RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2020 2:32 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Oh, it's pretty far from ingenious. Like most weird things we do, we just fell into it. I wish I had kept track of all the "ingenious" ideas I've had over the years that never stuck. A few that did: keeping the ball on the near hash (Mahonz' idea), Football on a stick, 2 point stance on the line, and insisting that players neatly arrange their helmets in a straight line when the arrive at the practice/game field.

I think Mahonz' bug sprayer device for watering the players is genius.  Keeping the ball on the near hash is a great idea.  Long been a proponent of the 2-point stance.  Football on a stick tastes terrible, though.  We don't do the helmets in a straight line because we're wearing them.  But we do insist that the player's travel bags are lined up in an orderly fashion.  I'm OCD about stuff like that.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 9, 2020 2:37 pm  

the last season I coached, we didn't take off the hats during water breaks and the kids came up with this great idea not to kneel or sit.  I thought it was a bit hardcore but it was their idea...so we went with it.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 2:59 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

We don't do the helmets in a straight line because we're wearing them.  But we do insist that the player's travel bags are lined up in an orderly fashion.  I'm OCD about stuff like that.

--Dave

Just about every team we face drops their helmets where ever in pre-game/pre-practice. I think it looks like garbage and the helmet has your logo on it. One team saw us doing that, then quickly mimicked us and put their helmets in a straight line. The kids did this, not the coaches. That made me happy.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2020 3:23 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

I thought it was a bit hardcore but it was their idea...so we went with it.

Players take their lead from how they are coached.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2020 3:25 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Just about every team we face drops their helmets where ever in pre-game/pre-practice.  I think it looks like garbage

--I'll agree x 100.

The kids did this, not the coaches. That made me happy.

--See my "how they are lead" comment.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 9, 2020 3:30 pm  

I thought it was a bit hardcore but it was their idea...so we went with it.

Players take their lead from how they are coached.

--Dave

Reminded me of how George Foreman wouldn't sit between rounds.  It was also kind of good practice because you don't sit down during a game...so they got that reinforced daily at practice.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 3:44 pm  

I think Mahonz' bug sprayer device for watering the players is genius.  

--Dave

It has the potential to be a HUGE distraction. I used one when Kent and I were coaching together and I had 24 baby birds surrounding me. Nothing else in the world mattered but the "magic water thingy". I warned Mahonz when he said he was going to use one. Our current team is the biggest bunch of butterfly chasers you've ever seen, yet on game day . . . business as usual. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 3:55 pm  

I don't know anything about the football on a stick...is that for training defense?

Yes. Some coaches use a whistle to start a warmup exercise, which I think is counter-productive to the mantra of "play hard through the whistle". Some use their cadence, which I think is counter productive to the d-line ignoring the cadence and following the ball. Thus, "football on a stick" so start every warm up rep. The first football on a stick was a work of art. Fast, lightweight and decked out in team colors. Someone on one of our Spring teams ended up with it. Mahonz replaced it with a beat to crap leather ball with a Big Bertha driver shoved in it's cavity. I will begrudgingly admit that Mahonz' football on a stick has more character.

Last week, I was reminded of the cornerstone of the DP philosophy. "It's not the drill, but how you run it."  This is the 3rd straight season of running "football on a stick" with this group. One of our former players, a HS student is coaching with us and is in charge of our warm ups, including "football on a stick". We scrimmaged a team last Monday who shares the practice park with us. They change their cadence up a lot and we fell for it hook, line and sinker, over and over and over.

Our "football on a stick" coach had been taking a methodical approach and it reflected in our performance. The very next practice, I gently corrected that coach and will keep a close eye on the situation going forward. 

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 9, 2020 5:26 pm  

We've had the flipping and offset conversations before.  To each their own.  My commitment to flipping was based a few things:

To start with, I first installed DW ('08) mid-season with 9-10 year old kids.  We hadn't scored that season, mostly due to shitty coaching.  I ran the offense, so, uh, yeah.  Found the DW online, had three practices until the next game.  No way was I flipping, wasn't manly or some such nonsense - remember...shitty coaching.  The first time I ran counter as a team on air, both G's pulled and ran into each other.  At that moment, I designated strong side and quick side, taught Red/Blue, and started flipping.  Got shut out in the first game out in a rainstorm against an undefeated team, but we moved the ball some.  Put up 32 the next game, and closed the season putting up 26.  Yeah, got shut out again in between, LOL, but, well, that was one of those "remember that game?" days with a lot of other shit going down.

TO ME, flipping became a no-brainer.  I always had one TE significantly better than the others.  I always had 1 or 2 pullers significantly better than the others.  I always had one or two road graders who were better blocking downhill than in space.  And I always had a couple of kids I had to hide on the line.  All of those added up to flipping my line.  Multiple seasons I started out not flipping for counter, my counter SUCKED, I started flipping for counter.  There's only one season I stopped flipping, and that's when I had 18 kids, and the talent across the line was actually pretty equal.  I had jury-rigged the whole offense by then anyway, not sure I could even call it DW anymore.

Offsetting FB - committed to that when my FB was so slow getting into wedge that he was getting sandwiched by the DE's.  I know - there are ways around that, but offsetting was simple, and as far as I was concerned, made counter even more deadly.

Kind of interesting now that I think about it - most of my philosophies are less about going with success and more about getting rid of failure.  Hunh.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 7:52 pm  
Posted by: @jrk5150

The first time I ran counter as a team on air, both G's pulled and ran into each other.  At that moment, I designated strong side and quick side, taught Red/Blue, and started flipping. 

LOL! Same here. Except Kent and I didn't start flipping until the next season.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 10, 2020 10:04 am  
Posted by: @jrk5150

most of my philosophies are less about going with success and more about getting rid of failure.

John, that's actually the kernel of successful coaching.

I had the opportunity to learn from 2 really bad 1st-Time-Headers when I was starting out.  The things they would do not only made no sense to the kids, they made no sense to me.  I vowed that if I ever became a header, the FIRST thing I would do is eliminate the self-inflicted stupidity.  To this day, I clearly remember that in each game, we not only had to play against our opponent, but we were firmly committed to playing against ourselves.  When I took over as header, while I had little clue as to what I should do, I was very well versed in what I should not do.  Amazing how many games you can win, when you stay away from self-inflicted stupidity.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: