Notifications
Clear all

The Draw Play

tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
Topic starter  

From a thread on another topic the draw play was brought up  https://football.dumcoach.com/community/general-defense-discussion/eagle-front-in-youth/.   Specifically, how no one ever sees it at youth level.  It got me to thinking about installing a draw play based out of the DCWT.  The draw play seems to work better to me with pass blocking. I was thinking of adding a QB Draw that uses SLOT PASS LEFT or, just PASS LEFT.  I like using PASS LEFT because the WB is attacking the DE. And, SLOT PASS LEFT .

Has anyone else ever given thought to a draw play? If so, what ideas do you have to installing & running?

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Something I stumbled upon is Sally. They have half the line pass block while the other half double teams. This makes a HUGE hole for you to run counter through.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@coach-kyle

Sally was another play that I was looking at.  Using the DCWT, I'm thinking I could base the Sally play off of 56/65 Kick, maybe? Or, 47 Loop? Adjust the blocking accordingly. This is something that I was looking at installing a little later on in the season after the players are pretty comfortable with what they're doing now.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@tiger46 - I'd add shovel as well. When I played 12U in the Stone Ages, we threw a lot and teams would pin their ears back to get the passer. That's when we ran H-Left Utah... right side pass blocks, LT pass blocks, LG pulls if there's no one on his outside shoulder (otherwise, he takes that man). QB flips to FB/H, who cuts it up at 6.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I installed shovel pass (we did it as a chest pass) in the shotgun double wing where I was coaching almost a decade ago, and it was devastating, but you have to pass enough to set it up.  I wouldn't recommend it for those playing QB under center, even if you fade back enough to create the space for it.

Nobody pulled, we just counted on drawing the DE deep enough to take himself out of the play.  Everyone on that side of the play went to 2nd level at the snap.  We motioned the flanker from that side just like on one of our running plays where the QB does a half turn to hand behind him.  In this case he just bucket steps while starting to turn his back side to the play, the beginning of what he'd do to hand it off to the motion back, and then chest passes to the opposite flanker coming in front of him.  The back side just pass protects.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@bob-goodman - Love the design, coach!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The reason the shovel pass works is that although we coach DL (and blitzers) not to penetrate more than so deep, the quarterback or other runner in front of you is always a stated exception.  So the QB can always draw the rushers as deep as he is, and when he turns his back he's an irresistible target.

Wow, the spell checker has it as "irresistible", not "irresistable"!  I did not know that.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

If you click on this link and go to the 9:31 point in this video, you can see our equivalent of the shovel pass.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

There's a thread a while back where Clark talked about "draw" as a long trap and he diagrammed a play I beleive.  Since pass right and left are based off of belly you maybe need to be creative with the draw.  My first thought is run it with the HB and backside tackle pull and kick. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Admittedly, I'm a bit wary of trying a shovel pass.  That's no criticism to Bob or the shovel pass, either.  More so to my lack of confidence in me being able to successfully coach it. I like CoachDP's version of shovel pass because it's deceptive, simple and functional and, I trust our guys more with making a hand-off than I do with our QB executing a shovel pass.  Two other things that came to mind were 1.) Formation as many people out of the way with Big Trips or 5 Wide. Run QB Draw  Or, 2.) Modify Clark's 20 Midline (FB Dive). Use a 1-Back setup. 4 WR's.  Offset the FB a little and have him shuffle back into his normal spot as the QB drops back. Hand-off to the FB.  The 4 WR's are running verticals and/or out routes. 

We have two good sized FB's that have speed.  If I can ISO either one of them on a Mike we should win that battle.  We have a shifty little TB with speed and another TB that's taller and an absolute burner. He's the fastest player on the team.  Matching the burner up against a lone defender would be nice, too. To run QB Draw we'd have to have either the burner TB or one of the FB's take the snap. Last week, we lost our original QB to unrelated medical reasons. Our new QB doesn't have the speed or moves.  I'll try to find Clark's thread. I'm going to bookmark this thread as a reference while I continue to hash it out.  Again this is for later on in the season, anyway.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I miss spoke, long trap is for screen plays.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @coachdp

If you click on this link and go to the 9:31 point in this video, you can see our equivalent of the shovel pass.

--Dave

That was fun, looked like a cross between shovel pass and statue.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @coachdp

--Dave

That was fun, looked like a cross between shovel pass and statue.

The play was like a statue, but he shoveled it with his left hand.  It was something we'd played around with in practice and he was very good at flipping the ball out with his left hand.  Even in the video, the shovel is practically impossible to see.

We'd set it up earlier in the game with a pass to that motion man, so that the defense would think we were going back to that play and hopefully overcommit to it.  That's what happened.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: