Notifications

[Sticky] The Doublewing Reference Guide (UPDATED)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 28, 2018 11:33 am  

Brian, when I talk to coaches, the bulk of my time is spent not in "What?" but in "How?"  I think when you and I spoke on the phone, the conversation went from "What to do" to "How to do."

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 28, 2018 11:39 am  

Still need to dig in a little more on the mentality and how I want to coach.

Although I want this thread to remain a Double Wing thread and not an aggression-development thread, I am still reminded of the rival org whose practice I attended that had issues and complaints about their own team's aggression and once I started teaching the physicality/aggression component, they began interfering and aborting the drills.  They clearly were not comfortable with teaching physicality, despite the fact that they complained they didn't have physicality on their team.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 28, 2018 12:06 pm  

I don’t think anyone would be upset with advice from you Dave. And while I agree that the how-to is far more important than the what-to, coaches can spend a ton of time deciding on the what-to which takes away time from learning the how-to and that’s really what I wanted to help rememdy with this post. With that said, your advice led me to create the Better Coach, Good Coach, Great Coach section that I agree will probably be the most important part of the entire post. Keep it coming. This only becomes better with feedback.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 28, 2018 12:39 pm  

I think the "how to" is the most difficult for coaches to learn.  Part of that is because so many already think they know "how to."  The other difficulty comes from coaches who believe that it's only about the talent they have and what that talent brings to the table.  Those coaches aren't teachers, but managers.  I was able to get a Master Class from Hugh Wyatt for more than a decade of watching him teach his system to my players.  Mind you, he was teaching them his system, not mine.  And I'll argue that his system is far more elaborate and complex than mine.  Yet, they were grasping his system quicker and more thoroughly than mine.  I started paying less attention to his scheme, and paying more attention to how he teaches.  So you can break it down into four components:

What to teach?  What is the scheme that you will teach to your team? 

Why to teach? Why am I teaching this?  (To "score points" or to "win games" is ambiguous.  A reason could be, "To run a scheme that is not QB-dependent."  Or, "To run a scheme that is equal parts Power and Deception."  Or, "To run an offensive scheme that mirrors the physicality of our defensive approach."  Have a reason for everything you say and do, as a teacher.

How to teach?  What is the best way to teach my players to implement this scheme?  How quickly can you get this up & running?  How to know the difference between what makes a play work, or not?

How to diagnose?  What are the adjustments to make, if the defensive is successful against what we are doing?  How do I learn to look for what a defense will give us?

So we will teach the nuts & bolts of the Double Wing offense; what it's designed to do and how it works.

We will teach them why it works, through examples given on the practice field and in the classroom.

And we will know not only the order of install, but how long the install will take and which chapters to introduce initially, and which chapters to go back to later on.  We will know which terminology to use so that players can learn faster and apply sooner.

Then through knowing the offense, we know how and where to diagnose if/when an opponent is able to slow us down.

These are the nuts & bolts of any successful scheme, not just the Double Wing.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 28, 2018 12:59 pm  

Dave now I have to reference a post within a post.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 28, 2018 1:13 pm  

Dave is there any media that you can recommend that has helped you become a better coach over the years. Unfortunately, intern/assistant positions are not always the easiest to manage for everyone. While I agree, playing in the mud under an experienced coach is second to none, I have to believe you have come across certain videos or books that have made an impact on you as a coach.

This goes for all coaches. I’d love to hear what resources you have crossed that have made you a better coach.

Again, appreciate all the feedback from the coaches here and I have a feeling this may turn into a document vice a post by the time it’s done.

-Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 28, 2018 2:05 pm  

Dave is there any media that you can recommend that has helped you become a better coach over the years.

There have been several.  But two that stand apart that really clued me in as to the detail and minutiae of how to teach and how plays work were "The Complete Baseball Handbook: Strategies and Techniques for Winning" by Walter Alston and Don Weiskopf and the two volume set of "Vince Lombardi on Football."  As a kid, I spent a great deal of time pouring over these two books.  Even though one is a baseball book, I was able to take a lot about coaching from it.  As a DWer, the ones you have already mentioned, Vallotton's "The Toss," Calande's drill manual and Wyatt's DVDs and literature.  Also, Jack Gregory's books & DVDs, as well as talking to and listening to every clinic that JJ Lawson ever gave at a symposium.  I'd think the Symposium DVDs would also be a great help, simply because there were so many different coaches discussing differing elements of the Double Wing.  Tim Murphy's stuff is good, but I'm an under-Center guy.  The information is out there.  Plenty of it.  But again, teaching is not "plug & play."  However, if you really learn about your subject, and talk to other coaches who also run it (just bouncing ideas back & forth over the phone works great), it accelerates your comprehension of the scheme.  My learning came from choosing this scheme a long time ago, and continuing to teach and reteach it over the years.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
January 4, 2019 11:09 am  

cannot recommend Vallotton's "THE TOSS" any HARDER!!!!

While this book is very basic, the way it explains the execution of CORE PLAYS is priceless in it's presentation.  It will shy you away from 100 play playbooks and endless formations.  It will have you more likely to call Power more than 85% of the time..... it will make you believe in how the DW moves the ball...

Oh and BDjackson.... This is a GREAT idea for this board and pointing beginners on where to get information... I learned all my base stuff from Steve and he's been an amazing mentor to me even through his writing.... I'm glad I get to even be among this list of great coaches....

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 6, 2019 9:45 am  

Can one of the Admins tell me why this thread hasn't become a sticky?  Brian did a great job of accumulating a lot of relevant information in one place.

--Dave

I think i made it into a sticky now, lemme know

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 17, 2019 4:15 am  

I think i made it into a sticky now, lemme know

Completely missed the fact that this got its own sticky. That's awesome.

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
March 24, 2020 12:16 pm  

Yes this being a sticky is a HUGE deal...... Just FYI with all this shelter in place going on I have been doing some updates to the manual for the DW/GW.... Still for sale and still cranking out ships.....

bignose liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
March 25, 2020 11:22 am  

@doublewingcoach do you send out the updates to those that have already purchased. I understand some things are complete rewrites, but was just curious. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: