32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 19, 2020 6:03 pm  
Posted by: @robert

If there is a NT in front of the center he is to engage the man in front of him at the snap. If there is no man in front of the center of the wedge, he is to wait for the push.

For a long time, I taught my center or guard who is leading the wedge to slow up after a couple of steps until he feels the wedge fit behind him.  Now I prefer him to explode out as fast as possible no matter what is in front of him and I prefer wedging at bubbles.  That's where I try to call my wedges, easy yards.  If the adjacent linemen catch up, great.  If they don't, that's fine also as long as they are exploding forward and preventing inside penetration.  The ball has to get through the line now! 

ReplyQuote
jcarbon2
(@jcarbon2)
Gold
February 19, 2020 10:24 pm  

@coachdp

Dave,

What we do is the OGs have the tip of their toes on the outside of the centers ankles. The OTs place their inside foot with toes at mid fleet of the OGs. Same goes with The TEs with the OTs. So for the wedge we look a little bowed but most teams do not pickup on it.

John 

Expert in "BRAIN DEAD DEFENSE" and the "CAVEMAN SPREAD"

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 20, 2020 9:10 pm  
Posted by: @jcarbon2

Anybody want to expand on alignment and in particular foot placement? 

I coach shoulder into butt, rugby/Calande style; 2nd row (guards if wedging on center) inside shoulders rubbing each other.  Inside arm can make a flipper or bear crawl (3-legged) on the ground with; don't tempt the wedgers to grab on, don't tempt the officials to see a hold that isn't there.  Outside hand up at face level to fend off opponents, push them lower if they try to go low.  3rd row (tackles if wedging on center) rub shoulders with the ballcarrier, who needs to crouch in there to make it fit tight.

Apex player forearms up and crossed.

I don't care where their feet go, nor where they point.  If a little external rotation at the ankle improves their shove, fine.  If pigeon toed, I doubt that'd help, but fine anyway.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bob Goodman

bignose liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 23, 2020 9:40 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

I coach shoulder into butt, rugby/Calande style; 2nd row (guards if wedging on center) inside shoulders rubbing each other.  Inside arm can make a flipper or bear crawl (3-legged) on the ground with; don't tempt the wedgers to grab on, don't tempt the officials to see a hold that isn't there.  Outside hand up at face level to fend off opponents, push them lower if they try to go low.  3rd row (tackles if wedging on center) rub shoulders with the ballcarrier, who needs to crouch in there to make it fit tight.

I don't care where their feet go, nor where they point.  If a little external rotation at the ankle improves their shove, fine.  If pigeon toed, I doubt that'd help, but fine anyway.

Bear crawl on wedge????? 

I would like to, officially, revise my rankings of craziest Bob ideals.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
February 23, 2020 11:05 am  

You could always put a saddle on the apex man and have the back ride on him while he bearcrawls to the endzone😂

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 23, 2020 1:31 pm  

@rpatric

I originally wanted to make a snide comment about the runner having to ride side saddle, but then I decided that would be an immature response and decided not to.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
February 23, 2020 7:16 pm  

@32wedge

Fair enough. All in good fun. I just like to be a smart ass once in a while. 

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 23, 2020 11:49 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

Bear crawl on wedge????? 

I would like to, officially, revise my rankings of craziest Bob ideals.

When you wedge shoulder into butt, that keeps your shoulder at the proper height.  And having your fist down gives officials no excuse to hallucinate it as interlocked interference.

If you're using some other contact point for your shoulder, then putting a fist on the ground would not be appropriate.  But whatever other contact point you use, you're not transmitting nearly as much force as you would if you do it thru the butt.  I understand that's not the only consideration for some; some want to have a wedge that "explodes" easily when it gets stuffed, or a wedge that moves faster downfield when it's against no, or only token, resistance.

Rpatric wrote:

You could always put a saddle on the apex man and have the back ride on him while he bearcrawls to the endzone

If it were legal, I would!  In NCAA rules, minus the saddle, I think that actually is legal now; you can block the runner forward, so I think a no-hands technique like piggyback would be legal too.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bob Goodman

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 24, 2020 5:58 am  
you're not transmitting nearly as much force as you would if you do it thru the butt.

You are a classic, Bob!

I teach my wedge fit contact from front of breastplate/flipper to butt of the next lineman to your inside.  

I definitely want my wedge to get through the defensive line as fast as possible.  I think having a kid put a hand on the ground is just going to cause a massive logjam in front of the runner.  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: