Notifications
Clear all

Nasty gap and 38 option

mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We faced a 5-3 a few weeks ago and they put their DE in the nasty gap.  On 38 option, our WB would hit him on the track block.  But we really don't want to block him here, right?  Should I instruct the WB to line up 3 steps wider and start to track on outside of TE if the DE is in the nasty gap on 38 option?

coachkev
(@coachkev)
Silver

Did it work?  How were they aligned outside the DE?

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We ran it 3/4 times.  Gained anywhere from 3-10 yds.  This was our first game with DCWT.

TE takes LB over him.  FB takes CB(didnt follow motion) 5 yards deep over WB.  Deep safety 12 yards out ends up making tackle.

Gaining the WB as a blocker and not blocking the DE I think makes sense.  However, I should say our QB was pitching too early too and not optioning off anyone....

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

General rule for dcwt...setting formation to the field.

Run inside the te toward the boundary
Run to the wr toward the field

38 option toward the te is asking for trouble.
Ends over 38 option is a better choice, in my opinion

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

38 option toward the te is asking for trouble.
Ends over 38 option is a better choice, in my opinion

Could you elaborate why you like Ends over 38?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Could you elaborate why you like Ends over 38?

Ok so ends over 38

The te moves from right to left.

This brings the def end closer to the qb and creates more space for you to make option pitch on the invert.

Reg 38 option will space the 9 tech wider which could string out your option and youll run out of room

General rule for dc wt...run inside the te...run outside to the wr.

Take the flex bone teams like the academy's...they run triple and are option based with no te...why... by they can run pitch more efficiently to both sides and...they dont run osv

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My question though is when the defense puts the DE (or OLB) in the nasty gap.  Same result as moving TE over essentially.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

We teach the TE to track inside (first ugly shirt), this would be the DE if he's in the nasty.  WB cracks the outside defender which in this case is usually the OLB.  2 back tracks to the CB and your 1 back should be getting downfield to block as well once he gets rid of the ball. If the DE is in the nasty in a 5-3, 38 should be there all day I would think.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

My question though is when the defense puts the DE (or OLB) in the nasty gap.  Same result as moving TE over essentially.

Sorry for not understanding... then yes youre running a good play.

Ide run 38 option (qb keep unless) rather then 38 pitch (qb pitch unless) vs a 6i or 7.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

We teach the TE to track inside (first ugly shirt), this would be the DE if he's in the nasty.  WB cracks the outside defender which in this case is usually the OLB.  2 back tracks to the CB and your 1 back should be getting downfield to block as well once he gets rid of the ball. If the DE is in the nasty in a 5-3, 38 should be there all day I would think.

One more note on this: if the OLB and DE are stacked you have to make sure that you've repped picking up that stunt.  TE can't chase his block outside or he'll get ear holed by the 4 back.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

We faced a 5-3 a few weeks ago and they put their DE in the nasty gap.  On 38 option, our WB would hit him on the track block.  But we really don't want to block him here, right?  Should I instruct the WB to line up 3 steps wider and start to track on outside of TE if the DE is in the nasty gap on 38 option?

When the offense puts a DE in the "Nasty Split" you run to where they moved him from.  So "38 Option" was a good call and your WB should have track blocked him.  You want to stay with that if you can because nobody's making a mistake.  Everybody's being blocked (including the DE).  If you had called "38 Toss" and WB had not track blocked that DE then you would have had a problem. 

Your solution would have worked but I'm inclined not to tell somebody to stop doing the right thing (WB tracking) to do the wrong thing (WB not track blocking).

Your alternative solution would have been to tell the QB to keep and go around the WB's block, turn upfield where the DE should have been, and pitched.  But, when you teach this, QB pitches two steps upfield or not at all (keeps).  The reason for this is two fold.  As your QB moves downfield across the LOS the pitch could become a forward lateral as QB STOPS to pitch.  And QB must STOP to pitch because of the second reason.  The defender being optioned is now the OLB and OLB's hit QB's way harder than DE's.  However, WB has Mike and TE Sam while FB takes corner leaving FS to make the tackle.  But we never option FS.  We option Sam.  Why?  Because TE is probably not going to hold that block.  But, if TE does hold that block, after gaining two yards, QB could run.  His choice.  But, if he is going to pitch, he does it after gaining 1-2 yards.  Never pitch after gaining 2 yards.    The forward lateral and the big hit by Sam come into play after 2 yards.  Both are bad,

You can teach the QB to pitch every time after gaining 2 whether there's someone on front of him or not.  Have him tuck the ball and run FAST though get around WB's block.  If he's slow getting out there the "D" is catching up.

The third and best solution is have TE and WB swap blocking assignments. TE takes Mike and WB blocks Sam.  Great blocking angles!  QB options DE in gap and HB is running into next week.  This is the best solution and is done by "cue".  TE and WB can actually change places on this play and TE goes in motion while WB plays on the line.  Now nobody accidentally blocks the wrong guy. From this same alignment you can run "24 Cross".

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Share: