Notifications
Clear all

Watched Dallas play to today on Classic Football

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I noticed Dallas had their "2" tech DT's lined up tilted to hit the "A" gap.  It was not much of a tilt.  I had to look at it three times to be certain he was tilted. Yep!  He was.

The Dallas DT's were all going for ankles, same as the KB - including even on pass.  They were ready to dive off their pass blocker to sack the QB by his ankles.  The DT's helmet was about a foot off the ground when he got the QB by stretching out and reaching.  They actually only penetrated about two yards on pass (Think 3 step passing game.).

The DE's were just the opposite.  They came in high - High enough to bat down passes. The most common sack by a DE who wasn't looping and being fan blocked by the OT was an inside spin move.  What made this work was the positioning of the backs.  They moved out thinking the DE was to go around the OT.  When he went inside, they couldn't get back in time to help the QB.  Of course, you'd have to do some outside rushes first to set up the pass blocking back out wide.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold

I noticed Dallas had their "2" tech DT's lined up tilted to hit the "A" gap.  It was hot much of a tilt.  I had to look at it three times to be certain he was tilted. Yep!  He was.

The Dallas DT's were all going for ankles, same as the KB - including even on pass.  They were ready to dive off their pass blocker to sack the QB by his ankles.  The DT's helmet was about a foot off the ground when he got the QB by stretching out and reaching.  They actually only penetrated about two yards on pass (Think 3 step passing game.).

The DE's were just the opposite.  They came in high - High enough to bat down passes. The most common sack by a DE who wasn't looping and being fan blocked by the OT was an inside spin move.  What made this work was the positioning of the backs.  They moved out thinking the DE was to go around the OT.  When he went inside, they couldn't get back in time to help the QB.  Of course, you'd hae to do some outside rushes first to set up the pass blocking back wide.

good stuff....j

"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

ReplyQuote
Share: