Sweep  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
October 15, 2014 1:38 pm  

Hey Coaches!

We are having an issue with our sweep this year and I believe that if we can get it off the ground then we will really be tough to stop.

Our toss play is good, average about 5/carry with it on the year.  We do find situations where we need to run other plays though....

How do you guys block sweep?

Our toss is good enough that I am considering sending both my C-Back and my B-back to the CB.  The OLB always takes a step towards toss and that should be enough to get outside but the CB has been coming up in previous weeks and blowing up our sweep.

I've thought about subbing a kid in at C to handle it but I don't have many options.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Coach Tut

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 15, 2014 3:45 pm  

Havent ran dw in a few years how ever when we did sweep was a 4-5 times a game kinda play

Ps wing...te...tackle...center blocked away from poa (down)
Psg pull and kicks first guy our pulls up looking outside in (could get a corner)
bsg pulls and leads through psg kick out
bst covers for bsg
bste attacks safety
b back fills for backside guard
bswing gets ball off short motion
qb reverses up the midline and hands ball off

Pretty generic. It was a big big play for us but it was a nice change of pace.

What I learned over the years is more counters/reverses and passes you show the softer they play. So maybe your sweep play is fine everything else may work. Ill referance something Michael shared with me...a baseball theory called...devils theory of ball parks

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
October 15, 2014 4:36 pm  

When inside the tackle runs  are working good the sweeps will work very well.You have to suck,em in too go out side.Jacks G,s perimeter triangfle reads are for real.

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
October 16, 2014 12:17 pm  

Thanks coaches for the replies.

My thing is..... I am familiar with the traditional ways of blocking the play... my problem is that the sweep is there, the teams I have been playing have these SUPERMAN corners and that one player seems to be busting what could be a big gain.

I will report back on my success but I am going to have the PSG pull and look for the OLB and send the C-Back AND B-Back to the corner.  I still have my QB toss it at the same time as toss and he is FAST so he gets out and leads the play as well.

We will see 🙂

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
October 16, 2014 12:47 pm  

Back that corner up with Power Pass...if he wants to play run first make him wrong 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
October 16, 2014 1:48 pm  

Back that corner up with Power Pass...if he wants to play run first make him wrong 🙂

No kidding.... I am coaching a sixth grade team this year and I literally don't have a single QB on my roster.  I have 26 KIDS!!!!  It is really quite amusing......  We run toss well though 🙂

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold
October 16, 2014 2:36 pm  

No kidding.... I am coaching a sixth grade team this year and I literally don't have a single QB on my roster.  I have 26 KIDS!!!!  It is really quite amusing......  We run toss well though 🙂

pitch pass

Helmet Decalshttp://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
October 16, 2014 2:44 pm  

pitch pass

We have been working on it for a couple weeks...... yet to run it in a game.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
October 16, 2014 4:12 pm  

Hey Coaches!

We are having an issue with our sweep this year and I believe that if we can get it off the ground then we will really be tough to stop.

Our toss play is good, average about 5/carry with it on the year.  We do find situations where we need to run other plays though....

How do you guys block sweep?

Our toss is good enough that I am considering sending both my C-Back and my B-back to the CB.  The OLB always takes a step towards toss and that should be enough to get outside but the CB has been coming up in previous weeks and blowing up our sweep.

I've thought about subbing a kid in at C to handle it but I don't have many options.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Pull your  G,s and reach block accross the line,fb to seal first ugly and G,s to lead/w qb. Also JJ,a quick sweep is a homerun play to the pull side.PM him.

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
October 16, 2014 7:20 pm  

I abandoned the standard Sweep (that looks very much like power) and went to a better version. I think Steve called it Shock and Awe...

I started with Ray 38 Sweep..... Both guards pull..... play side wing hooks the DE and MUST make his block... Both guards run the "QUESTION MARK" pull.... pull flat and get depth around the corner and around the block of the wing on the DE.....  QB and FB lead block as well with the Guards.... You should have about 4 blockers in front VERY quickly....

I wasn't happy with that.....

So I went to Ray 38 SUPER SWEEP.... Here is the blocking rules position by position....

QB-Spin and toss ball to motion wing (can gain depth a little bit into backfield but must spin quickly and toss quickly)
FB-Align slightly further back from the standard sniffer position... maybe 12" back from QB's tail.... Lead around corner
LWB-Deeper 1 step motion, catch toss and follow wave of blockers, cut up when you see the lane...
RWB-Big reach step to the right and get angle on DE and PIN him inside..... you MUST drive him inside into linemen or scraping backers

BSTE-Pizza block. Don't block anyone... run across field to where ball carrier will end up and decleat someone attempting to bring down runner
BST-CUT FIRST LINEMAN TO PLAYSIDE (usually a DT)
BSG-Pull flat then gain depth (question mark pull)
C-CUT MOP (man on play side)
PSG-Pull flat and gain depth (question mark pull)
PST-Pull flat and gain depth (question mark pull)
PSTE-CUT INSIDE MAN OVER PSG or PST (must be physical... if a 4 man front try and take out both if you can)

So as you can see this sweep gives you an extra blocker..... The PST.... And you are cutting/chopping everyone else on the line to cover for THREE pullers.... You should have a group of five lead blockers around the corner... if you're linemen are fast it's a helluva play.....

Here at 9:49 seconds in....

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
October 17, 2014 7:39 am  

Great stuff coach!

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 17, 2014 8:45 am  

So I went to Ray 38 SUPER SWEEP....

Love it! Very similar to Jack's Monster Sweep. Do you have any more clips? I'd like to get a better grasp on what your BSTE is doing.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 17, 2014 11:00 am  

I abandoned the standard Sweep (that looks very much like power) and went to a better version. I think Steve called it Shock and Awe...

I started with Ray 38 Sweep..... Both guards pull..... play side wing hooks the DE and MUST make his block... Both guards run the "QUESTION MARK" pull.... pull flat and get depth around the corner and around the block of the wing on the DE.....  QB and FB lead block as well with the Guards.... You should have about 4 blockers in front VERY quickly....

I wasn't happy with that.....

So I went to Ray 38 SUPER SWEEP.... Here is the blocking rules position by position....

QB-Spin and toss ball to motion wing (can gain depth a little bit into backfield but must spin quickly and toss quickly)
FB-Align slightly further back from the standard sniffer position... maybe 12" back from QB's tail.... Lead around corner
LWB-Deeper 1 step motion, catch toss and follow wave of blockers, cut up when you see the lane...
RWB-Big reach step to the right and get angle on DE and PIN him inside..... you MUST drive him inside into linemen or scraping backers

BSTE-Pizza block. Don't block anyone... run across field to where ball carrier will end up and decleat someone attempting to bring down runner
BST-CUT FIRST LINEMAN TO PLAYSIDE (usually a DT)
BSG-Pull flat then gain depth (question mark pull)
C-CUT MOP (man on play side)
PSG-Pull flat and gain depth (question mark pull)
PST-Pull flat and gain depth (question mark pull)
PSTE-CUT INSIDE MAN OVER PSG or PST (must be physical... if a 4 man front try and take out both if you can)

So as you can see this sweep gives you an extra blocker..... The PST.... And you are cutting/chopping everyone else on the line to cover for THREE pullers.... You should have a group of five lead blockers around the corner... if you're linemen are fast it's a helluva play.....

Here at 9:49 seconds in....

I make it at 9:36 of the video.  Wow, I think that's what Ted Seay described on Delphi's single wing, etc. forum as Steve's pulling everyone including the cheerleaders and peanut vendor thru the POA.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
October 17, 2014 11:13 am  

I make it at 9:36 of the video.  Wow, I think that's what Ted Seay described on Delphi's single wing, etc. forum as Steve's pulling everyone including the cheerleaders and peanut vendor thru the POA.

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 18, 2014 5:08 pm  

This is pressure, not suction, Michael.  You'd think you could find one of those cartoon gags where someone answers the door & is run over by a procession that starts with just a solicitor & escalates thru a motorcyclist, marching band, & finally circus elephants.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: