Notifications

So damned frustrated!  

RSS

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 4, 2016 5:13 pm  

Ok, for the life of me no matter what I do I can not get my safeties to do their jobs. It seems they absolutely refuse to attack off the OLB like they are supposed too. No matter what I do no matter what drill I run they wont do it! I could teach a 8 year old to do it and have him do it every play but I can't get a group of 11 year olds to and its hurting the D. They are either backing up on the snap or they flow parallel with the back, and when they go up against a lead blocker they wont hit him. Instead they want to dance with him.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 4, 2016 5:20 pm  

Probably need to find new safeties. 

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
September 4, 2016 5:56 pm  

Shawnm speaks the truth.  But, just in case you're stuck with the safeties that you have; are they doing those same things in practice?

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 4, 2016 6:33 pm  

Shawnm speaks the truth.  But, just in case you're stuck with the safeties that you have; are they doing those same things in practice?

Yes they are

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 4, 2016 6:44 pm  

This is where you have to rep cousins drill and sweep drill with them , olbs and mike.  Teach them how the olbs ricochet and why and why the cousins work together.

It might be because your front four are not doing there jobs too.. they might be letting a blocker get to them so they cannot just hit downhill

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 9:43 am  

Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your drills.  You are having a problem with getting your safeties to focus.  They're simply not listening to you.  You may need to instruct them while they're in 'listening position'.  Listening position is nothing more than the good old U.S. Army front-leaning rest position.  Push-up position to civilians.  😀

Having players repeatedly screw up their assignments eats up practice time and wastes practice time.  What I suggest will eat up some practice time.  But, it will not waste practice time.

The objective is to focus; not to punish.  Start with teaching them the importance of Killing the Bee while they're in listening position.  I would make sure that their eyes are on me while I demonstrate how to Kill the Bee, repeatedly. I would then demonstrate what they do (back-pedal) and then explain to them why that's wrong and not what they should be doing.  Once again, I'd demonstrate Killing the Bee, how we KtB, and why we KtB, etc... Explain and demonstrate it until you see that they're visibly stressed from maintaining the listening position.  If they're knees hit the ground, start all over. If they seem to understand, let them stand and demonstrate how to KtB.  And, then have them explain the why and the importance of KtB.  The objective is to focus; not to punish.

Move on to the next phase- movement.  Once again, instruct them while they're in listening position about how & where to move after KtB. Have one safety bear-crawl through to their landmark just outside of the OLB on their side. Continue explaining his patch, objective, etc... while he's crawling there. Have him remain in listening position there while you demonstrate exactly his path just behind the OLB, or whatever. You may even have him do a few up-downs to emphasize him remembering his landmark. Besides, you don't want them on their wrists or bear-crawling for too long.  The objective is to focus; not to punish. 

Have that safety finish bear-crawling to where he would meet the RB or Lead Blocker had he been on his feet and moving at full speed. Once there, have him wait in listening position while you go get the other safety and bear crawl him through his assignment. They should both end up at their correct spots to make a tackle.  Have them crawl back to their original safety positions, while reviewing to them KtB, landmark, killshot, etc...  Let them stand and demonstrate KtB; then repeat the entire process going the other way.

Start all over with live bear-crawling.  Which means blow the whistle, have them KtB and take off bear-crawling through their assignments. It usually isn't necessary to teach them past the first full demonstration to one side.  If they get it; they get it.  Do not continue with listening position or bear-crawls. Have them stand and practice their jobs normally.  The objective is to focus; not to punish.

Run the 'Cousins Drill' and any of Clark's drills.  Ask them if they now understand exactly what they're to do or, do they need to have it 'explained' to them all over again?  If they're not doing their jobs by then you really have picked the wrong two players to be your safeties.  Replace them.

As for taking on a lead blocker, we have our entire team learn how to take on lead blocks.  Yes, there is a reason for us doing so.  But, you can demonstrate it while they're in listening position.  We really start the players only a very short distance away from each other during 'Ricochet Drills' until they become more used to it.  As the season progresses, LB'ers, Safeties & RB's run through the drill almost daily.  But, everyone else only goes through occasionally so that they won't forget how to be a lead blocker or how to take on a lead blocker.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 10:37 am  

Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your drills.  You are having a problem with getting your safeties to focus.  They're simply not listening to you.  You may need to instruct them while they're in 'listening position'.  Listening position is nothing more than the good old U.S. Army front-leaning rest position.  Push-up position to civilians.  😀

Having players repeatedly screw up their assignments eats up practice time and wastes practice time.  What I suggest will eat up some practice time.  But, it will not waste practice time.

The objective is to focus; not to punish.  Start with teaching them the importance of Killing the Bee while they're in listening position.  I would make sure that their eyes are on me while I demonstrate how to Kill the Bee, repeatedly. I would then demonstrate what they do (back-pedal) and then explain to them why that's wrong and not what they should be doing.  Once again, I'd demonstrate Killing the Bee, how we KtB, and why we KtB, etc... Explain and demonstrate it until you see that they're visibly stressed from maintaining the listening position.  If they're knees hit the ground, start all over. If they seem to understand, let them stand and demonstrate how to KtB.  And, then have them explain the why and the importance of KtB.  The objective is to focus; not to punish.

Move on to the next phase- movement.  Once again, instruct them while they're in listening position about how & where to move after KtB. Have one safety bear-crawl through to their landmark just outside of the OLB on their side. Continue explaining his patch, objective, etc... while he's crawling there. Have him remain in listening position there while you demonstrate exactly his path just behind the OLB, or whatever. You may even have him do a few up-downs to emphasize him remembering his landmark. Besides, you don't want them on their wrists or bear-crawling for too long.  The objective is to focus; not to punish. 

Have that safety finish bear-crawling to where he would meet the RB or Lead Blocker had he been on his feet and moving at full speed. Once there, have him wait in listening position while you go get the other safety and bear crawl him through his assignment. They should both end up at their correct spots to make a tackle.  Have them crawl back to their original safety positions, while reviewing to them KtB, landmark, killshot, etc...  Let them stand and demonstrate KtB; then repeat the entire process going the other way.

Start all over with live bear-crawling.  Which means blow the whistle, have them KtB and take off bear-crawling through their assignments. It usually isn't necessary to teach them past the first full demonstration to one side.  If they get it; they get it.  Do not continue with listening position or bear-crawls. Have them stand and practice their jobs normally.  The objective is to focus; not to punish.

Run the 'Cousins Drill' and any of Clark's drills.  Ask them if they now understand exactly what they're to do or, do they need to have it 'explained' to them all over again?  If they're not doing their jobs by then you really have picked the wrong two players to be your safeties.  Replace them.

As for taking on a lead blocker, we have our entire team learn how to take on lead blocks.  Yes, there is a reason for us doing so.  But, you can demonstrate it while they're in listening position.  We really start the players only a very short distance away from each other during 'Ricochet Drills' until they become more used to it.  As the season progresses, LB'ers, Safeties & RB's run through the drill almost daily.  But, everyone else only goes through occasionally so that they won't forget how to be a lead blocker or how to take on a lead blocker.

I like this idea, I may have to try it out.

I may be replacing two of the safeties with two kids who may not be the most athletic, but they are obedient and are eager to be anywhere I put them. What gets me is, some of my "MPP" players go out and play harder at times than some of my "studs" do. They may not be making the big time plays but they do give it their all.

ReplyQuote
dan82564
(@dan82564)
Silver
September 5, 2016 5:30 pm  

My fastest / best tackler last year just wouldn't attack down field for me no matter how much I repped it. I ended up moving him to Left OLB. He dominated at that position. I replaced him with a first year player and by the end of the year (post season time) he had the position down. We dominated in the post season only giving up 6 points in 2 games. Sometimes you just need to make a change.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
September 6, 2016 8:52 am  

Have to find players that fit the position, not just the eyeball test. This may mean moving these kids to several different spots to find one they do well at and in turn help out the team.

Safeties have to replace the OLB and flow downhill or your not going to do very well. We rep Off tackle and Sweeps every day for 10 mins with safeties and Mike. It becomes so redundant that we have to add things to keep them interested but it builds the muscle memory and they do exactly what they have been trained to do in the games. Then add the OLB's (after they did their ricochet drill and worked with the corners on stopping sweeps). Then add the corners....you have to build the defense piece by piece before throwing them all together.

There is a fine line though. I realized I was doing to much INDY work on D and not bringing them together enough so they can see how it all fits and we can diagnose problems.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Share: