Notifications

Spring Ball&Camp  

RSS

Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
January 27, 2014 8:46 am  

I am very excited because we are running a free camp to the public before we start spring ball next week.I got the idea for running camp from this forum last year.We ran a few each month right before the season started.We focused mostly on fundamentals,agility,running form, and some team building exercises.Out of the 26 kids i had on my roster 20 had never played organized tackle but they went to camp..After looking over my roster my whole team was created from running the free camp!!I never thought about until i started contacting my returning players and other kids to come out for the camp.So i am really putting extra time and effort into this camp for the kids and improving  their athletic ability and fundamentals.Also stressing this to the other coaches.I am convinced i have players out there just waiting to be developed.

coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
January 27, 2014 9:34 am  

I am very excited because we are running a free camp to the public before we start spring ball next week.I got the idea for running camp from this forum last year.We ran a few each month right before the season started.We focused mostly on fundamentals,agility,running form, and some team building exercises.Out of the 26 kids i had on my roster 20 had never played organized tackle but they went to camp..After looking over my roster my whole team was created from running the free camp!!I never thought about until i started contacting my returning players and other kids to come out for the camp.So i am really putting extra time and effort into this camp for the kids and improving  their athletic ability and fundamentals.Also stressing this to the other coaches.I am convinced i have players out there just waiting to be developed.

Coach,

I started doing it years and year ago...it paid off for the orgs I coached in...one of them we nearly tripled the size of the org and managed to be in the top 5 of teams at all levels during that period in a league with nearly 100 teams completing at each level...  The camps allowed us to develop our athletes, recruit additional players, and more importantly properly assess development needs of our current and incoming players.  I also think it did a good job of weeding out kids/families that were not fully committed to playing sports (football)....  It took a lot of effort and hard work on the child's part to get through a work out much less and entire work out program in the offseason and it took effort on the parent's part as well.

I think if you stick with it the results you will see in your org/team will be tremondous.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
January 27, 2014 11:23 am  

Coach I am convinced that it will payoff.I have a 7 year old name Jordan who was a tall,lanky uncoordinated kid at our first camp last year in june.After several camps and a whole season under his belt he is my best blocker.What i found out from the camp that was most impressive is the how the kids developed the love for football!!Their parents texted me all the time how the kids miss practice or they call me coach still when they see me at walmart or at the schools.I couldnt wait for spring to start so i asked then kids do they want to meet on saturdays to run some plays.They were soo excited to return to the field.I was so impressed.So we met the last 3 or 4 saturdays and ran plays for about an hour.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 28, 2014 7:54 am  

my whole team was created from running the free camp!

--For years, that's been our approach to growing our youth org.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
January 28, 2014 1:16 pm  

All the kids i coach are  the same age.I am going out of my way to retain these same kids year after year.Kids that could barely get into a half decent 3 point stance before the camp are now my team captains.I am excited about how good these kids could be in a year or two.

ReplyQuote
mmarra82
(@mmarra82)
Copper
January 29, 2014 5:20 am  

You run the camp for the whole league or just the age group you coach? 

how long do you run the camp?  One day, one weekend?

would like to hear more.

ReplyQuote
Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
January 29, 2014 6:21 am  

We set up the event for 1 week free to the public.We sent flyers to all the public schools,local stores and everywhere else we could.Ultimately Facebook was our best advertiser.We opened it for anyone with ages ranging 7-12.We had all our coaches on site to help out.We had some 5,6 year old sbut we let them run around for fun.This gave us a chance to look for future players,improve current players and let parents know if this is for them.Mon we had 25 kids and tues over 30.It is working out really well.I coach the mighty mite level but I am helping out with every age for the camp.We have our 1st practice for spring mon. Going from Camp right to practice is saving us alot of time on getting started.

ReplyQuote
mmarra82
(@mmarra82)
Copper
January 30, 2014 4:15 am  

Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
January 31, 2014 10:44 am  

We finish up our camp tonight.I am very happy to annouce it was a great success!!!25-30 kids came faithfully every night.As we run the camp I am prepping them for 1st practice mon.The God up above has been good to us because here in az its been 75 degrees all week.I was blessed to have 8 lineman return along with a few running backs and my back up qb.I have game ilm that I study so I dot repeat some mistakes I made last season.Been telling the kids I want Football Players.I only want kids who want to play Football.Football is a team sport and you better be a team playe or you cant play for me.They haveresponded well.On a good side note one kid that registered his 1st cousin is Dominique Rodgers Cromartie of the Denver Broncos.

ReplyQuote
Spartan74
(@spartan74)
Bronze
February 8, 2014 10:27 am  

We just finished our 1st week of camp and it went pretty good.We wound up getting 26 kids for spring which is awesome.I coach mighty mites so I had alot if first year players.Counting the camp and this first week we have had 10 days of practice. We installed 3 plays,and a halfway decent wedge.You cannot put enough value on returning players.It makes things so much easier.Thanks to all the coaches once again for the advice...

ReplyQuote
Share: