Notifications
Clear all

Power to the left

Page 1 / 4

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

So how many coaches here run power both ways routinely. My understanding was that Run Power till they cry, and when they shift run counter. I have two solid LWB candidates and am trying to determine if I should flip/sub them and run right or try to run power both ways.

At this point in the season, I’m only worried about getting 34 Power and wedge going for our scrimmage on Thursday, so power left is the least of my concern. But figured while I got all these wonderful minds available I might as well get some first hand experience.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

So how many coaches here run power both ways routinely. My understanding was that Run Power till they cry, and when they shift run counter. I have two solid LWB candidates and am trying to determine if I should flip/sub them and run right or try to run power both ways.

At this point in the season, I’m only worried about getting 34 Power and wedge going for our scrimmage on Thursday, so power left is the least of my concern. But figured while I got all these wonderful minds available I might as well get some first hand experience.

-Brian

While I run mostly Single Wing, I added a package that I picked up from Coach Cox. He basically lines up in a Double Wing with an unbalanced line to the left. I run the power to the left until they move over. Then, I run either a counter or sweep back to the right to make them second-guessing the shift.

There's some great stuff in Cox forum, if this sounds like an idea you might want to use.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper

We run power and counter both ways.  My left wing is a big tough kid that,  that will fight to get me my promised 4 yds. My rt wings are quicker but run it well too.. we have sat down will DP this year and put our best all around back at the FB spot. Our first  game Saturday it  worked out pretty good.

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze

Last year I ran power both ways pretty equally along with counter, but I had the RBs to do so. This yr its looking like I will only run power to the left 3 maybe 4 times a game just to keep the defense honest and be able to run counter the right.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Def have toss both ways i feel is best.

If you only run ,counter, trap, or G to one side its no big deal.  If you only run toss to one side youre going to short change your offense imo

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We ran everything both ways. No sense in being that predictable.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

we have sat down will DP this year and put our best all around back at the FB spot.

Yes, we did Bill.  Had a great time down in Orlando with you and your staff.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Boug
 Boug
(@boug)
Copper

We had Power both ways but as we found out in our games, we ended up running Power to the right twice as much as Power to the left.  Our Left WB was a bigger kid and could ram it home so we fed him the ball on Power pretty much and that's it.  Our right WB was a smaller faster kid and we killed teams on the counter back to the right with him.  We did run some Power with him but after pounding the right side with our bigger left WB that counter went.  Also being the smaller and faster kid we ran a lot of Jet and Rocket to the left with him and hit rocket counter with the bigger left WB to the right and that gained big yards also. 
If you have 2 bigger kids that can buck it up in there i'd rep Power both ways and during the game find which side is the weaker side and pound that side, if they over play that side then you still have a kid who can pound the Power to the other side.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Back when I ran the DW, we ran Power to the Right with our really fast wing...and to the left with our punishing wing...and mostly ran counter with our punishing wing...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Back when I ran the DW, we ran Power to the Right with our really fast wing...and to the left with our punishing wing...and mostly ran counter with our punishing wing...

Thats interesting. Any particular reason you ran counter with your bruiser. Did you ever feel like the faster kid would have been more useful on those plays.

-Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Thats interesting. Any particular reason you ran counter with your bruiser. Did you ever feel like the faster kid would have been more useful on those plays.

-Brian

Brian, something you'll need to know about Chris.  He is crazy.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Brian, something you'll need to know about Chris.  He is crazy.

--Dave

Good to know.

-Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Good to know.

-Brian

When Chris started with, "Back when I ran the DW" should have been a hint.  That's the same as "used to."  And if you leave DW, after you've run DW, what does that tell you?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

When Chris started with, "Back when I ran the DW" should have been a hint.  That's the same as "used to."  And if you leave DW, after you've run DW, what does that tell you?

--Dave

What does it tell me?

It tells me he’s the kind of guy that puts sweet and low in unsweetened tea.

-Brian 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

What does it tell me?

It tells me he’s the kind of guy that puts sweet and low in unsweetened tea.

-Brian 

I know, right?  Makes absolutely no sense.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: