Notifications

2 Day Install  

RSS

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
August 10, 2019 8:11 am  

So looking for advice and recommendations for installing offense and defense in two days. Were running DTDW with GOOD/GOD blocking rules and 44 defense.

BACKSTORY: Like most Pop Warner programs we started practice on Aug 1st which has given us four practices to date. The problem has been those practices were as one team since we did not have split rosters. To make matters worse I am the header for our 2 team so I was not a HC nor a rostered coach until we split players. Okay so fast forward to this past Thursday, we finally got out split and I had my first day with our kids. We covered my expectations, went over our warmups/dynamics, discussed team expectations, covered the Offensive Alignments, Lineman/Back Numbering, GOOD/GOD/GDB/FBI and the GOOD/GOD system. That was followed by tackling blocking drills and then we finished out with Deer Hunter/Towel Drill.

So far I feel that I have utilized our practice time efficiently (still room for improvement) as we even cover alignments, rules, etc during water breaks but worry that we will not be ready for this scrimmage next Thursday. And why were not scrimmaging on a weekend is beyond me. So with all that said, I’m really struggling between getting these kids used to contact (Tuesday is our first CONTACT/FULL PAD due to Pop Warner rules) and being able to get our O and D installed. As of right now I’m really considering asking the scrimmage to be rescheduled due to our teams not being split for three days. For me this is a big deal as I have specific expectations and philosophy that unfortunately most coaches in this org don’t understand. I would be running contact drills, whose ball, tackling without pads if Pop Warner didn’t keep sticking there nose in. But like some of those coaches out there, were not animals, everything is controlled and used to teach and toughen up the kids before they ever get pads on.

So with all of that said, my initial thought is to ask for the scrimmage to be delayed. However, if this is not possible which is likely my plan is as follows.

TUESDAY:
Run warmups, EDDs, Tackling/Blocking circuit
Split players into Backs and Lineman and start Indy’s/install
For plays my hope is to get power installed Tuesday, and maybe counter or wedge.
Finish with shark cage/enduro

WEDNESDAY:
Split players into defensive positions and discuss attack philosophy
Start base 44 install, Indy’s,
Finish with shark cage/enduro, and whose ball

This is all with 9/10s for what it’s worth.

As always, I look forward to everyone’s feedback and advice. This forum has always been a wealth of knowledge and is responsible for 90% of my youth coaching knowledge.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper
August 10, 2019 11:16 am  

Just my opinion coach...I'd practice a little offense and defense on both days because kids will remember more if you rep them both for 2 days. I agree that Power, Counter and wedge are a good start if you have to scrimmage this early.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 10, 2019 2:50 pm  

So looking for advice and recommendations for installing offense and defense in two days. Were running DTDW with GOOD/GOD blocking rules and 44 defense.

--2 days?  Dunno, I've never installed the Double Wing in two days.  A week?  Yes.  And even then, we'd taught the numbering, tags, rules and verbiage the week before.

Okay so fast forward to this past Thursday, we finally got out split and I had my first day with our kids. We covered my expectations, went over our warmups/dynamics, discussed team expectations, covered the Offensive Alignments, Lineman/Back Numbering, GOOD/GOD/GDB/FBI and the GOOD/GOD system.

--I can cover that in one day, but we'll still need to rep it for a week for me to feel comfortable with it. But that's always because I had a week.

So far I feel that I have utilized our practice time efficiently (still room for improvement) as we even cover alignments, rules, etc during water breaks but worry that we will not be ready for this scrimmage next Thursday. And why were not scrimmaging on a weekend is beyond me.

--Yes, your own org has already screwed you over.

As of right now I’m really considering asking the scrimmage to be rescheduled due to our teams not being split for three days.

--I wouldn't even bother with a scrimmage.

For me this is a big deal as I have specific expectations and philosophy that unfortunately most coaches in this org don’t understand.

--You too?  ???

So with all of that said, my initial thought is to ask for the scrimmage to be delayed. However, if this is not possible which is likely my plan is as follows.

TUESDAY:
Split players into Backs and Lineman and start Indy’s/install
For plays my hope is to get power installed Tuesday, and maybe counter or wedge.
Finish with shark cage/enduro

WEDNESDAY:
Split players into defensive positions and discuss attack philosophy
Start base 44 install, Indy’s,
Finish with shark cage/enduro, and whose ball

--You don't say how long you're practices are.  Ours are 2.5 hours.  Oh, and one more thing...now that our season is here and we scrimmaged and filmed it, I can say with complete affirmation that yes, Hudl still sucks as much as it ever did.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: