Notifications

Graduating to the Talon  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Texan
(@ccleebelt)
Gold
May 28, 2016 8:35 am  

Yep.  We found ourselves in Steeler almost always as this all played out a few years ago (7th, 8th and Fresh).  We had Bear in our back pocket though based on scouting and if we new we might use it that week, we repped it.  Typically, this was combined with the Dragon call which told the boys to think that something screwy was about to happen.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
May 28, 2016 8:11 pm  

the Dragon call which told the boys to think that something screwy was about to happen.

Now there's an interesting call!  8)

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
May 31, 2016 8:56 am  

Texan -

Thoughts on how I was planning to move from KB to 46 using different players than you did ? I don't think we will use the 46 as much as the KB based on the teams I saw last season. Maybe against one team, the one we beat in the championship, would we have been in 46 the entire game.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Texan
(@ccleebelt)
Gold
June 7, 2016 12:32 pm  

Texan -

Thoughts on how I was planning to move from KB to 46 using different players than you did ? I don't think we will use the 46 as much as the KB based on the teams I saw last season. Maybe against one team, the one we beat in the championship, would we have been in 46 the entire game.

I think it depends really on your personnel.  We did it our way based on the smarts off the kids we had at certain spots.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
June 8, 2016 10:12 am  

I think it depends really on your personnel.  We did it our way based on the smarts off the kids we had at certain spots.

Ok. I am basing mine of the smarts, or lack thereof, of the HC.  :'(

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
June 9, 2016 3:40 am  

Ok. I am basing mine of the smarts, or lack thereof, of the HC.  :'(

So you're just going to run the "Hit somebody!" Defense?    ;D

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
June 9, 2016 3:44 am  

So you're just going to run the "Hit somebody!" Defense?    ;D

You make that sound like it's a bad thing

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
June 9, 2016 4:32 am  

You make that sound like it's a bad thing

Well, in defense of my implication the last time I saw that ran, a player asked the coach "the Ref's a "somebody" too, right?"

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
June 9, 2016 12:51 pm  

So yesterday at HS practice the O-line coach was yelling at his dudes during our run game session....and I quote, "If you don't know who you are supposed to block, BLOCK SOMEBODY."

I was like, sweet....I'm in youth ball all over again but now I am apart of, "that" team.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
June 9, 2016 6:29 pm  

So yesterday at HS practice the O-line coach was yelling at his dudes during our run game session....and I quote, "If you don't know who you are supposed to block, BLOCK SOMEBODY."

I was like, sweet....I'm in youth ball all over again but now I am apart of, "that" team.

Blocking somebody is better than blocking nobody.  In a perfect world, every man knows how to block and who to block and hit their man until a second or two after the whistle blows.  I would however; rather have a player hitting someone rather than standing around looking confused during a play.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
June 9, 2016 6:50 pm  

I've said the same thing. When kids don't know who to block they often just stand there and block the hole. My scheme isn't "block somebody," but its better to block the wrong guy than to block no one.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
June 9, 2016 8:50 pm  

We basically have that rule, too, although we put it a little differently.

There are times when things don't work out exactly like you want.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
June 9, 2016 9:14 pm  

Blocking somebody is better than blocking nobody.  In a perfect world, every man knows how to block and who to block and hit their man until a second or two after the whistle blows.  I would however; rather have a player hitting someone rather than standing around looking confused during a play.

Sure blocking someone is better than no one... But how's about stopping the drill or pulling that kid aside and coaching him, and his teammates, on who to block instead of the, "somebody rule". I'd rather get it right in practice than hope we block, "somebody" in the game. Cause that somebody is probably someone else's somebody which leaves the other somebody free to make the tackle over and over. And the player won't be wrong in the game because he did what he was told.

What we allow we accept as being okay. So me .... I'm not proponent  of the, "block somebody" rule system.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
June 10, 2016 4:57 am  

Sure blocking someone is better than no one... But how's about stopping the drill or pulling that kid aside and coaching him, and his teammates, on who to block instead of the, "somebody rule". I'd rather get it right in practice than hope we block, "somebody" in the game. Cause that somebody is probably someone else's somebody which leaves the other somebody free to make the tackle over and over. And the player won't be wrong in the game because he did what he was told.

What we allow we accept as being okay. So me .... I'm not proponent  of the, "block somebody" rule system.

Who is saying not to work on getting it right in practice?

And there will STILL be times players are wrong in the game.  But I think being sure and wrong and being confused and doing nothing are two different things.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
June 10, 2016 5:36 am  

Who is saying not to work on getting it right in practice?

And there will STILL be times players are wrong in the game.  But I think being sure and wrong and being confused and doing nothing are two different things.

Mahonz and I had 2 of the most physically dominant players in the league on our Spring team. Both had the problem of standing around like a dumbass after their blocking assignment decided to go looking for adventure. My job was often to give them as many defensive looks as I could during scout, so they got plenty of reps against a d-lineman doing what he's supposed to do, a d-lineman doing stunting in a clever way, a d-lineman going off the reservation, a linebacker "walk up" blitz, lb delayed blitz, tap and go . . . you name it. Plenty of repping, fixing, "yes coach", etc. When we think we've got it fixed, we go back and watch game film and there they are stuck in concrete. Yeah, sometimes "block somebody" has its merits.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: