Notifications

Dropped the Double Wing and have a losing Season  

RSS

Run68bone
(@run68bone)
Bronze
November 28, 2018 8:07 am  

I follow Myron Miller, who just resigned as Head Football Coach at Tustin HS (CA). This year he dropped the Double Wing after running it for decades. Here is the article about going to a Pro Style offense.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/15/tustin-football-coach-myron-miller-adjusts-with-the-times-adopts-new-offense/

The main reason he does this is to get more players out for football. Lets see what happens. I'll just post the records below. I'm a DW fan, it doesn't mean you can't win without it but at Tustin HS it is proven to to be successful.

2018: 4-7 No Double Wing
2017: 8-3 DW
2016: 9-3 DW
2015: 8-3 No DW- Different Coach
2014: 6-5 NoDW -Different Coach
2013: 1-9 No DWDifferent coach
2012: 12-1 DW
2011: 11-3 DW CIF Champions

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
November 28, 2018 8:59 am  

I wonder how well he knew the pro style offense? My guess is not nearly as good as the DW.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 28, 2018 12:58 pm  

I follow Myron Miller, who just resigned as Head Football Coach at Tustin HS (CA). This year he dropped the Double Wing after running it for decades. Here is the article about going to a Pro Style offense.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/15/tustin-football-coach-myron-miller-adjusts-with-the-times-adopts-new-offense/

The main reason he does this is to get more players out for football. Lets see what happens. I'll just post the records below. I'm a DW fan, it doesn't mean you can't win without it but at Tustin HS it is proven to to be successful.

2018: 4-7 No Double Wing
2017: 8-3 DW
2016: 9-3 DW
2015: 8-3 No DW- Different Coach
2014: 6-5 NoDW -Different Coach
2013: 1-9 No DWDifferent coach
2012: 12-1 DW
2011: 11-3 DW CIF Champions

I will refrain from commenting.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 28, 2018 1:02 pm  

I will refrain from commenting.

--Dave

No, I won't.  I love this comment:  “I’m not going back (to the double-wing),” he said. “You’ve got to do what gives the kids the best chance to win, and if you get stubborn and don’t progress, you’re not giving the kids the best chance.”

So the new offense gave them "the best chance" to go 4-7?  Nothing wrong with changing the scheme, but if you're going to change it, you'd better know what you're doing.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 28, 2018 3:39 pm  

No, I won't.  I love this comment:  “I’m not going back (to the double-wing),” he said. “You’ve got to do what gives the kids the best chance to win, and if you get stubborn and don’t progress, you’re not giving the kids the best chance.”

So the new offense gave them "the best chance" to go 4-7?  Nothing wrong with changing the scheme, but if you're going to change it, you'd better know what you're doing.

--Dave

Exactly!  I dropped the Double Wing this year, opting for "Spread" with RPO inklings.  We Scored more points this season and Won 2 more games than last year with DW.  HOWEVER, that is not to say that the DW is Bad.  Its just to say that for this particular group of kids, the Spread just made more sense to me.  Trust me!  I am a believer in Ground and Pound, control the clock, etc.  While we scored more and won 2 more games, we were still under .500 winning percentage wise. I consider that a Win even if incremental.  Shallow Victory?  Perhaps but, we won more of the small battles, with a lot less confusion.

The difference is having read and talked to DP and MH Coach over the years. I felt confident enough to give it a TRY!  Either way we had no where to go but up!  If we failed it was 100% on me! 

Whats the "Moral Of The Story"?  What Dave said!  That and beating a Square Peg in a Round Hole!    LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 28, 2018 5:10 pm  

Kids wanna play what they see on tv

Unless...

Youre a winning and already succesful program. Eg De la salle who runs sbv, kids parents don't even know what that is lol

My alma mater left the del wing t and have had a lot of success with spread starting in 2008. Theyve been rpo'ing since then. The coach and commitment from players need to be there for anyone to be succesful i feel

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: