Notifications
Clear all

Counting the line  

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
Topic starter  

What is a good way to teach your players to count the O-line so they line up in the proper position? I have never done it and don't want to botch it. Last season Mike was responsible for finding the strong side of the line and calling a shift.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I tell the safeties to start with the 2nd man on the LOS (including split ends) and adjust based on #2 receiver. I make sure to explain the difference between #2 receiver and 2nd man on the LOS.

I tell Mike to line up over the 4th man from the sideline. If he counts 8 men on the LOS (yes, it happens), he lines up between the 2 "middle guys".

Mahonz works with the D-line, but if it were me, I'd tell the DE's to line up over the 3rd man from the sideline (or where he would be if he's split out), slanted in and flexed a yard and a half off the LOS.

I would tell the DT's to line up head up over the 3rd man from the sideline. For some reason, DT's tend to struggle the most with alignment and my slant calls. No idea why.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

The player most likely to spot an unbalanced line is the weak side corner.  However, it is best to test your defense by lining up unbalanced and have those who spot it raise their hands.  These are the ones you want watching for it in a game. 

The manual allows the weak side DE to change sides of the ball allowing for just one player to move with an unbalanced line.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

My DE yells "me", then people shift towards him.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

We actually scrimmage a USW team. They formation like crazy and try to catch you in the shift. Kids picked it up quickly. They were 11yrs old at the time.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Everyone of my kids count for their initial alignment.  The DEs count starts at TE/SE.. he lines up on #1:based on where the TE would be if he wasn't split out. The DT counts the third man over..he is heads up on him.  Mike lines up on #4..(if #4 is not the snapper, he yells "Unbalanced"  and will shift the DTs over if necessary..
CB aligns on #1 eligible...  safety lines up on lineman #2.. this should be an uncovered lineman between DE and DT.  If there is no uncovered lineman, then he will tell DT "Ethan, shift right" if on left side or "Joe, shift left" on right side.

This way I have Mike, and both safeties double checking for unbalanced.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

In what we see, the DE knows that there is only 1 man outside him, on the LOS. If there is more, the line shifts towards him.  So they initially  line up on the ball. We dont see any wing on formations.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

In what we see, the DE knows that there is only 1 man outside him, on the LOS. If there is more, the line shifts towards him.  So they initially  line up on the ball. We dont see any wing on formations.

🙂

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Nice and simple, I like it.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Share: