Notifications
Clear all

Updates on Killer Bee.. 8U team DFW Txxas

Page 1 / 2

dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I'm a little behind posting updates due to traveling for work. We are into week 2 of the season already.
My goal is to provide Weekly updates on Sunday's for my First year running the Killer Bee with our team. The team has 3 practices a week with 1.5 hours of practice time. I'm not the Head Coach but the DC.

I choose the KB as a change up to the league same ol same ol defenses. we won it all 2017 with 4-4 defense but i was OC, we lost in the city championship with 4-4 Defense in 2018 (i was OC). So for 2019 the Bee is in, I moved  to the DC.

Haven't posted in a while but good to be back.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Great having you back.

Looking forward to updates

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

LCB – 8 Yr old. First time playing. Good hitter.
LOLB - 8 Yr old. Returner. Top 4 Athlete Small. QB on offense. Good tackler
LDE- 8 Yr old  Bull. Returner- 2nd heaviest kid on team- Sumo Winner
LDG- 7yr old.1st year
RDG- 7yr old. 1st year
RDE- 8 Yr old.  Bull. Returner. 1st heavest kid and slower than #1. 2nd Best Sumo player
ROLB- 7yr old. New to football.
RCB- 7 Yr old. Newbie- Tenative
SS- 8 Yr old. Top 2 athlete on team. Good speed and instincts. lazy
FS- 7 yr old. Small & fast. Not a big hitter but will be once he gets his confidence up
MLB 8 Yr old. Returner Best tackler on Team. Slower than SS, FS, and LCB. Smart

Week 1.

Focused on installing the basics of the Bee with only 45 minutes of practice time the Friday night before jamboree.
Worked on Player Placement, Alignment
I started installing defense outside in as the league is sweep heavy.
Corners alignment, stance & 3 step drop, stress beating runner to the side line.
OLB – Alignment, stance, angle to attack backfield, Use Inside shoulder outside arm free

Mike- Alignment, Kill the bee
Safeties- Alignment, Kill bee, Run to ball and

4 scrimmages 15 minutes clock
3-1 one the day. We gave up 2 touchdowns on the day. Both to the team we lost to.

Scrimmage 1- against I formation team.
Score won 24-0 we blew out a weak team with limited players
They ran a pretty vanilla I formation.
They Eventually gave up running inside.
For this game the DE & MLB made 80% of the team tackles..

Scrimmage 2-
Against Double Wing Team- No pulling Linemean
12-0
Not a traditional Double wing team. They ran their power play with no luck. Eventually the gave up running inside to running outside.
With no rocket or jet sweep in their arsenal they were pretty much dead ducks.

Scrimmage 3-
Against spread team – No passing
Score 0-12
The coach was creative in his formations. Meaning he ran the ones in I hadn’t covered in practice. lol
When he went to trips, single back under center we didn’t adjust. That’s on me. they scored twice off the trips play.

Scrimmage 4-
Against T formation Team
Score 12-0

End of the day
The defensive focus of the jamboree was to see who would be aggressive, tackle, and run to the ball.
The position focus was corners, OLb’s and DE’s.
Corners
- would forget their 3 step drop.
- On sweeps to their side they didn’t head to cut the runner off at sideline. Bad angle. Or just stood their frozen.
- Didn’t stay at home on sweeps away. By the end of the game I yelled enough “stay at home”
OLB’s
- ROLB didn’t take correct path to backfield. ROLB very tentative and using wrong shoulder. LOLB, a returner shut down his side of the field. Still had problems with wrong shoulder but his experience was the difference. When he did it right the runner would be 7 yards deep for losses.
-

DE's
- Had to continually work on alignment with these two. They need more work on the concept of reading the tackle. 1/2 time they focused on driving the OT into next week. ¼ of the time the they stood straight up. ¼ of the time they hit the tackle.

The upcoming week goal is
To keep working on Tackling and aggression ( Tee Time) and angle tackling.
“Whose ball” for aggression to get newbies up to speed.
Coach defense  as a group using inside group drill  and outside group drills. Indies are tough since I’m the only one that knows the defense and positions jobs.

coaching Note: Trying to coach assistants as well. Teaching them the defense but I have to watch them constantly. This week I will give an assistant the DT’s and I will coach the rest of them.  Eventually I will have a DE coach, DT coach, and I will coach the rest. Some of the coaches are dad coaches so they only watch their son.

Thoughts on defense.
-Teams in my league don't know what to do with the flexed DE's. As bad as their technique was, they shut down B and c gaps. Sometimes they went unblocked as the TE fanned out and the OT tried doubled down and help guard shooting A gap.
-When a defensive player made a mistake their was always a commitee of defensive players coming.
-Mike goes untouched for a majority of the game. he gets antsy and wants to attack on the other side of the ball. NOPE. Play side to side.
-Corners run support is a must in my league. they have to learn to tackle. several times they were one on one with the back ( my OLB was tripled teamed at times.). watch the corners at all times.
-ONLY Teach to stop the plays in your league...
-The kill shot( i call it blow up shot) is the real deal. Most times the runner doesn't see it coming. I will continually cover the land marks of the alley.
-Finally- No defense works if you cannot tackle. in some cases we were in the right position but just missed the tackle.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My apologies on the format... typing on a cheap AZZZZZ chrome book with what seems like 1ounce of memory

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

My apologies on the format... typing on a cheap AZZZZZ chrome book with what seems like 1ounce of memory

You got the "10 second Tom" edition?  😀

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

;D
it was an unbeatable deal.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

on 9/07/19 we played a preseason game.
The final score was a 6-6 tie.

my purpose here is to talk about defense so I will mention the 12 offensive miscues(bad snaps, fumbles and missed hand offs) to set the context of what situations the defense was put in.

1st qtr 0 -0
2nd  0-0
3rd 6-0 we are up
4th 6-6 they score early in the 4th qtr.

HIGHS OF GAME
found a new kid to play ROLB. the starter wasnt getting it done during the game. not aggressive or talented enough. looking down the bench i figured id give the new kid a shot. He's tall, thick and long arms. ive never seen him practice. i gave him quick alingment and instructions. 3 steps out and take this angle and hit the blocking back and look for ball. 1st play they ran away from him. he stopped and looked. 2nd play the sweep came his way with no lead blocker.  he forced the back to run deeper and then tackled him from the back for a 7 yard loss. he dominated the rest of  the game except  for one play.
Mike LB is a wrecking crew.

GLARING WEAKNESSES:

DTs standing straight up. We running eagle and bear slants

DE's stopped hitting tackle after having success on off tackle plays. went straight for ball.

CB's Right corner didnt get to sideline on sweep. forgot 3 step drop. will have a 3 man rotation in the future. if they dont do their job they come out for a few plays and watch. poor tacklers.

safeties. bad pursuit angle. FS would move toward no matter where the play was going. Alley runs are inconsistent by both.

POSITIVES:
when D lineman play right  Mike LB doesn't get get touched. mike was our leading tackler.
The kill shot is a beautiful thing to see.  the runner isnt expecting it.

COACHING NOTES:
coaching DEs is time consuming for me. (me only) because they need repetition to remember to avoid drilling the hell out of tackle,  taking c gap bait. but its the most rewarding when they slide off to make tackles while keeping mike free. dont cross that LOS.

corners have to be constantly watched. with me they are 8th and 9th players in skill. small but fast.. and scary ass hell.
im going have them only tackling small kids i practices.  DC mentioned this in post and i am in agreement.

I know my league and teams. i understand what they are trying to do offensively. thats what im coaching to stop. Off tackle then Sweeps. with me its the match ups. while the defense may be in right position i know there isnt enough talent to go at every position. i make switches WHEN  they switch their stud backs to a new position on the field. I TRY TO KEEP STUDS ON STUDS.

WRAP UP:
now to wrap it up. we had one bad defensive  play to give up a 30 yard run for thr game tying TD.  The new kid at OLB got tired and didn't move on the touch down run. he didnt move at all. he told me a play earlier that he was tired and i was like hold on for one play. this coming week I'LL make sure we have a rotation going.

Tip:
Expect all kind of unorthodox things (from little league coaches)lwhen the offense cant get outside or inside. Think steps ahead. it was a crazy formation on the play they scored on.

1st regular season game tommorrow against a spread team.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

update 9/14/2019.
Play an oustide team today. The Ran spread with limited passing
We got hulled out 34-7.
We beat this team in a jamboree a few weeks ago. Today we saw a whole different team with bigger and faster players.

Defensively we are in the right position but we are pi$$ poor tacklers. Trips tight BUNCH right sweep right was their biggest play. simple play.
....................................................................F
...............................................B1.................Q...........B2
.............................................A.....C........O.O.X.O.O

It became comical on the missed tackles on the edge plays. Our Open field tackling was horrendous.

B1 was there best  player and best blocker. He Drove our OLB to the end zone. We tried every thing and everyone to slow it down they sealed the edge pretty damn good.
Safeties no where to be found today. corners still taking bad angles.  OLB's stopped doing there job

Next week we spend more time on alignment, tackling and getting off blocks.

Offensively. 8 fumbles today.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

34-0 win yesterday.
defensively we started out getting slashed on sweep right. after working on it all week. the starting olb was late for the game so it was a back up in there. out of experimentation I put one big athletic but slow kids at OLB.  first play he crushed the the play in the back field. For the rest if the day they couldn't get around either end. Im going to leave him at that spot. ill have to get creative because he is an X head(over weight limit) and he can only be so far away from offensive tackle.

im still having problems with my safeties and the kill shot. they seem like they are daydreaming and dont want to come up.We did outside drill all week.

corners are a challenge. I had to move them further out when they ran double tight with a wing just to give us a chance of cutting  the sweep off at the sideline.  they just arent agressive at all. i stood behind them and just watched and even told them where the play was going. im sure i need to do a better job of drilling and coaching
The team we played didn't have very much speed so plays were a little slow developing.

overall, multiple players are getting to the ball. bad angles and all.

next Saturday we have a T formation team with better backs and they love sweeps/counters.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

we are up to 21 kids on the roster. I will be able to utilize some of the speedier kids to improve our perimeter defense. im going with smaller but faster DG's. Big boys aren't getting off on snap

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

sept 28.
18 to 6 win.. Highlight of the game was the OLB Intercepted the ball on a toss play. It was a high, slow toss. Good win for us. Running the alley and pursuit is getting better. We have been working on it with our "outside drill" in practice. It's a slow process as we run it, freeze it and correct it.

Oct 5th.
We played 2 games for some crazy reason.
The first game was against a team we played earlier in the year and we lost 34-6. Couldn't stop the sweep then.
This game was a better defensive show even though we lost 18-12.. I REALIZED THAT IN THE 4 WEEKS AGO GAME I DIDN'T ALIGN THE DEFENSE ON THE TRIPS CORRECTLY.
Their running back was amazing but after the 1st score, where he went untouched on a sweep, we were able string the runs out. We were leading 12-6 till mid 4th qtr. The two late runs he scored was barry sanders like. we strung it out the sideline and had him pinned in. Some how he ended up cutting back across field running 10 yrds deep to the other side line. The Corner and OLB were there but he broke their tackles for the score.
Good Game thou.

2nd game we won 24-0.  This team ran a 2x2 zone read. Inexperienced team with a slow deep snapper. The OLB's had field day with tackling for losses. It was also great to see the big 3 pursuing the ball for gang tackles near the sideline.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

October 12
6-0 win against our arch nemesis that runs T formation. Defensively we were pretty stout bending but didnt break.
Toss left into their sideline was their biggest play. My big 3 is getting to the ball but it is hit and miss on the kill shot.
However as they were driving on last series of the game they ran the toss from a hurry up offense. I moved mike to strong safety and he made a blinding kill shot that knocked the runner off his feet. Ball game!
T time and the alley kill shot drill have become the mainstays of defense night.  Looking for improvement as we have 3 weeks left.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

October 19.. played 2 games today
1st game 20 to 6 loss.
Very good travel team that ran a 2x2 spread.
We took away their slot passing game but our tackling  on the jet sweeps was comical.  Mixed tackles was our Achilles hill today.

2nd game was against a short handed team.
32 to 0 win.
They ran a combination of I formation and double wing. Out defensive line dominated this game. Slant in, slant out, slant left and right freed up mike to make stops between the tackles the entire game. Not much speed on the other team so they tried to run at us between tackles all game.

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Oct 26
Saturdays game. We won 34 to 6.
The 6 was a touchdown on a kick return. We subbed in the younger kids to get experience.
We had several kids missing thus week so we had a few misalignment problems.
Last regular season game- mike, both safeties and left olb hitting their  stride. My right OlB is regressing. Losing his aggression and just watching. Even on kick off is just jogging.  There was a fux up with his uniform and i think he is pouting. 

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We play for the for the 8u championship next weekend .

We play a wishbone team that lines up in a bunch formation when they want to throw.
Note: i was given this formation scouting report by my head coach. The team likes to throw to the inside receiver in the bunch. I need to double check the film because the inside guy is ineligible.
......0..0..0..×..0..0..0.....0...0
,..................Q....................0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: