he plays but I may give all 3 a chance to show what they can do. Thank you all again for the help.

ReplyQuote
Chris K
(@chris-k)
Silver
July 30, 2013 5:57 am  

This gives us coaches 3 opportunites to "prove" ourselves to these parents before I come in and lay down the law.

You need to set the expectation from day one. It will eliminate alot of issues down the road. The parents will either buy into what you do or they won't. If you are competent, care for their kids, and treat everyone the same most will buy in. You will always have naysayers.

I never try to prove anything to the parents because for the most part they are clueless about what it takes to run a football team.

Chris

β€œToday I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”- Jerry Rice

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 30, 2013 10:35 am  

Chops

Dynamite comes in small packages.  πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Share: