Notifications

1st year Double wing Coach  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Dannypat21
(@dannypat21)
Copper
December 17, 2019 5:54 pm  

First time posting here, been lurking the past year. This past season was my first year as offensive coordinator of my sons 9u team. I was tired of being disappointed with the coaching in youth football, and told myself that I couldn't complain unless I jumped in and did something about it. I volunteered as an assistant coach, and expressed to the head coach that I would like to help out with the offense. I was deciding what offense to run and was really intrigued with the double wing. I ended up spending months researching everything double wing, knowing that I would have to put in the work to be able to properly teach it. I ordered "The Toss" and went over Jack Gregory's playbook obsessively. But where I really gained the most knowledge was right here on this forum, where every question I had was previously answered in a different post. I also watched Doublewingcoaches youtube videos religiously, and now know every lyric to a couple different rap songs from it.
We took a team of 23 kids with only 5 returning players, and went 6-2, losing in the playoffs in double overtime 40-34. It was the best season I have ever been a part of in youth football. Most the kids on the team had never played before, and almost all are returning and cant wait for next season.
I just want to thank all the people on here contributing, because it made this past season a year to remember.
With that being said, it was tough to start off. The only coach who really believed in what I was doing was the head coach. The other assistants were constantly griping about the lack of passing, the tight splits, the "boring" play calling. Eventually they quieted down when we were blowing teams out in the first half. I look forward to gaining a lot more knowledge on this site and having an even better season next year.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 17, 2019 7:42 pm  

I volunteered as an assistant coach, and expressed to the head coach that I would like to help out with the offense. I was deciding what offense to run and was really intrigued with the double wing.

--So the header allowed you to pick the offense?

I ordered "The Toss"

--Great choice.

and went over Jack Gregory's playbook obsessively.

--Great idea.

I also watched Doublewingcoaches youtube videos religiously, and now know every lyric to a couple different rap songs from it.

--You know you can also mute the audio, right?

With that being said, it was tough to start off.

--It usually is.  You'll gain credibility as you go.

The only coach who really believed in what I was doing was the head coach.

--He's really the only one that matters.

The other assistants were constantly griping about the lack of passing, the tight splits, the "boring" play calling.

--They don't know any better, bless their hearts.

Eventually they quieted down when we were blowing teams out in the first half. I look forward to gaining a lot more knowledge on this site and having an even better season next year.

--Congratulations on your season.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 18, 2019 1:07 am  

I will echo Dave’s sentiments as well.

As a second year head coach, the Doublewing is one of the hardest offenses to stop when run well and KEPT SIMPLE. The simple is something I still struggle with and probably cost us a game or two this season

Did you by chance use the Double Wing Reference Guide sticky in this forum when researching. Just wondering if any new coaches have found it useful.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
Dannypat21
(@dannypat21)
Copper
December 18, 2019 4:54 am  

I'm not sure how to reply to each individual post so I'll reply to both here. Yes, the head coach allowed me to pick the offense. I came to him once I had done my research and learned the offense, so I was able to show him why I thought it would be the best option. We were working with mostly new kids, and we were going against a few teams that were going to be faster and more athletic. I knew a well executed double wing would be a great equalizer for that.
And yes I did use the double wing reference guide. In fact I used this whole site daily. I am brand new to this so still have a lot to learn, but this site has been invaluable to me.
My head coach asked me what I planned on switching up next season and I told him I am going to keep it more simple in certain aspects. I tried to do too much at times to please the other assistant coaches, and I realize that keeping it simple and executing is the most important. The one thing we did NOT do is wedge block. Our offensive line coach was against it, and I feel our inside run game wasnt what it could have been, so I am looking to teach wedge blocking as soon as we start meeting up in February.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 5:42 am  

the Doublewing is one of the hardest offenses to stop when run well and KEPT SIMPLE. The simple is something I still struggle with and probably cost us a game or two this season

Brian, how'd you gunk it up?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 5:57 am  

Yes, the head coach allowed me to pick the offense.

--Wow. Almost unheard of.

I knew a well executed double wing would be a great equalizer for that.

--And you were spot-on.

And yes I did use the double wing reference guide.

--Well that's good news.  Maybe I should go back and look at it...

In fact I used this whole site daily.

--Well that's even better news.  Did you suggest that to anyone on your staff?

I am brand new to this so still have a lot to learn

--We all do.

but this site has been invaluable to me.

--That's what it's for. 🙂

My head coach asked me what I planned on switching up next season and I told him I am going to keep it more simple in certain aspects.

--Such as?

I tried to do too much at times to please the other assistant coaches

--Oh good grief...I hope you've learned better than to do things like that.

The one thing we did NOT do is wedge block. Our offensive line coach was against it

--Wait, wait, waitaminute here....your offensive line coach was AGAINST running Wedge, when you are already a Double Wing offense?  Um, did he say why?  And if you weren't running Wedge, then what in the world did your Fullback do?

--Here is my suggestion for you next year:  Whether you are the header or the OC, you had better be the O-Line Coach for your offense.  You should be able to spend the full 90/115/120 minutes of your practice with those guys and filling that time with Double Wing blocking.  Find a guy you can trust (the header, maybe?) for the Backs.  Otherwise, your Wings will bounce outside, your QB won't lead well on Toss, your XX will be a disaster.

and I feel our inside run game wasnt what it could have been, so I am looking to teach wedge blocking as soon as we start meeting up in February.

--Wedge is the best play in the offense, with the greatest payoff of any play.  Where are you located?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dannypat21
(@dannypat21)
Copper
December 18, 2019 6:41 am  

I am located in southern California. My O-line coach played college football, never ran a wedge when he played  so would not implement it. I have talked to head coach and he agreed to allow me to teach it this coming season. We basically blocked body on body on FB runs. We also pulled only backside guard on powers as we were getting blitzed heavy non stop, but I'm looking to Gate pull this season as we have 2 fast and athletic TE's.
As far as me doing too much, I feel I added too many unnecessary plays to the playbook instead of getting more reps and proper execution of our base plays. We ran a jet series that actually worked very well and a nice wheel route pass to our FB to the motion side of jet with split TE running a deep post. Besides that pass play I will scratch the rest I added to please other coaches. My goal now is to learn everything I need to know about wedge blocking so I can properly teach it come February.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
December 18, 2019 6:55 am  

Wedge is a game changer. Our lineman love running it and our opponents fear it.

DW without Wedge is just not the same. Im willing to bet you take that playoff game if you had Wedge running smooth.

Tell your line coach the line will love it. Once he sees your line trappling defenses he will be all in.

If you cant tell I Love Wedge. Maybe even more than Power.

ReplyQuote
Dannypat21
(@dannypat21)
Copper
December 18, 2019 7:41 am  

Wedge is a game changer. Our lineman love running it and our opponents fear it.

DW without Wedge is just not the same. Im willing to bet you take that playoff game if you had Wedge running smooth.

Tell your line coach the line will love it. Once he sees your line trappling defenses he will be all in.

Yes wedge is priority #1 for us this next season. I am looking for any recommendations on literature regarding teaching the wedge. I know we lost out on a lot of yardage not running wedge. When I say I'm going to keep it simple this next season, I guess I mean I am going to be true to the double wing, as there are things we did that veered away from that.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 8:01 am  

I am located in southern California.

--We have a place in Palm Springs.

My O-line coach played college football, never ran a wedge when he played  so would not implement it. I have talked to head coach and he agreed to allow me to teach it this coming season.

--Teaching it is one thing.  But Wedge blocking needs to be practiced every day/every other day to remain sharp and if this o-line dude won't do it, you might as well get rid of him.  Installing Wedge is not a one and done approach.

We basically blocked body on body on FB runs. We also pulled only backside guard on powers as we were getting blitzed heavy non stop,

--Blitz shouldn't influence your willingness to pull.  If you have blitz-leakage, that's not a pull-problem.  That's a blocking problem.  If it were a pull-problem, then all a defense had to do when facing a Double Wing offense would be to blitz.

but I'm looking to Gate pull this season as we have 2 fast and athletic TE's.

--GaTE works very well.

As far as me doing too much, I feel I added too many unnecessary plays to the playbook instead of getting more reps and proper execution of our base plays.

--How long are your quarters?  If they are 10 minutes or less, then you really need very few plays in a run-dominant offense.  You simply don't have the time in a game that short to use them all.  Time is better spent on all of the various adjustments to your core plays, instead of adding more plays with no adjustments.

My goal now is to learn everything I need to know about wedge blocking so I can properly teach it come February.

--You start in February?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
December 18, 2019 8:02 am  

Get on Youtube and look up Double Wing Wedge.

Find clips from Calande 2006 clinic

I find that the way he teaches wedge is the best I have seen in 45+ years of coaching!

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 8:05 am  

--Bah, just get rid of him.  I have no time for someone who's not already on board.  And I have even less time for someone who doesn't recognize a useful and productive weapon when it's right there for the taking.

--I definitely love Wedge more than Power.  It's my favorite play of this (or any) offense.  And our team in Florida refused to run it; even against a team with an even front.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 18, 2019 8:07 am  

I am looking for any recommendations on literature regarding teaching the wedge.

There's a few guys on here who are familiar with it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dannypat21
(@dannypat21)
Copper
December 18, 2019 9:30 am  

10 minute quarters and we start conditioning in late February.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
December 18, 2019 3:19 pm  

Good point Dave. I am just saying if he sees the Wedge in action and still can't recognize it usefulness then you should fire him.

It would have been fun to watch the Wedge running down the field in the rain on Friday lol. I think Wedge would have worked beautifully against LM.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: