Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Pinball Drill

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

"Pinball" is like "Gauntlet" only the two lines are about a yard apart and the runner is not running down the middle of line being hit by hand shields.  Instead of them attacking him, he's attacking them.  This is shown below:

|
                  D4      |
                    |    D3
                  D2      |
                  |      D1
                            |
                R1

R1 has the ball.  D's are defenders with hand shields standing on a line with one foot inside the line and one foot outside (I use PVC pipe to make the line or rope.). R1 is going to hit D1 with his shoulder pad hard enough to knock D1 outside the line.  The distance between R1 and D1 is 3 yards max. 

After R1 hits D1 he runs and hits D2, also 3 yards away, to knock him outside the line.  From D2 he goes to D3 and then D4.  In effect, R1 is a pinball and the D's are the pins.  And the pinball gets points.  He gets one point for every defender he knocks over the line.  Any defender he doesn't knock over he has to go back and hit again until he's knocked outside the line (No points for that kid). 

Time the Running Back for how long it takes him to get through.  You want to practice him at getting through as fast as possible while scoring the maximum number of points.     

Defenders are allowed to put one foot six inches back (Otherwise they get knocked on their butts!).  Use little guys at first your RB can mow down.  Add bigger D's to increase RB's challenge.  Never add a D to the drill so big and tough that RB can't knock him out (Maybe that D should be made RB?).  Your RB is to have SUCCESS!  We want him to get his 4 points every time.

Notice RB learns to hit inside shoulder of the shield holder, maintain balance, and go up to the next man, AND HE LEARNS TO HIT HARD!  It translates to:

Hit Inside Shoulder : Hit half the Man
Maintain Balance: Stumble Drill
Up to next man: One Cut
Hit Hard: 5 yards

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

How far should the FB go between hitting each defender in the drill?

ReplyQuote
Cadell
(@cadell)
Bronze

Glad you put this up. I remember either reading or watching (my memory isn't the greatest) this drill and couldn't remember specifics.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

How far should the FB go between hitting each defender in the drill?

3 yards max

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I did this drill with whole team yesterday to help me decide who my RB was going to be.  Even though I run zone out of spread, I don't have any speed this year so I need a tough runner.

It was hilarious!  Everybody got to hold dummies so when big kids were holding it was very hard for runner.  I know instructions said not to do that, but I just let everybody go and we rotated. 

Only a couple of kids got all 4 points on any rep. 

We had some awesome collisions on that first dummy.  Kids were fighting not to get knocked off line too. 

I was using two long ropes staked to ground for lines.  Kids were doing the splits to avoid not getting knocked 2 feet off the line and keeping that one foot over the line.  So I made a rule that if you get knocked way to the side it still counted as a point - I am still toying with that one.

If you knocked kid completely off his feet it was two points. 

Also, kids started hitting the same dummy 2 or three times in a row to push kid off and we had to ban that too.

Fun drill.  They liked that more than gauntlet.  They said after practice can we do the pin wheel drill or paint ball drill again? 

I don't think many of these kids know what a pin ball machine is.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Give me another cool drill Clark.

I know you had one for stalk blocking.  Don't remember where it is.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Give me another cool drill Clark.

I know you had one for stalk blocking.  Don't remember where it is.

Defender

Stalk Blocker

Coach with ball

Stalk blocker faces defender about 5 yards apart.  Now roll the football on the ground behind the blocker and to one side or the other.  Stalk blocker does not know where it is.  The defender now goes for the ball.  Blocker has to keep defender from getting to the ball by shoving him, hands on shoulder pads, in direction the defender wants to go.  This causes the defender to overshoot the ball.  Blocker comes out fast but slows down at last second to stay under control.

Count the time it takes defender to reach the ball ("One Monkey, two monkeys, three monkeys , four, five monkeys, six monkeys seven monkeys more!  Eight!"

When you say "Eight" that's when the defender should reach the ball.  Of course, the first two times you try, they'll reach the ball in "two monkeys".  Then one defender will go "four" and "hold the record".  Now the competition starts as everybody tries to beat his record.  In just the first time you run this drill you should have two kids reach 8 seconds/monkeys.

Did you actually use tackling dummies instead of hand shields in Pinball? 

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Hand shields.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

This is a great drill. Once we ran it where the runner had to get the bag holder out but it taught bad habits and was really counter to what the drill is teaching. It did seem like it would bring out some toughness and tenacity but again, it was just not what we wre trying to get at. We had a great hs running back who blew his knee out at Wisconsin on our staff. He showed it to us.

ReplyQuote
Share: