Notifications
Clear all

Double wing with 5 and 6 year olds

Page 2 / 10

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

ok so lets be  honest here...this is 5 and 6 yr olds...cat herding!
the idea of pulling is to get more kids at the point of attack than the defense has. Why bother with that. As a matter of fact you might want to look into the BEAST! formation. Its going to give you the ability to run ball with your best running back, and you put your best 5 blockers in front of him...power, wedge, counter and a QB naked weakside boot...simple easy

and yes wedge wedge wedge
the beasts power run also looks like a wedge

ReplyQuote
DoubleTight
(@seabring)
Copper

I believe Jacks DW for 8yo uses wedge blocking for every play. Sometimes its a 7 man wedge, others its 5 man. At this age group K.I.S.S. should be constantly in the front of your mind. You're line will get lots of opportunity to perfect wedge blocking since that is all they do in that series. Its the backfield that needs to work on the fundamental DW concepts. Save the pulling, down blocking, etc for 9yo+ DW.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I believe Jacks DW for 8yo uses wedge blocking for every play. Sometimes its a 7 man wedge, others its 5 man. At this age group K.I.S.S. should be constantly in the front of your mind. You're line will get lots of opportunity to perfect wedge blocking since that is all they do in that series. Its the backfield that needs to work on the fundamental DW concepts. Save the pulling, down blocking, etc for 9yo+ DW.

Jack does have a DW series called Buck Wedge Series that is 100% Wedge blocking, and the backs all run the same route for each play no matter which one gets the ball (for the most part)... so an easy teach.  A fun thing about Wedge is that you can move lots of kids in and out of FB and let each of the little guys experience carrying the ball.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

Yah I dunno Jacks been havin problems with his DW apparently...the word is he has left it for the spread

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

He makes it look easy Dave ciser makes it look more difficult. I had my 3 sons try it and it wasn't hard to teach. Hopefully my age group can catch on fast. I like to rep things until they get it perfect and then rep it some more.. The parents always hate it but their not the ones that have to learn it.

Yeah, I couldn't let this go. Screw the parents and what they think. If they believe they know better tell them to get a coaching app, buy a whistle and put in their 20 plus hours a week(much more for many of us but I believe 20 is about the minimum for a header). Then and only then should they have ANY say in anything that goes on. If they don't like it they can take their kid elsewhere. Sorry for the rant.  😉

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Yah I dunno Jacks been havin problems with his DW apparently...the word is he has left it for the spread

That is not the reason.  I have wanted to run a spread with things I have learned over the years.  I ran it in 2004 and I have learned a lot since then.  The team I have currently is built perfectly in my opinion for spread. 

The buck wedge,  Fenton wedge, and belly wedge work really well for that age group.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

That is not the reason.  I have wanted to run a spread with things I have learned over the years.  I ran it in 2004 and I have learned a lot since then.  The team I have currently is built perfectly in my opinion for spread. 

The buck wedge,  Fenton wedge, and belly wedge work really well for that age group.

Jack

I am one who is excited to see where this transition leads to with you Jack.

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Jack

Does the Gregory DVDs show how to do the wedge step by step with player demonstration? I bought another video that just showed white board demo.. I wasn't impressed at all.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

fenton wedge... ???

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fenton+wedge&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yuFpVaeiO8GZNuSggdgJ&ved=0CCUQsAQ

Jack I had no idea, what you do in private is your business, hay I ain't judging! I mean I dont know if Bruce Jenner likes same shoes or not
but they seemed alright

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

fenton wedge... ???

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fenton+wedge&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yuFpVaeiO8GZNuSggdgJ&ved=0CCUQsAQ

Jack I had no idea, what you do in private is your business, hay I ain't judging! I mean I dont know if Bruce Jenner likes same shoes or not
but they seemed alright

That's whst I got when I looked up fenton wedge..

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

"one of us, one of us, one of us"

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Great, now the DW people will have to claim that Jack never ran a true DW.

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Does the Gregory DVDs show how to do the wedge step by step with player demonstration? I bought another video that just showed white board demo.. I wasn't impressed at all.

Well thankfully I don't do things to impress anyone.

What video did you purchase that didn't have video in it?  The really old stuff doesn't but any of the new stuff does....If I know what you bought I can help you out with which ones do.

Jack

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

That's whst I got when I looked up fenton wedge..

If you are into women's shoes I could see how you might get fixated on the pumps.... 😉

Here is the most updated stuff I have on the wedge series I like to run with that age group.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

If you are into women's shoes I could see how you might get fixated on the pumps.... 😉

Yeah, it might be a day or two before he's back on the site here.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 10
Share: