Notifications
Clear all

Who is definitely running the Bee this year?  

Page 4 / 4

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

3.  If the offense was running spread and sent a back in motion toward the OLB (who was in rush mode) , I guess the back in motion becomes the back that the OLB goes after either to hit and ricochet, cover in a 5 yard zone for potential screen, or obviously tackle if he got the ball.  correct?

You have it right.  If a back motions out of the backfield from SPREAD then they have FIVE receivers out versus our FOUR defenders (two corners two safeties).  So OLB has to take him.

If they weren't in SPREAD and had two backs in the backfield and one back went in motion then a safety would go with him because they would have FOUR receivers out versus our defenders.

The OLB's rule is:  "If the backfield becomes empty and the extra back is on your side, the OLB needs to be in COVERAGE." 
You have to sort out who has who if the back lined up outside instead of used motion (I would put OLB on #3). 

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver

First year in... excited!

Thanks for the spring ball synopsis Mahonz.
Thanks for the phone call bruceja.

Besides the fact that I must ride the learning curve on this, my only fear is defending the "just block somebody" scheme. 😛

12U

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.

ReplyQuote
cougarfootball
(@cougarfootball)
Copper

My only fear is when we get on grass and the whistle blows!  I'm really pumped about this.  Thanks Dumcoach, your explanations make sense, and make me believe that for the most part I understand what the DE and OLB are doing and why. 

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze

We will be running the Killer Bee at the high school varsity level for the first time. I am excited to see how our installation progresses as we will have a very short preseason leading up to our first game.

We are all in this together.Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Did my first day of install yesterday. I could see it coming together. Now it is my job to get the kids to see it too.

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold

Did my first day of install yesterday. I could see it coming together. Now it is my job to get the kids to see it too.

Would you mind walking us through your install? My first practice is this Monday and I'd love to get some more perspective on the install.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze

I would also like to see what drills you did on the first day as well as how you divided the responsibilities among your coaches. Thanks.

We are all in this together.Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Would you mind walking us through your install? My first practice is this Monday and I'd love to get some more perspective on the install.

It was a little rushed but I did white board first. Explained them how the basics of the defense worked and showed them where everyone lined up. Then had cones set up and did the Claim your spot drill I stole from MattC. After the positions were good to go, we ran some plays against the defense to see how they would react. After the plays I would make adjustments as we went and had some of the coaches help as well. I wish it could have went a little smoother but all things considered, we did ok. Still a long way to go though.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

We're definitely running it this season. Ran it for the first time last season with 11>12 yr. olds. This season we're definitely running it with our 11>12's and our 7>8's. We may even install it for our 9>10's.

It will be interesting to see what differences- if any- pop up in how the defense operates through the different age levels.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: