Notifications

The MUFASA Drill  

RSS

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 25, 2019 3:24 am  

Good Morning Coaches,

So I am sure most of you reading this are wondering what the heck a MUFASA drill is. Well its something most of you are familiar with, its a simple Wedge Drill to help with beating submarining lineman. We use it as a part of our wedge progression once we are able to fit and run wedge on air to avoid getting submarined. While running the wedge have coaches toss bags at the feet of the lineman while ensuring they are keeping high knees to avoid getting cut. But this is less about the drill and more about the KEY as Coach Potter would put it.

While talking with Coach Potter last night, I mentioned that one of my kids came up to me at practice and asked if we were going to do the MUFASA drill and it took me a minute to register what he was even talking about. Well the night prior, while working with my lineman on how to keep high knees and trample the poor D-Lineman that were trying to submarine them, I used the Lion King as a reference.

Me: Who here has seen the Lion King
Players: Most raised there hands
Me: And who killed Mufasa, the wildebeest right?
One Kid: Actually it was Scar... (okay, he wasn't completely wrong)
Me: Well, Scar pushed him, but who trampled him?
Players: The wildebeest!
Me: Exactly, and you are the wildebeest, and those bags down there, that's Mufasa. Those submarining lineman, there Mufasa and you are the herd of Wildebeest. You stop for nothing, you run over and through everything until you get to the end zone.

I will do a separate post on this topic as a whole, but as coaches (and adults) we get caught up in either teaching things at to high a level or trying to KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). The problem is that KISS only works if what is simple is also relatable to the kids. If its simple to you, but a player has no reference or relatability to the way you are teaching it, is it really the most effective way to teach that player.

Probably Not.

But either way, I just thought I'd share my reference for teaching this drill as it seemed to go over pretty well and thought that some of you may be able to use it.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
October 25, 2019 5:41 am  

Thank you, Coach Brian. This is something I can use!

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 25, 2019 5:56 am  

Thank you, Coach Brian. This is something I can use!

No problem. Glad it could help. All my talks with Dave lately have really made me rethink the way I will be moving forward with coaching in the years to come. I'll be writing a post later today about the KEYS to coaching as Dave calls it, hopefully it will get a good conversation going.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
October 25, 2019 7:10 am  

Definitely putting that one in my toolbox. Thanks coach

ReplyQuote
Share: