O    O
            O                O
                  O    O O 0 O O            O
                          X  X X  X
                    X                    X
          X            X

X      X

X

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Your guess is as good as mine.  Without SEEING them and what they are trying to do, it's like asking me what the color blue smells like.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Not numbered up efficiently.Thats about the only thing I can tell you

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I call it the 47 speed easy 6 defense

But after that I have no clue

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

run slant into that big empty space 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

O    O
            O                O
                  O    O O 0 O O            O
                          X  X X  X
                    X                    X
          X            X

X      X

X

Coach - I stopped trying to worry about what defense a team was running and instead looked for what they were giving me based on where they lined up.  So many times kids are just lined up wrong and the other coach doesn't notice, so I stopped thinking "they are running a 5-3" vs. where we could most easily outnumber them at the point of attack based on alignment.  One of my first reads with the DCWT was the A  gaps, double A gap defenders takes away 20 Midline but almost always leaves the off tackle runs open.

Avoid the trap of watching your offense and watch the defense for a play or two.  If they line up like this they are giving you 47 speed, take it. 24, 25 Power and 38 power toss are all wide open as well IMO.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
Topic starter  

X  X X  X
                    X        X            X
          X           
                        X          X

X

This is our first opponent. I was looking back on this team from last year and this was their alignment against us, but the pictures/video clips weren't all that clear until I got them sorted out. In other clips, I think I figured out what they were trying to do (see above for corrections). It's a 4-3 and they brought their Mike on just about every play, except 3rd/4th and long, when he dropped back in coverage. LBs were at 2-3 yards, 2 Safeties at 8 yards and 1 S at 10-12 yards. 1 C always aligned on the wide side of the field. The ends never really played contain, but they didn't have to as they were monsters compared to our little guys so they just ran through us. Their players on this defense had studs at M and DE (all three are now starting on the varsity team as freshmen) and two good sized fast athletes on the OLBs. I know these 5 players have all moved on, so we'll see how these new players are.

If I recall correctly, as our linemen adjusted widths, the D-line moved with us, so I was thinking of running some max split calls and using our HB as the extra blocker up the middle. We don't have a lot of speed at WB right now, but as we get the new players caught up, we'll switch in the faster guys for 47 Speed. Might get some success with Wedge.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
Topic starter  

Coach - I stopped trying to worry about what defense a team was running and instead looked for what they were giving me based on where they lined up.  So many times kids are just lined up wrong and the other coach doesn't notice, so I stopped thinking "they are running a 5-3" vs. where we could most easily outnumber them at the point of attack based on alignment.  One of my first reads with the DCWT was the A  gaps, double A gap defenders takes away 20 Midline but almost always leaves the off tackle runs open.

Avoid the trap of watching your offense and watch the defense for a play or two.  If they line up like this they are giving you 47 speed, take it. 24, 25 Power and 38 power toss are all wide open as well IMO.

Great advice. I don't think we're ready for 47 speed yet, unless I get a chance to rep it a few times with one of our new signees this coming Monday.

My biggest problem last year was the horrible o-line coach we had. If we could have blocked properly we should have been able to really do well because this team never adjusted when we went to Beast, leaving our strong side overwhelming with numbers. He was just out of his depth when it came to effectively communicate how to block. Hopefully, there is a better result this year. (Yes, that was me.)

ReplyQuote
Share: