Notifications
Clear all

Double wing with 5 and 6 year olds

Page 3 / 10

Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Well thankfully I don't do things to impress anyone.

What video did you purchase that didn't have video in it?  The really old stuff doesn't but any of the new stuff does....If I know what you bought I can help you out with which ones do.

Jack

I'm sorry I should have clarified myself. It wasn't any of your videos it was a streaming video from amazon from USA football. If your videos show player demo then I'll definitely give it a try.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

Hay Im too fat to be in drag...last time I was, it was halloween, I tried to wear womens high heels lasted 20 steps broke em, and I turned that two-two into a four by four!

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I ran Jack's Buck Wedge Series last year with my 6 & 7 year old team last year. I had three 5 year olds. It was very successful and very easy to coach. The motion for the FB, QB and wings is identical on almost every play so it can seriously confuse the defense. We averaged 28 points a game last season and could almost score at will. It also gave us the opportunity to let a lot of boys run the ball from the FB spot. Nearly every kid on my team had a carry last season.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I'm sorry I should have clarified myself. It wasn't any of your videos it was a streaming video from amazon from USA football. If your videos show player demo then I'll definitely give it a try.

Stay away from anything USA Football puts out. Most of it is garbage. They must have somebody who trolls the internet for playbooks then randomly selects 8 plays from them and puts it out as something worth running.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Coach,

If Rob is right and it is USA Football I shave heard bad things about it.  IM me and I will hook you up with a coupon for free access to my videos on the doublewingsymposium site so you get your monies worth 😄. It will give you 30 days free access to my videos and the DWS videos.  Just make sure you cancel afterwards unless you want to pay for it.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Stay away from anything USA Football puts out. Most of it is garbage.

I thought I'd check, so I went to their Web site just now & already caught a bit of garbage in their Q&A section:

"Can you throw the ball over someone's head, catch it then continue running?"
OUR ANSWER: Passers cannot catch their own passes unless it is first touched by someone else.

I checked their rule book, and they have no such rule.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Bob,
  Digging deeper it gets worse. One of the reasons I speak out so vehemently about these USA certs that so many of us have to get is that the stuff the put out to the public is just flat out nonsense. It seems the have no editorial process with their information. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Bob,
  Digging deeper it gets worse. One of the reasons I speak out so vehemently about these USA certs that so many of us have to get is that the stuff the put out to the public is just flat out nonsense. It seems the have no editorial process with their information.

R

half the questions they ask....I have to think twice about because the way they are worded I think they are trick questions.  ::)

I think some of their stuff is either written by Monkeys or intended to trip you up which means nothing because you can continually and immediately keep testing until you pass. Hilarious...a no fail test.  😛

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Bob,

I did a little more sampling & it's a mixed bag, fitting your description.  It looks mostly like they wanted to answer a lot of things fast, to give the impression they're the experts.  Some of it is good, some bad, but much of it is a brush-off that makes you wonder why they bothered including it.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The problem is the information is intended for newer coaches, many of which don't know any better. It would be difficult for an inexperienced coach to sort through the information and pull out what is actually useful.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

I am one who is excited to see where this transition leads to with you Jack.

It has been interesting so far.  I will post a ppt in Joe's private area for everyone to critique that runs spread.  This is my take on how I want things to run but so far...and we have had five "camps" of 1 hour each just focused on basic stuff and so far we look like we are getting it.  I like the progress but I found us today stepping back and reviewing basics once more but I expect that.

Here is what we have done so far:

1) taught the QB/RB INSIDE ZONE (DRIVE) footwork.  The RB's can read the FBI for the OT (we hitting in practice with a coach playing LB at about 75% so we need a lot of work on it).  QB is doing a nice job of reading the DE but we are hitting only about 60% of time on pull it and run....that needs work as well.  With that said considering the time and amount of kids we are working with I like what we see.  If I ran with our three primary RB's and three QB's we would have those percentages up by 10% I think.

2) We have taught FOLLOW tag - which is when we see the near DE and OLB are sitting on the read side and not bitting on the QB/RB mesh forcing the handoff.  The RB still has his FBI read and as he gets vertical he then looks to hit the first defender to cross his face.  The QB turns to show read and then turns and follows the RB.  He cuts off his first block.  This has looked really nice so far. 

3) We have taught DRIVE -SPEED which is basically speed option on the near side DE (near side being RB aligned side).  We are doing this when the NEAR SIDE DE is sitting on the read at the LOS.  We need to work on the RB gaining width before he goes vertical to maintain the toes to heel position with the QB and correct spacing.  We need to work on the QB pitch.  We have  stiff competition between two kids at QB and one has the read and pitch down cold.  Matter of fact he went 15 for 15 today on speed and looked really nice.  The other QB was rushing the move to the DE and forcing the pitch...I think it was a confidence issue today...so I need to work on that with him.

4) We have introduced STRETCH , STRETCH - FOLLOW, and STRETCH - SWING (swing option).  We need to work on this a lot but our main focus right now is perfecting inside zone (drive) and the two additional calls.  We will spend some more time in June we start back up again at the end of the month.

5) Slip and Smoke screen look good especially to our RTE and RSLOT...that is going to be a dangerous tandem on that side.  Our TE is a big boy who can block with power and is a pretty athletic kid with long arms and big hands.  Has dropped maybe 2 or 3 passes out of 100 passes so he is consistent and has been a great surprise so far.  Our slot is a smallish, fast, quick twitch kid with great hands and vision.  He can get the slip screen and just hit the extra gear in one movement...I can see these being nice plays against teams that have a OLB bitting hard or blitzing on the right side.

6) UP/DOWN is our TE pop passes UP being near side and DOWN being far side...we need to work on the throws and throw location.  I plan on spending more time on these.

7) NEAR/FAR pass for the slots...we need a lot of work on these from the QB... SLOTS are looking decent especially our right slot.  Our left slot his pusing his hands towards the balls so he is getting a lot of drops right now but his technique is good he just needs to A) soften/relax his hands and B) stop driving his hands forward and let the ball hit his hands and let them wrap the ball naturally.  That will come he is coachable.

8) Today I introduced the DUMP route for the near side slot and it looks ok..we need to work on a better cut and getting the head around to the inside to locate the ball quickly.  TE was introduced to the SMASH (corner ) route and we need a ton of work on it.

So far that is it....we did work on tempo and I have to say we did good...  We just worked on setting up, calling the cadence and firing off and sprinting for 5 to 10 yards, resetting on the whistle and listening to the call and repeating.  we did it for 400 yards straight and we managed to maintain the tempo enough that I was pleased.

That is about it...we are using a slot - TE on each side with a QB/RB in the backfield.  I want a seven man (double tight end) look. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I ran Jack's Buck Wedge Series last year with my 6 & 7 year old team last year. I had three 5 year olds. It was very successful and very easy to coach. The motion for the FB, QB and wings is identical on almost every play so it can seriously confuse the defense. We averaged 28 points a game last season and could almost score at will. It also gave us the opportunity to let a lot of boys run the ball from the FB spot. Nearly every kid on my team had a carry last season.

Since you were on the same age group anything you can tell me would be awesome. Do you have any game footage and how did you start out with teaching them?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I'll be adding the wedge but.. How do I teach kids something that I don't know how to even begin to teach. The closest thing to wedge blocking I taught was double team blocking. I guess what I'm saying is what videos do I need to buy that shows step by step on how to wedge block?

Do it from a 2-point stance.  I'd imagine it'd be much easier to teach at that age.  If you want to run the Wedge, I'm available to help.  It's my favorite play.  Feel free to call me.

--Dave (who has never coached 5-6 year-olds)

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

He makes it look easy Dave ciser makes it look more difficult. I had my 3 sons try it and it wasn't hard to teach. Hopefully my age group can catch on fast. I like to rep things until they get it perfect and then rep it some more.. The parents always hate it but their not the ones that have to learn it.

Just got back from Denver and Salt Lake City- taught 2 groups of kids how to wedge and run the base offense in less than 2 hours. Simple stuff

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Just got back from Denver and Salt Lake City- taught 2 groups of kids how to wedge and run the base offense in less than 2 hours. Simple stuff

I'm not trying to knock you. I have your DVDs I ws just saying the way Calande shows it is a little simpler.  I like your philosophy on coaching. I wanted to attend one of your clinics in Atlanta and I follow you on twitter.  It wasn't you it was me I needed it to be more simple at my age group. I'm sorry for the confusion..

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 10
Share: