Notifications

SGDW DTDW concepts in flag football  

RSS

flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
September 11, 2019 5:32 pm  

A nearby elementary school needs a fb coach but they are flag and 8-on-8. First downs are marked 20 yards apart. Has anyone tried running SGDW or DTDW concepts in flag football? Any idea if it would work?

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
September 12, 2019 5:38 am  

In addition to coaching 8u tackle football, I also coach 6u flag football. The rules are similar to the ones you described below except that it's 7-on-7 and there's no blocking (e.g. the kids can impede, but they cannot make contact).

Since we're not allowed to block, I lined up the kids in the double wing (which raised a few eyebrows because my 8u team runs mostly Single Wing). On each play, the FB runs dive, one WB runs counter, and the other runs sweep... I just change who gets the ball. This has worked pretty well for us in the first two scrimmages...our first game is on Saturday.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's responses!

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 12, 2019 9:56 am  

A friendly reminder that there’s FLAG, and there’s FOOTBALL, no such thing as flag football.  🙂

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
October 12, 2019 11:26 pm  

Confirmed: SGDW concepts does work in flag football. It is football after all  ;D

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2019 11:37 pm  

A friendly reminder that there’s FLAG, and there’s FOOTBALL, no such thing as flag football.

^ THIS.  Please...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
October 13, 2019 9:04 pm  

A friendly reminder that there’s FLAG, and there’s FOOTBALL, no such thing as flag football.  🙂

I still don't understand this. please help me understand

ReplyQuote
Share: