Notifications

Symposium?  

RSS

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 20, 2018 1:17 pm  

Evening Coaches,

Looking to find out what happened to the symposium. Did it get canned due to lack of interest, time, expense? I would assume organizing it can be a lot of work so maybe that was part of it. I am sure that a lot of DW coaches would love to see it come back and maybe some would be willing to put in time to help organize.

Look forward to everyone’s feedback.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
December 20, 2018 3:53 pm  

All of the above. It was a lot of work for a diminishing number of coaches. There was a core that attended but it’s hard to break even with 30-40 guys going. And experience showed that it had to be held at a location that was both accessible and had someone living nearby willing to coordinate. I’m not sure JJ didn’t lose money on the last one.

I loved going. Miss those guys. But every year fewer guys were there.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 20, 2018 4:11 pm  

Well if any of the DWingers are going to Orlando for USAFootball maybe we can meet up there. I’m pitching a family trip to the wife, funded by the IRS. With the caveat it’s in Orlando, that weekend, and I have 3 days to myself. She seems in so we’ll see what happens.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 20, 2018 11:49 pm  

The Symposiums were great.  Kudos to Jack & JJ, Kenny Mead and several others who really put in a lot of time & effort.  It was a LOT of work and perhaps a break-even endeavor (if that).  But as John said, there was less and less interest each year.  The Dallas and Frisco Symposiums were probably the best attended.  The Vegas Symposium was freezing cold and was the only place that I've ever been approached by a hooker.  (That I'm aware of.)  ???  The New Orleans Symposiums had weak attendance in its final year and killed it off.  I attended every one of them, gave clinics at all of them, met a lot of good coaches and really nice people.  Would love to do it again, but it's a bear to make it work financially.  Travel is expensive (whether flying or driving), add in hotel rooms, food, the cost of the symposium and you can spend $1000 in a hurry.  In addition, there's just not very many coaches that run the Double Wing, then are willing to attend to either present, or listen.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 20, 2018 11:51 pm  

Confirmed for February 21-28 in Orlando, Florida.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: