Slot Formation Plays

SnapIt
(@trentsutton)
Copper
Topic starter  

From Slot, I’m thinking that the main plays run are potentially:  

25 power 

Pass left

What other plays do guys like to run from Slot to keep the D from keying on this formation?

"Success is the peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable." - Coach John Wooden

Topic Tags
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Greetings

The man I consider my 1st true football mentor brought the Slot I with him when he became HC at the H.School where I was on staff (I was an assistant football coach and HC of the wrestling team)...  he was a disciple of Pennsylvania's Al Black.  

Tho we were primarily a Sprint Draw offense, we did a lot with the option as well.  We ran the Sprint Draw to the Slot side, for us it was the strong side, we ran Iso both sides and Option to both sides, but we ran to slot ~ 70% of the time.  The purpose was to set up the counter for the slot back.  Slot back was generally our best receiver and a good runner.  We wanted teams to key the formation, that inside counter with the slot back  was really good to us, because teams were  keying the formation.

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
SnapIt
(@trentsutton)
Copper
Topic starter  

Nice to have some sports discussion with everything shut down right now.    

Your thought on the inside counter is very intriguing.    Specifically in the DCWT offense I’m wondering if the angles would work to run Slot 32 trap or maybe the better option would be Slot Left 36 Kick?   The key would probably have to have the HB take a delay step left to let the FB clear then come off his butt to receive the handoff.    I like that!!!

"Success is the peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable." - Coach John Wooden

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @trentsutton

The key would probably have to have the HB take a delay step left to let the FB clear then come off his butt to receive the handoff.

Hi Coach

We ran the counter with the slot back, but yes, this is what we were after.  The slot back took a step backward to gain depth and better angle.  The QB would mesh with the FB and ride him almost into the hole, (FB would then fill for the trapping OG) the timing was set for the Slot to come  right off the FB ride, essentially taking the ball as qb came off the ride.  We'd trap the 1st defender past the playside G, and the Slot back would cut upfield.  It was a consistent big play for us, even when we had talent poor teams.  We'd also run it with the slot coming in motion from a flanker position.   

Hope this helps 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
SnapIt
(@trentsutton)
Copper
Topic starter  

Ahhhhhhhh yes a step backward.   Wondered how that angle would work, but that would do it.    I wouldn’t have thought  about stepping back.   That is awesome.   For us DCWTers it would just be regular 32 Trap run from Slot with the Slot back stepping backwards rather than sideways. I will run this for sure!!!

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: