Notifications
Clear all

Practice Plans  

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Any veteran KB coaches be willing to share their practice plans ? For 9-10's. Probably not a ton of passing going on. I like to go 45 mins or so on INDY time (group up positins as needed for different drills)

Thanks in advance !

Passio Bellator

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Run down sweeps!

Defend off tackle!

Stop Wedge!

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
Topic starter  

How do you break down postion coaches ?

I saw somewhere that DT's and Mike group up ?

Corners by themselves to start ?

OLB's and Safeties ?

I like being very detailed....so I will have lots of questions....

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Let's take one drill at a time:

For sweep I'm going to use Mike, both safeties, both OLB's, and both corners. 

<---- B2  C2
                                                  B1    *    *     
                                                                M1
                                                        S1              S2
                          C1

B2 and C2 in red are the offense as split backs.  C2 has the ball.  B2 is lead blocker.  The  (*) is a cone marking #1 WR.  The second cone marks DE and the third marks the football for the split backs to line up on (Backs are 5 yards deep). Practice Run is to defense's left.  Include a safe sideline about 27 yards from the "ball" cone.  If C2 runs out of bounds, he can't be tackled (Let's not kill C2.)

B1 ricochets off B2.  SI runs the the alley.  The play may not get any further than this.  But, if it does, M, S2 and C1 run down C2 at the sideline without crossing LOS.  You need two coaches.  One to teach the "ricochet" and the other to make certain everyone kills the bee, C1 drops three steps, and no one crosses the LOS. 

Now, once M and S2 and C1 reach the sideline, they can cross LOS (The runner may be trapped behind the LOS by S1 and B1 and so now they can help get him.).

Notice, C1 is only aligning on a cone.  I'm not letting him be blocked in practice even though he will be in a game.  In practice he has no excuse not to be in on the tackle.  Get him attacking.  As soon as he runs, stops, stands, and watches others make the tackle (and he will) he becomes a wasted player.

If you have an extra player, add him later as a TE and have him reach block B1.  If TE blocks B1, B1 must "ricochet" off him and into lead blocker, B2, then ricochet to C2.  He must at least take B2 out.

OKAY!  While these seven players are doing this, the remaining four are doing this:

E2  T2 *
                                              E1    T1
                                                            C

This time (*) is a football and C is a coach.  It is one yard off the LOS (approximately between the feet of where a QB under center would be standing.).  Players in red are the offensive line. Coach is behind the players and signals E2 what he wants him to do (pull or come out to block him or block E1) and then  signals cadence and calls it.  On the snap count T2 tries to block T1 who will either slant left or right. If right, T2 tries to keep T1 from getting on the ball (T1 is practicing getting to a QB's ankles).  If T1 slants left, he is to get by T2 while staying on his feet.  E1 reads E2 and counters whatever he does. T1 will first stand back in front of coach and face him where coach will point with his finger which way to slant and then go to the line.

After seven minutes both drills are stopped and run the opposite direction for another seven (Sweep drill is now going right with C1 as ball carrier and B2 as lead blocker. T2 and E2 are now defenders and T1 and E1 are now blockers to the right of the ball. 

This allows you to run your drills with only 11 players but more can be added or subbed. Later, you can combine both groups into one, with the sweep players taking off on the cadence used for the two DL's.     

You're using three coaches total and fifteen minutes total.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thanks DC. I like doing Indy's working on position fundementals first (stance alignment etc...) but will progress to these drills and others. I know there was a coach that had a pass coverage drill he used that I liked a lot. I'll track that down as well.

I have a mike, one safety, and one DE Frozen already.  All 3 are very good from what I saw on film. They had very little coaching on position assignments. Finding some aggressive corners is my concern but we will make it happen.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Share: