Clear all

Murphy Shotgun DW flip the line?

Page 1 / 2

jcarbon2
(@jcarbon2)
Gold
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

Any of you know if he flips the line? Also, anybody know of anybody that has dumbed it down (blocking wise) for youth level?

Expert in "BRAIN DEAD DEFENSE" and the "CAVEMAN SPREAD"

dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze

I used a little of the gun DW last yr. I used TKO with power and counter. I ran Trojan sweep the same as Doublwingcoach. If you haven't seen his offense you can YouTube his name and find some great film on the gun DW. He uses calande's Good God system for blocking. I didn't flip my line last year and I don't plan on doing it this year. I think that falls more on personal preference.

ReplyQuote
Coach Hot Rod
(@rbrwindwolv)
Copper

I do not believe the he flips his line as I gather he has the talent across the board to not have to do so.  That said, we did this with no problem at the 12U level last year.  The main reason is we only had a couple that could really pull with authority so wanted to bring that as much as possible.  As was stated you can use any common DW blocking scheme that suits your kids such as TKO. 

All that said, our kids grasped his blocking rules pretty easily which Murphy simplifies as follows:
1) Has a Coach of the Play at the point of attack, i.e. 4 man on Power is the Right Tackle.  Trojan is the 6 man (TE) so the playside WB is the doubler.
2) Man immediate to his outside is the doubler that is he is forcing the double team with the Right Tackle
3) Everyone else blocks On to Down until you hit something

Only other words of wisdom is you have to keep working pulling drills with your pullers.  Do not give up on it and use Murphy's full speed mentality.  Don't be overly concerned if they don't hit the right defender or hit any defender at all.  Just keep working to get them there ensuring they never turn their shoulders to chase anyone.  Just keep going full speed.  This is hard  as a coach to overcome but stay the course.  You will be amazed as they will start to get there with authority and will start hitting the right people.  Keep focusing on speed and never stop, don't chase, just keep going as defenders tend to avoid them and when that happens your back is free to make a play.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Keep focusing on speed and never stop, don't chase, just keep going as defenders tend to avoid them and when that happens your back is free to make a play.

Great advice, this. ^. Double Wingers need to really understand what this means.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Hey guys,

Any of you know if he flips the line? Also, anybody know of anybody that has dumbed it down (blocking wise) for youth level?

For me, any offense that isn’t built on running the exact same plays both ways would be best designed with flipping the entire formation in effect creating strong side plays and weak side plays.

So, every time you install a single play, you are in many ways installing the assignments both ways ...this is what we did so effectively at Daniel Boone with my balanced line sw which was simply the dw offense from the gun.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

For me, any offense that isn’t built on running the exact same plays both ways would be best designed with flipping the entire formation in effect creating strong side plays and weak side plays.

So, every time you install a single play, you are in many ways installing the assignments both ways ...this is what we did so effectively at Daniel Boone with my balanced line sw which was simply the dw offense from the gun.

I agree, but go farther in that I think you should unbalance the line too.  Why make your pulling OL have to move every time after the snap when you show the defense the "pull side" before the snap?

Others have pointed out that there are some plays you can run with the pullers the other way, so as to get that speed into space.  True, but it still limits you, & I think jet/ plays are more deceptive with the QB under C anyway.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

I agree, but go farther in that I think you should unbalance the line too.  Why make your pulling OL have to move every time after the snap when you show the defense the "pull side" before the snap?

Others have pointed out that there are some plays you can run with the pullers the other way, so as to get that speed into space.  True, but it still limits you, & I think jet/ plays are more deceptive with the QB under C anyway.

Draw a line through the middle of a balanced line sw....do the same vs unbalanced line sw.....which is actually more unbalanced?

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Draw a line through the middle of a balanced line sw....do the same vs unbalanced line sw.....which is actually more unbalanced?

Who cares?  In which one do you have your players having to move farther than the other team's players to get to the action?

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Who cares?  In which one do you have your players having to move farther than the other team's players to get to the action?

Guards and tackles pull both sides, strong side and weak side, better wedges with balanced line in my opinion and better pass protection from the snapper. My opinions of course.

ReplyQuote
Coach Davs
(@coach-chris)
Bronze

I have never flipped the line, but if that is what you like I do not see why you can't. I also use Murphy's blocking rules, and have never had a huge issues. Like was said above get those pullers moving full speed. Simple advice yet great advice.

Christopher Davenport
Strength Coach & OC Whiting High School
Northlake Pop Warner Football Commissioner
Offense=Murphy Shotgun Wing
Defense=3-4

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Guards and tackles pull both sides, strong side and weak side, better wedges with balanced line in my opinion and better pass protection from the snapper. My opinions of course.

My opinions agree w yours, which is why I ran balanced & pulled in both directions -- even though we had only 1 puller in the formation, lined up the same.  I'm just saying that anyone who uses balanced line & does pull from only 1 side & flips it is being silly, making his OL move after the snap to where the defense is already if they adjusted.

"Which formation is more unbalanced?" is an issue only for what the defense has to do to adjust.  I say show them as little as possible, for as short a tiime as possible, before the snap, unless you gain something like fly motion gives you, which I can't imagine you can get from anything other than fly motion.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Ran Murphy gun for my last 4 years of coaching. Always flipped. Always tried to not flip. And then came back to flipping.

And always blocked it same as always. In other words, running Murphy gun didn’t impact my blocking scheme.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze

I ran DTDW year and flipped my line as well. At least where I coach, most DC’s are screaming at their kids to get in there point stances and to “be ready” before I’ve even broke huddle it seems. So to me, flipping the line was never really an issue. I only once race into a coach that keyed my offset BB and had his strong side shift to accommodate. However, that only happened in the scrimmage as in our game I had him stay behind the QB until down was called and then he shifted. Doing this effectively stopped the pre snap read as they would be sprinting to adjust while we were snapping the ball.

With all that said, I’m going to try really hard this year to take a page from Calande and place them early and coach them up. At the end of the day if I want 4 pullers I need to be able to coach 4 pullers. Last year at 8U I only had one and we flipped the line, but that was a coaching issue, not a player issue. I truly believe as coaches this is more a confidence issue for us than it is a preference. Now I’m not knocking anyone who flips or only pulls one, hell that might end up being me again. But a lot of times we tend to think things can’t be done because we lack the confidence in ourselves to properly coach it. But remember, the best experience comes from learning what not to do.

Either way, good luck on the upcoming season coaches

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

To each his own.  But, I'm no longer as big of a believer in leaving O-linemen in the same position at the youth level if you have an O-line coach and some players that really understand how the plays work.  One season we had two big stud O-linemen that I flipped all over to any position in between the TE's. Truth be told, either-or, both- could play TE, also.  I am damned sure not a guru on the subject. I definitely don't know how well it would work at HS level.  DW at youth level, we don't often get the luxury of having 5 stud O-linemen and two stud TE's across the front.  So, I still like to move linemen whenever I have the type of linemen that can execute on that level. 

First of all, most youth level DC's never even pick up on it anyway. And, even for the ones that do, trying to chase stud linemen all over a formation is way more difficult to do than it sounds.  It usually results in us moving the ball and scoring. Secondly, moving linemen to different positions and executing a variety of plays only seems to be limited by a coach's imagination.  It's like changing a formation within a formation and most people watching being none the wiser.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

To each his own.  But, I'm no longer as big of a believer in leaving O-linemen in the same position at the youth level if you have an O-line coach and some players that really understand how the plays work.  One season we had two big stud O-linemen that I flipped all over to any position in between the TE's. Truth be told, either-or, both- could play TE, also.  I am damned sure not a guru on the subject. I definitely don't know how well it would work at HS level.  DW at youth level, we don't often get the luxury of having 5 stud O-linemen and two stud TE's across the front.  So, I still like to move linemen whenever I have the type of linemen that can execute on that level. 

First of all, most youth level DC's never even pick up on it anyway. And, even for the ones that do, trying to chase stud linemen all over a formation is way more difficult to do than it sounds.  It usually results in us moving the ball and scoring. Secondly, moving linemen to different positions and executing a variety of plays only seems to be limited by a coach's imagination.  It's like changing a formation within a formation and most people watching being none the wiser.

If you really do shift them all over the formation, not just mirroring it, then it would be very hard to pick up and adjust to.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: