Notifications
Clear all

No Huddle and wrist-coaches

Page 4 / 5

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

I've been away for a while. This thread went of the rails. So much drama for me this off-season as a coach I thought about taking a year off but I gave the kids my word I would be there.

Anyways ..  Cisar you have used your system with wrist coaches for almost 2 decades. You figured out what worked and what didn't. That is great ! I used wrist coaches for 1 year using a different offense and it didn't work, FOR ME. Could it work for someone else smarter than me ... I'm sure of it. Just not for me. When did this thread go from helping another coach to calling someone out about the actual hours spent ? Okay maybe, "hundreds of hours" was an exaggeration but my point was, FOR ME, it sucked. I wouldn't do it again. If it works for you and your offense that is great. Didn't work for me and I felt like I spent an insane amount of time on the wrist inserts.

I'm sure if I stuck it out the wrist coaches would have eventually become easier. Just not for me.

I've been on this board for years now and still think I suck as a coach. I always respected you Cisar, bought your books and read your blog but honestly you can sometimes rub coaches the wrong way with the holier than though posts. Just chill. I'm here to learn, share MY experiences as a coach and what has/has not worked for me. Some self reflection is in order. And I say that with all due respect.

Have to agree with Josh on this...and I use wrist coaches every year.  Its a pain in my a$$. Having to modify them even when you just tweak or add one or two plays... laminating them..washing them..  But I do it every year. I am one of those anal/OCD guys and I think it helps, even though I have signals as well.  I spend alot of time on them, every year.

One of the best runners Ive ever had wasn't real bright.  He couldn't learn the plays. He had a three window wrist band.  One window described exactly what he did on each play..it worked.  If he didn't have a band it would have been awful.  If you guys have one of these kids, then a band is a must.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Oh, they are a pita. Plus they smell like.... well I don't know. Just really bad. For us the work was always worth it though. I believe they gave us an advantage based on how we practiced better with them and how fast we could play.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Oh, they are a pita. Plus they smell like.... well I don't know. Just really bad. For us the work was always worth it though. I believe they gave us an advantage based on how we practiced better with them and how fast we could play.

Do you have your play sheet for your wrist coaches?

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I've been away for a while. This thread went of the rails. So much drama for me this off-season as a coach I thought about taking a year off but I gave the kids my word I would be there.

Anyways ..  Cisar you have used your system with wrist coaches for almost 2 decades. You figured out what worked and what didn't. That is great ! I used wrist coaches for 1 year using a different offense and it didn't work, FOR ME. Could it work for someone else smarter than me ... I'm sure of it. Just not for me. When did this thread go from helping another coach to calling someone out about the actual hours spent ? Okay maybe, "hundreds of hours" was an exaggeration but my point was, FOR ME, it sucked. I wouldn't do it again. If it works for you and your offense that is great. Didn't work for me and I felt like I spent an insane amount of time on the wrist inserts.

I'm sure if I stuck it out the wrist coaches would have eventually become easier. Just not for me.

I've been on this board for years now and still think I suck as a coach. I always respected you Cisar, bought your books and read your blog but honestly you can sometimes rub coaches the wrong way with the holier than though posts. Just chill. I'm here to learn, share MY experiences as a coach and what has/has not worked for me. Some self reflection is in order. And I say that with all due respect.

The issue is someone that has never used wrist coaches looks at your post and thinks wow 100s of hours- I dont have that amount of time
Where most people can get it done in the very small time frame I posted- an honest breakdown of how long it really takes
We want to be accurate so guys can make up their own minds based on reality

When you compare the amount of time to do wrist coaches with the amount of time coaches take to do other things- it seems fairly reasonable
Again- no reason to change your wrist coaches every week- I do it 3-4 times a year and I do it the morning of the game- for me personally takes less than 1 hour
Washing the wrist coaches- yes need to do that or they stink. I dont even take the inserts out- yeah real pain- dump the wrist coaches from the mesh bag into the washer- add soap, push a button. When they are done take them out and spread them out on top of the dryer until they are dry- then put back into the bag- not a huge chore- my son will do it for me this year

Guys driving an hour each way and then spending 2 hours filming a game- then another 2-4 hours breaking it down
Endless meetings
Team film sessions
Driving long distances to practice/driving players long distances home
Weekend tournament travel

If you dont want to do it yourself you can always delegate it

Our play sheets look something like this:

12 Iso- Red 8
14 Blast-- Red 1
16 Pass- Black 1
16 Power- Black 2, Red 5
16 Power Nasty Tunnel- Red 9
18 Sweep- Black 9
18 Sweep Pass- Black 7
20 Wham- Red 0

The color of the play is the color of the ink- to make it easier to call

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Do you have your play sheet for your wrist coaches?

You mean our old ones? Probably not. They would make you think we were nuts anyway. We ran what looks like hundreds of plays. We didn't but we ran them from a bunch of different looks. Well over a dozen formations.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The issue is someone that has never used wrist coaches looks at your post and thinks wow 100s of hours- I dont have that amount of time
Where most people can get it done in the very small time frame I posted- an honest breakdown of how long it really takes
We want to be accurate so guys can make up their own minds based on reality

The initial set up takes some time. Part of this is really based on what you put on the bands and what you run. For us, it took longer but that is based on our many looks we gave teams. We also had assignments. If you just have the play then it is REAL simple.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

The initial set up takes some time. Part of this is really based on what you put on the bands and what you run. For us, it took longer but that is based on our many looks we gave teams. We also had assignments. If you just have the play then it is REAL simple.

We quit doing assignments back in 2005
The kids learned better without them- they had to remember rather than leaning on reading from the wrist coach
Yes if every wrist coach was position specific- what PAIN IN THE A--

If someone chose to do it that way and made a bunch of changes- it would slow you down- not to 100s of hours- but instead of an hour- hours
Ive done it both ways and found writing the assignments over the long haul was counterproductive

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

The kids learned better without them- they had to remember rather than leaning on reading from the wrist coach

If someone chose to do it that way and made a bunch of changes- it would slow you down- not to 100s of hours- but instead of an hour- hours
Ive done it both ways and found writing the assignments over the long haul was counterproductive

If you don't do assignments, what do you currently do?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I don't entirely disagree with you. The biggest advantage we found with having the assignments on them was it helped with install. No need to stop and ask a coach. By the time we played game one we found most of the kids not only did not need the assignments but some didn't need the bands at all. The base offense calls were known by most of the team. We did have a team rule that you had to look at the band regardless of whether  you knew the play or not. This eliminated brain farts.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

If you don't do assignments, what do you currently do?

How Ive explained it dozens of times here on this forum
JUST THE PLAY

This subject has been discussed dozens of times here- beating a dead horse

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

How Ive explained it dozens of times here on this forum
JUST THE PLAY

This subject has been discussed dozens of times here- beating a dead horse

Hey now. I was just asking for clarification. I don't memorize all your posts. I thought that is what you did, I was just making sure.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Hey now. I was just asking for clarification. I don't memorize all your posts. I thought that is what you did, I was just making sure.

Ive given it at least a dozen times on this forum- discussions you participated in
Probably one of the most beaten dead horse subjects on this forum

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Here..

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Here..

While we are on the subject- lets add some other subjects that have been gone over in depth many many  times here:

No Huddle Play Calling
Importance of Scouting
Punting or Not in Youth Football
Should Players Lose 5 lbs to Play
Should You Mirror the High School System

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze

We had wristcoaches and the kids memorized the plays by code names also. As a result they were able to go really fast. Ran into problems practicing because the defense memorized them to, plus we had kids play both ways. We had to use 3 numbers with a hot number.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: