Notifications
Clear all

Double wing with 5 and 6 year olds

Page 4 / 10

DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

It has been interesting so far.  I will post a ppt in Joe's private area for everyone to critique that runs spread.  This is my take on how I want things to run but so far...and we have had five "camps" of 1 hour each just focused on basic stuff and so far we look like we are getting it.  I like the progress but I found us today stepping back and reviewing basics once more but I expect that.

Here is what we have done so far:

1) taught the QB/RB INSIDE ZONE (DRIVE) footwork.  The RB's can read the FBI for the OT (we hitting in practice with a coach playing LB at about 75% so we need a lot of work on it).  QB is doing a nice job of reading the DE but we are hitting only about 60% of time on pull it and run....that needs work as well.  With that said considering the time and amount of kids we are working with I like what we see.  If I ran with our three primary RB's and three QB's we would have those percentages up by 10% I think.

2) We have taught FOLLOW tag - which is when we see the near DE and OLB are sitting on the read side and not bitting on the QB/RB mesh forcing the handoff.  The RB still has his FBI read and as he gets vertical he then looks to hit the first defender to cross his face.  The QB turns to show read and then turns and follows the RB.  He cuts off his first block.  This has looked really nice so far. 

3) We have taught DRIVE -SPEED which is basically speed option on the near side DE (near side being RB aligned side).  We are doing this when the NEAR SIDE DE is sitting on the read at the LOS.  We need to work on the RB gaining width before he goes vertical to maintain the toes to heel position with the QB and correct spacing.  We need to work on the QB pitch.  We have  stiff competition between two kids at QB and one has the read and pitch down cold.  Matter of fact he went 15 for 15 today on speed and looked really nice.  The other QB was rushing the move to the DE and forcing the pitch...I think it was a confidence issue today...so I need to work on that with him.

4) We have introduced STRETCH , STRETCH - FOLLOW, and STRETCH - SWING (swing option).  We need to work on this a lot but our main focus right now is perfecting inside zone (drive) and the two additional calls.  We will spend some more time in June we start back up again at the end of the month.

5) Slip and Smoke screen look good especially to our RTE and RSLOT...that is going to be a dangerous tandem on that side.  Our TE is a big boy who can block with power and is a pretty athletic kid with long arms and big hands.  Has dropped maybe 2 or 3 passes out of 100 passes so he is consistent and has been a great surprise so far.  Our slot is a smallish, fast, quick twitch kid with great hands and vision.  He can get the slip screen and just hit the extra gear in one movement...I can see these being nice plays against teams that have a OLB bitting hard or blitzing on the right side.

6) UP/DOWN is our TE pop passes UP being near side and DOWN being far side...we need to work on the throws and throw location.  I plan on spending more time on these.

7) NEAR/FAR pass for the slots...we need a lot of work on these from the QB... SLOTS are looking decent especially our right slot.  Our left slot his pusing his hands towards the balls so he is getting a lot of drops right now but his technique is good he just needs to A) soften/relax his hands and B) stop driving his hands forward and let the ball hit his hands and let them wrap the ball naturally.  That will come he is coachable.

8) Today I introduced the DUMP route for the near side slot and it looks ok..we need to work on a better cut and getting the head around to the inside to locate the ball quickly.  TE was introduced to the SMASH (corner ) route and we need a ton of work on it.

So far that is it....we did work on tempo and I have to say we did good...  We just worked on setting up, calling the cadence and firing off and sprinting for 5 to 10 yards, resetting on the whistle and listening to the call and repeating.  we did it for 400 yards straight and we managed to maintain the tempo enough that I was pleased.

That is about it...we are using a slot - TE on each side with a QB/RB in the backfield.  I want a seven man (double tight end) look. 

Jack

According to many leagues all of this activity is cheating to the extreme.  Gives an unfair advantage blah, blah, blah. 

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Our league wont allow it, but I could care less if anyone does it or not. More power to them IMO

IN the Omaha league- could do it, no rules on practice times or frequency. Several teams were doing this in June, we never started until 8/1
In Reno- they had a rule, not sure if it was enforced or not. Dont know, I didnt get there until day 2 of week 1

We are doing speed training now but with baseball- just 33 kids out of 95 showing up- no big deal

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

According to many leagues all of this activity is cheating to the extreme.  Gives an unfair advantage blah, blah, blah.

They play flag football here in the spring so as long as thst is going on we can get in reps.  Most of the teams play flag and most of our kids play baseball and basketball.  We don't have an issue with it.

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach,

If Rob is right and it is USA Football I shave heard bad things about it.  IM me and I will hook you up with a coupon for free access to my videos on the doublewingsymposium site so you get your monies worth 😄. It will give you 30 days free access to my videos and the DWS videos.  Just make sure you cancel afterwards unless you want to pay for it.

Jack

Coach I'll take you up on your offer. Just PM me the coupon code. I PMed you and emailed you not sure what else to do?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

He [Steve Calande] makes it look easy Dave ciser makes it look more difficult.

But they're using different techniques.  Dave Cisar's using unbalanced line, Steve Calande's using balanced.  Dave Cisar's getting shoulders under the rib cage, Steve Calande's getting shoulders on butts.  It's not a matter of how they make it look.

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I had Dave's blocking dvd When I first watched it I wasn't sure how to teach the kids that. Now after studying looking buying the Gregory dvd I know I can teach my kids any of the techniques. I think I was just intimidated by it. All I knew back then was the Wing T jet sweep. I wish I would have looked into the double Wing more then. I would have been more successful. Especially the Wedge..

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Update: After 2 practices my Wedge looks real good I did freeze forming first and then had them line up and mesh. I was worried that they wasn't going to catch on fast enough but they impressed me. The first time they tridy to mesh it was really slow but then they understood what I wanted out of them and they did it. Now I've got to get the center and QB exchange down. Then we'll move to power series. I saw o post about kamikaze defensive player being able to stop the Wedge. Can some one tell me what thats all about?

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

A Kamikaze gives up his own life to take out something important to his enemy ...

If a kid dives into your Centers knees your might wedge can quite easily fall down like dominoes ...

That doesnt happen everywhere ... sometimes your kids stomping all over the Kamikaze will discourage this tactic enough to keep running wedge ... other times it wont ...

We once played a team that had 4 kids rotating at the A-gaps ... diving ... cutting ... getting stomped on by the herd ... crying ... bleeding ... but diving and cutting again and again ... their coaches were keeping them pumped up about stopping us and it worked pretty well ...

Another year we faced a single kid who had my Center crying all game because his helmet was cracking my kids knees and shins over and over again ...

We eventually had to stop calling Wedge in both games ... it happens ...

Good News is that tactic stops Wedge and Trap but doesnt help on anything else ... so make sure your other plays work ... 😎

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

How many times do you think that 5yo ng will be able to handle getting stepped on. Once and then he won't do it anymore because it hurts. That goes for most older kids as well but the number may go up to 3 or 4 times. High Knees!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

How many times do you think that 5yo ng will be able to handle getting stepped on. Once and then he won't do it anymore because it hurts. That goes for most older kids as well but the number may go up to 3 or 4 times. High Knees!

If he does it the way described above, he might get stepped on.  If he does it be crabbing across the apex from a gap or position away, there'll be so little of his body exposed, he can't get stepped on, if you're running a regular wedge.  The crabber's body will be under that of the apex player.

Someone here described a counter to that play, wherein you fake the regular wedge -- but it is another play to install.

Like any other play, wedge can be stopped if you know it's coming.  But if you guess wrong...well, that's why the play call's a secret!

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

How many times do you think that 5yo ng will be able to handle getting stepped on. .......

About the same number of times a 5 yo Center will be able to handle getting a helmet to his shins ... aggressive cutting ... true kamikaze style cutting by the defense can and will shut down a Wedge play ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

About the same number of times a 5 yo Center will be able to handle getting a helmet to his shins ... aggressive cutting ... true kamikaze style cutting by the defense can and will shut down a Wedge play ...

Point taken.

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Help! Against my defense my wedge looks horrible. A line the defense up on my offense and they forget everything I taught them. I told them not to worry about the guy in front of you just get in the Wedge and push. What do they do? half of them disperse and hit the guy in front of them. What do I do? I have 5 practices left. At what point do I abandoned the whole thing and move on to something more simple? I'm running out of time here. Any help would be amazing. One of my main problems is the nose guard if there isn't one my center just leaves his team mates behind (even with the 12 year old team that I only help out on the weekend). I tell the center half step and go for the goal post but I tell him to make sure he feels them push him. It looks disgusting. Coach JJ or Gregory who ever I need some help here. If your Wedge isn't working what do you do for my age group? I'm giving it 3 more practices and I'm moving on to something else.. I know I have to start all over and slow it down. Also at my age group 5 and 6 yo the nose guard can't be over a certain weight so no one is going to line up one so I must prepare myself not to have that guy to aim for and push on. Ideas thank you..

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Help! Against my defense my wedge looks horrible. A line the defense up on my offense and they forget everything I taught them. I told them not to worry about the guy in front of you just get in the Wedge and push. What do they do? half of them disperse and hit the guy in front of them. What do I do? I have 5 practices left. At what point do I abandoned the whole thing and move on to something more simple? I'm running out of time here. Any help would be amazing. One of my main problems is the nose guard if there isn't one my center just leaves his team mates behind (even with the 12 year old team that I only help out on the weekend). I tell the center half step and go for the goal post but I tell him to make sure he feels them push him.

If you're wedging shoulder into butt, then if there's nobody on the apex player's nose, he should take 2 short steps forward, then lean back on his teammates, as if he were sitting on their shoulders.  He should let them push him downfield, dragging his cleats if need be.  That way he gives them enough resistance to hold the wedge together.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Coach JJ or Gregory who ever I need some help here.

If your Wedge isn't working what do you do for my age group?

I'm "who ever."  Call me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 10
Share: