Page 4 / 5
  RSS

O-Lcoach
(@o-lcoach)
Copper
October 11, 2014 4:32 pm  

Nice to hear, Chris. I've been wondering how you been
doing. The header I'm under went a different
direction on defense but still only given up 14 so far.
Know if we can get the offense rolling!

Randy

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
October 12, 2014 12:08 pm  

Our last two games were shut outs- luckily so.  We won one game 6-0; the other 7-0.

Made adjustments at LOLB.  Switched him and the safety.  Our defense works a lot better that way.  I was really happy with the last game.  It was against that same team we lost against in the opener.  We handed them their first loss of the season.  We were missing our starting RDE( an absolute beast and probably the best player on the team) and our starting FS.  So, I put our starting MLB at FS and a back-up DT at RDE and, the players came through for us. 

This last game we gave up one big run at the start of the game (ROLB brain-farted).  Later in the game we gave up one other first down.  I really should've asked for a measurement.  But, it was mostly negative yardage for the other team the entire game.  It was also the first game this season that I used defensive calls.  We used a stacked goaline look when they were inside our 10 after recovering a fumble. The players adjusted well to twins, trips and four.  Almost had an INT.  But, the SS and CB fought over the ball.  Had several sacks.  Also, our team did well against two jet sweep attempts.  The other team really threw everything they had in their bag at our defense- mostly out of frustration, I think. Our boys handled all of it quite well.  The light bulb finally came on for some of our MPP's.  They were actually wreaking a bit of havoc up front out of the DT positions.  Other than the great field position they got from the fumble recovery, they were never a real threat to score.

The defense received rave reviews.  One parent was so excited the he ran out on the field during our post-game huddle and was just babbling on about the defense.  We coaches had to give him a few stern looks before he caught on that his presence was not required during a post-game huddle.  ;D 

So, a big 'Thank You' to  DC for the defense and,  thanks to all of the other coaches on this forum for being so helpful and sharing knowledge and information.

β€œIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Coach Davis
(@bdavis711)
Silver
October 13, 2014 12:35 am  

Finally! We got our first win of season after coming up short all season long.

HC gave me the defense for the week in practice, since the DC didn't make it to any of the practices. I went back to the basics as far as the install went and made sure everyone knew their role in the defense. First 2 days of practice you could see all the little light bulbs coming on in the kids heads. We went over Cloud and Sky coverages, ran cousin's drill and a lot of pass skeleton. I ran a pulling drill with our OL and decided that I would kill 2 birds with one stone and added the DEs and MLB to the drill. Gave MLB hand shield, since at the time it was offenses practice time, and had him "Read and Race" the puller to their spot. He was beating our pullers so bad that it kind of messed up the pulling drill but I was glad to see him understand the concept. Clark, I also took your advice, kind of. I had been matching the boys up based on size and speed but never once really took into account attitude and mentality. So, I didn't match the boys up exactly as you had described but went rather with their skill level and mentality. It was great to see them finally willing to compete and funny at the same time. We set up a scrimmage with the upper division team, completely against the rules but hell we needed to do something. We did more then just hold our own against them. We shut down their sweep plays and they have the fastest kids in the league. We lost if you want to call it that because they realized they were not going to get around us and everything up the middle was finally shut down; so, they began throwing jump balls to their tall WR's (5'7" and 5'9") who just took the ball away from our CBs who are shrimp boats (the 2 smallest and shortest (4'5" and 4'8") kids on our team). It was awesome to watch as their HC got more and more frustrated and even more rewarding to see our boys confidence just soar through the roof.

Game time came on Saturday. The DC comes and I explained to him what we had done during the week of practice, personnel wise and scheme wise and although he was skeptical and leery to his credit didn't try and change anything and just rolled with it. We thoroughly dismantled our opponent to the point that they got so frustrated at what we were doing both offensively and defensively that they started playing dirty. We were up big about half way through the 3 quarter and the ref over heard one of their coaches telling his stud player to "take out" our HB (my son). And 2 plays later my son is on the sideline after taking a helmet to his knee. That coach got ejected from the game and caused quite a scene. I didn't find out about all that til way after the game was over and we were back home or there would have been way worse ramifications for that coach then him just being ejected. They did manage to score on a long run once they had knock our OLB out of the game but it was meaningless, with only a few seconds left and the boys were so excited that they were going to win they forgot to play til the final whistle. They gave the HC a Gatorade (Water) Shower, as it was his first win as a HC. And one kid came up to me and said "I have never won a game in my life, no matter what sport. Thank you so much!" And gave me the biggest hug I may have ever received in my life from a non-family member. It was awesome and one of the reason I love coaching.  So to tie a pretty bow on this long post...when run correctly and taught correctly the Killer Bee can shut down even the fastest offenses. Thanks Clark!

"ALWAYS LEARNING AND TRYING TO IMPROVE. SUCH IS THE LIFE OF A COACH!"

ReplyQuote
Coreyv
(@coreyv)
Bronze
October 13, 2014 7:18 pm  

Another win, 38-0.  Now 5-0.  Our final game is vs. a team we beat 1st game 40-12.  They run shotgun spread and scored the 2 TD's on long pass plays.

I'm looking to start the game in Nickel which has worked well for us at the 8th grade level. I move my MLB to OLB and OLb to Nickel.  So I have my 3 best defenders up the middle.  Even though they're 6-10 yds deep we've been fast enough to play the run and teams haven't thrown short middle.  Will blitz safety to B gap, Rush one or both OLBs, along with twist and slant.  Have also experimented having CBs press #1 WRas a change up.

CV

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 13, 2014 11:37 pm  

Another win, 38-0.  Now 5-0.  Our final game is vs. a team we beat 1st game 40-12.  They run shotgun spread and scored the 2 TD's on long pass plays.

I'm looking to start the game in Nickel which has worked well for us at the 8th grade level. I move my MLB to OLB and OLb to Nickel.  So I have my 3 best defenders up the middle.  Even though they're 6-10 yds deep we've been fast enough to play the run and teams haven't thrown short middle.  Will blitz safety to B gap, Rush one or both OLBs, along with twist and slant.  Have also experimented having CBs press #1 WRas a change up.

At 8th grade level versus Spread, MLB will never get back in pass coverage (He doesn't much anyway regardless of age level but most plays are runs below 8th grade so that's how I did it.  It's how Landry did it too though it very seldom worked for him.  For lurkers, watch Bob Bruening (spelling?) for Dallas on 70's film.  GREAT PLAYER.). 

You have two choices on how to play M versus spread.  One is in "Nickle" which you have obviously figured out.  The other is to play him at 3 yards per the manual and just have him blitz either "B" gap when he sees pass (The "B" gaps should be wide open as guards block down and OT's block out.).  In a perfect world he blitzes the opposite gap of their blocking RB.  But - Hey! - that's 50-50 anyway.

From 3 yards back he should read pass and reach the QB in 3 seconds unless RB picks him up.

Not telling you to do this, just letting you and everybody else know you have another option.  It works well against "pocket passers".  Since my own QB was never a pocket passer but a roll out passer, I had M defend "ME" in the manual and roll to most receiver side, expecting QB to roll that way.  But, I NEVER play ME and everybody else uses pocket protection and so I should have put the blitz in.  πŸ˜€

Congrats on your season!

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 13, 2014 11:40 pm  

Finally! We got our first win of season after coming up short all season long.

HC gave me the defense for the week in practice, since the DC didn't make it to any of the practices. I went back to the basics as far as the install went and made sure everyone knew their role in the defense. First 2 days of practice you could see all the little light bulbs coming on in the kids heads. We went over Cloud and Sky coverages, ran cousin's drill and a lot of pass skeleton. I ran a pulling drill with our OL and decided that I would kill 2 birds with one stone and added the DEs and MLB to the drill. Gave MLB hand shield, since at the time it was offenses practice time, and had him "Read and Race" the puller to their spot. He was beating our pullers so bad that it kind of messed up the pulling drill but I was glad to see him understand the concept. Clark, I also took your advice, kind of. I had been matching the boys up based on size and speed but never once really took into account attitude and mentality. So, I didn't match the boys up exactly as you had described but went rather with their skill level and mentality. It was great to see them finally willing to compete and funny at the same time. We set up a scrimmage with the upper division team, completely against the rules but hell we needed to do something. We did more then just hold our own against them. We shut down their sweep plays and they have the fastest kids in the league. We lost if you want to call it that because they realized they were not going to get around us and everything up the middle was finally shut down; so, they began throwing jump balls to their tall WR's (5'7" and 5'9") who just took the ball away from our CBs who are shrimp boats (the 2 smallest and shortest (4'5" and 4'8") kids on our team). It was awesome to watch as their HC got more and more frustrated and even more rewarding to see our boys confidence just soar through the roof.

Game time came on Saturday. The DC comes and I explained to him what we had done during the week of practice, personnel wise and scheme wise and although he was skeptical and leery to his credit didn't try and change anything and just rolled with it. We thoroughly dismantled our opponent to the point that they got so frustrated at what we were doing both offensively and defensively that they started playing dirty. We were up big about half way through the 3 quarter and the ref over heard one of their coaches telling his stud player to "take out" our HB (my son). And 2 plays later my son is on the sideline after taking a helmet to his knee. That coach got ejected from the game and caused quite a scene. I didn't find out about all that til way after the game was over and we were back home or there would have been way worse ramifications for that coach then him just being ejected. They did manage to score on a long run once they had knock our OLB out of the game but it was meaningless, with only a few seconds left and the boys were so excited that they were going to win they forgot to play til the final whistle. They gave the HC a Gatorade (Water) Shower, as it was his first win as a HC. And one kid came up to me and said "I have never won a game in my life, no matter what sport. Thank you so much!" And gave me the biggest hug I may have ever received in my life from a non-family member. It was awesome and one of the reason I love coaching.  So to tie a pretty bow on this long post...when run correctly and taught correctly the Killer Bee can shut down even the fastest offenses. Thanks Clark!

I'm really glad to see you post this.  I was about to private message you to find out what's wrong.  You never knocked the defense and yet you were losing.  I didn't realize you weren't the DC.  That explains a lot.  I hope you get promoted! 

ReplyQuote
Coach Davis
(@bdavis711)
Silver
October 13, 2014 11:54 pm  

I'm really glad to see you post this...You never knocked the defense and yet you were losing.  I didn't realize you weren't the DC.  That explains a lot.  I hope you get promoted!

I wouldn't knock the defense especially when I saw how it was being installed and implemented. I had faith in the defense and seeing how so many were winning with it, I couldn't say anything disparaging. I was actually the OC and OL Coach (after our OL Coach couldn't coach any longer). On a side note, 33 Quick absolutely killed our opponent this weekend.

"ALWAYS LEARNING AND TRYING TO IMPROVE. SUCH IS THE LIFE OF A COACH!"

ReplyQuote
Coreyv
(@coreyv)
Bronze
October 14, 2014 6:13 am  

Thanks, I will start in nickel, then have one of the 3 safeties blitz.

CV

ReplyQuote
mmarra82
(@mmarra82)
Copper
October 14, 2014 6:25 am  

Do you have film you can post of those big plays?

Coach, I do have film, would love to share with you at a later date and break down the mistakes to be corrected for next season.  As I stated, I do not blame the scheme or the kids, but rather myself for not grasping some of the concepts well enough to relay it and teach the kids.

Mike

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 14, 2014 10:50 am  

Coach, I do have film, would love to share with you at a later date and break down the mistakes to be corrected for next season.  As I stated, I do not blame the scheme or the kids, but rather myself for not grasping some of the concepts well enough to relay it and teach the kids.

Mike

πŸ™‚

I'll try and use that film to teach others how to avoid mistakes.

ReplyQuote
mmarra82
(@mmarra82)
Copper
October 14, 2014 11:19 am  

Thanks...I think.  When I post on Youtube, I'll provide the link.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Texan
(@ccleebelt)
Gold
October 16, 2014 9:42 pm  

Win 42-0.

Averaging 4.5 PA/G since switching back to KB....with lots of MPPs on the field.

ReplyQuote
canepb
(@canepb)
Copper
October 17, 2014 6:59 am  

We had our closest game of the year, we won 14-0.  We are 6-0 on the season and have only given up 18 points.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 17, 2014 8:02 am  

We had our closest game of the year, we won 14-0.  We are 6-0 on the season and have only given up 18 points.

πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
canepb
(@canepb)
Copper
October 20, 2014 4:11 am  

We won this past weekend 22-0 and gave up one first down.  We are now 7-0 and have out scored teams 207-18.

It's been a great season! 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: