Clear all

Considering the KB Defense  

Page 1 / 2

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Greetings Coaches,

I'm intrigued with the KB, have downloaded Coach Wilkins' Intro to the KB and the 2019 version of the pdf.  

Tomorrow night the HC and I will be sitting down to go over the intro and pdf, and whether or not we'll buy in.  We'd been very good on Defense in 2017 - 2018, but the guy who knew it best moved up with his kid and our '19 and '20 teams were pretty good, but not as dominate as we'd like.  Reading some of the KB stuff on this forum spurred my curiosity, and so here we are...  if we do decide to go all in, I'll be buying the available materials.

I've been reading thru the KB threads, but they seem to run out a while back.  Anything new I should be aware, or be prepared for?

Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Clark is now an Octogenarian so communicating with him is hit and miss. He is not ill or anything like that....just off doing other things. 

Other than that....the KB is a solid choice. We have run a slightly modified version on and off for the last 6 or 7 years. 

I only say on and off because I bore easily. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

There is tons of support for the KB on the forum. Coach Tony M was very helpful when I first began running the defense. I believe TPJ still runs it as well. Overall I thought it was a fine defense, just not my cup of tea. If you aren't playing well coached teams every week it can be a bit much in the sense that your players are looking for tells that simply aren't there. It is an extremely well thought out system and it does cover pretty much anything. We also had tremendous success against Spread offenses while running the KB.

I'm more than willing to help you out any way I can, but some of these other guys may have better insight

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rpatric

f you aren't playing well coached teams every week

That's pretty much the case in our league...   I've made no bones about it, much of our success is due to how bad the other teams are coached. 

Perhaps the main thing my HC and disagree on is how we view the non-league games.   His position is that winning the league is what is important, and doesn't want to get too caught up in the hype of our league vs other leagues.   He particularly doesn't want to get any of our kids hurt...  For me, I believe the non-league games provide a better test of how we're doing as coaches.    BTW:  We do 2 cross-league challenges... the two 1st place teams play, the two second place teams play and so on down the line.  (We didn't do this in 2020 due to Covid concerns) Since we've been doing this, we've played the other leagues 1st place teams every time, and have a 4-2 record in those games.   Some of which were real nail-biters.  

Its really the non-league teams - most of which are system offenses - I'm concerned with...  

HC is more concerned with finding a way to dominate with lesser talent.  When you draft last every yr, it eventually catches up to you, and the sun don't shine on the same dog every day, sooner or later we'll have a down yr and he wants to be ready for it. 

One of things I picked up clinics - multiple times, from multiple sources - prepare your team to beat the best team on your schedule, if you can beat them, you'll generally be able to beat the rest.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coaches, 

I appreciate the offers of support. I'm hoping - if the on-line clinic happens - someone will cover the KB defense. 

Thanx

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@coyote

I would recommend checking out the materials regardless. It is a very interesting system and I'm sure even if you decide not to run it you can gain something from it.

mahonz and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

This may not be the best place to ask, but how does someone get access to the playbooks?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @seth54

This may not be the best place to ask, but how does someone get access to the playbooks?

PM Dumcoach. 

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

Coaches, 

I appreciate the offers of support. I'm hoping - if the on-line clinic happens - someone will cover the KB defense. 

Thanx

Did you check the On -Line archives? Im pretty sure someone did one. Maybe even Clark. 

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Did you check the On -Line archives?

I've looked through the archived material on the KB, got a ton of good stuff, but didn't notice any clinics.  May have just missed it, I'll look again.

FWIW, the HC's mom fell a hurt herself pretty bad, we had to postpone the meeting.   

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

Did you check the On -Line archives?

I've looked through the archived material on the KB, got a ton of good stuff, but didn't notice any clinics.  May have just missed it, I'll look again.

FWIW, the HC's mom fell a hurt herself pretty bad, we had to postpone the meeting.   

I just looked....no KB. One coach who is still active on the Forum that I would begin communicating with is Zach. When it comes to Defense....he is the man. Lots of nuggets regardless of what you decide to run .

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin

@seth54

Any members who have joined since the change to our new site (~May 2020) can become Sustaining Members and have access to all of the Custom Systems we have available. Please PM me for info.

Chris

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

@mosleythecat

thanks, I just did

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Greetings Coaches, 

After 2 postponements, we  were finally able to meet last night and discuss going to the Killer Bee Defense.  

HC likes what he sees, wants to go over the pdf. on his own, before committing but really liked what was presented.    He likes to let things percolate a bit, before making big changes, but I’d be really surprised if we don't move to the KB.

When he gives the go ahead (as I expect) I’ll be buying the material I’ve seen on-line. 

But in the meantime…  for those who run it, or play against it…

1) Are their any common issues you know you’re going to have to deal with just because it’s what kids are going to do?

[i.e., we know from experience that at first, in our Offense kids are going to run past the hole trying to get outside, because they don’t see grass on account of all the blockers we’ve got in front of them, and their past success was running outside …  so we expect it and are pre-prepared to deal with it]

2) Are there any particular weaknesses we need to aware of and prepare for?

3) Are there any tweaks you’ve found that improve the Defense?

Thanx

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Greetings Coaches, 

After 2 postponements, we  were finally able to meet last night and discuss going to the Killer Bee Defense.  

HC likes what he sees, wants to go over the pdf. on his own, before committing but really liked what was presented.    He likes to let things percolate a bit, before making big changes, but I’d be really surprised if we don't move to the KB.

When he gives the go ahead (as I expect) I’ll be buying the material I’ve seen on-line. 

But in the meantime…  for those who run it, or play against it…

1) Are their any common issues you know you’re going to have to deal with just because it’s what kids are going to do?

[i.e., we know from experience that at first, in our Offense kids are going to run past the hole trying to get outside, because they don’t see grass on account of all the blockers we’ve got in front of them, and their past success was running outside …  so we expect it and are pre-prepared to deal with it]

2) Are there any particular weaknesses we need to aware of and prepare for?

3) Are there any tweaks you’ve found that improve the Defense?

Thanx

Dont freak out if you give up 40 points game one. It happened to me and to Matt C. We both won our championships that same season. 

Like anything it needs time to gel.

DO NOT PLAY MP's at DG if you can help it. They will end up in your second level players laps. 

Clark in all his glory designed this really nice Defense after Landry's 43 Flex. The NFL didn't wear mouthpieces in the 1970's. Some kids now a day wear pacifiers. This will hinder all of the communication POST SNAP that is required in the manual. It does not work with some of these mouthpieces kids wear. 

My fix was to teach them how to play catch man. Some Groups get it and do it...others it takes more time. It requires a TON of reps in practice but its worth it. Catch man is basically what Clark wants to accomplish with his coverage without the need to communicate POST SNAP. I can go into heavy detail in another post. 

The best KB defenses we have fielded had a Manamial at MIKE and we let him play football. The manual confines the position a bit too much IMHO.

Im not sure what age group you are coaching but with older kids we changed the Rules of Alignment for the OLB's and how that relates to coverage. Not really critical with the younger kids so I wont go into those details until you respond. 

Here are two games. Same team 5 games apart vs quality opponents. The run very bad was a mess. The run very good was after we began to gel. If I remember right....these were 4th graders in the Spring....so almost 5th graders...but it was our first season using this Defense. 

KB run very bad

KB run very good

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by mahonz

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: