Notifications
Clear all

Tim Murphy SGDW (is this the correct one?)

Page 1 / 2

flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hi coaches,

I'm looking to learn as much as I can about the SGDW and was wondering if this was the right resource from Tim Murphy ? In that it will teach drills, coaching points, how to install, the base plays, pretty much everything you need to know to successfully run it at the HS level? (Not that I'm coaching right now, but just to learn ) Also, any other resources that are available, I'm open to it. Thanks

https://www.coachtimmurphy.com/store/p17/SHOTGUN_WING_PLAYBOOK_PDF_%26_VIDEO_SET.html#/

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Why does anyone leave out the best feature of Markham-style double wing, and the best features of classic single- and double-wing, and marry what's left to shotgun with its best feature left out too?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Why does anyone leave out the best feature of Markham-style double wing, and the best features of classic single- and double-wing, and marry what's left to shotgun with its best feature left out too?

I have no idea what you just said.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Boug
 Boug
(@boug)
Copper

Flex, I have pretty much everything from Murphy and if I am correct the ones you linked are ones where he speaks at clinics, here he goes over the plays in detail and then shows many game film clips and will rewind the play to go over specific things plus he takes questions from other coaches.  The ones that are sold from Championship Productions are basically him standing in front of a white board drawing up the play and then showing practice cut ups of the play being run.  These are not bad and you can get the info you want but I like the clinic ones better as I think you get more detailed info from them. 
Now when I purchased the vids from his site there were separate ones I purchased, one was specific for Oline and blocking progressions, one was specific for RB's and weight training and then the inside run, outside run, counters, play action passing etc. I did not do this specific one for $199 but if it has all the stuff in for his old gun style DW then they are well worth it.  Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I have no idea what you just said.

--Dave

I ran that comment thru my Goodman Translator.

I then had to reboot my computer.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

I ran that comment thru my Goodman Translator.

I then had to reboot my computer.

I think he might be alluding to the extra blocker you get with the QB leading in the double wing and the BB in the single wing.  Why run that type of offense with a QB who hands the ball on power plays?  That's my guess.

I had to run the Murphy Shotgun Double Wing 5 seasons ago because that's what the high school varsity coach mandated.  It's a good offense.  You get split flow action because the QB can also keep and run to the opposite side from the RB. 

I do think the double wing is a much better offense because it is symmetrical and you can run every play's mirror opposite.  I think the major advantages to the single wing is it's simplicity in coaching and it's flexibility and forgiveness in personnel.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I think he might be alluding to the extra blocker you get with the QB leading in the double wing and the BB in the single wing.  Why run that type of offense with a QB who hands the ball on power plays?  That's my guess.

You guessed correctly.  I meant my post to be the start of a discussion of these systems, didn't expect everyone to figure out exactly what I meant from just that.

But there's still another thing you get with a QB under center in a Markham-style double wing: You hide the ball better.  If your QB tosses the ball, you reveal where the ball is but you gain a blocker; take your choice, they both seem better than shotgun double wing or shotgun wing T.

Looking at the sample diagram in the book solicitation, the formation's almost exactly a balanced-line single wing.  However, the player's going to be getting the snap flat-footed and handing off, because there's no way the halfback's going to be running onto the snap from as wide as he's lined up.

Or you could go to a regular shotgun formation with a passing orientation instead of everybody in tight.

Or short punt if you put your snapper's head between his legs and lead the deep back with the snap.

It's like almost any change you could make to shotgun double wing or shotgun wing T would be an improvement!

Could it be that Tim Murphy is just unfamiliar with single wing and the thrown-snap double wing systems of yore?  ???

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

didn't expect everyone to figure out exactly what I meant from just that.

And you were right.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Could it be that Tim Murphy is just unfamiliar with single wing and the thrown-snap double wing systems of yore?  ???

Tim Murphy is a great coach who has coached a lot of great athletes at a high level.  He could win using any of the systems in question and has.  I am sure he is familiar with all those offenses.

I don't think his offense is necessarily the best choice for youth football or for teams with less talented lineman.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have just about every bit of material that Coach Murphy has offered for sale.  He's outstanding and is the expert at what he does.  That being said, I'll agree that it's not the best option out there for youth football.  But the dude can flat-out coach the game as good as anyone and does not have a coaching weakness.  From XOscheme, fundamentals, strength, he is as good as there is.  And if Coach Murphy is going to run your youth football team, then by all means, let him do it. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
yoshi football
(@yoshi-football)
Copper

Yes exactly.  That why he never have success.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Bob Goodman, you seem like you know exactly what you're talking about with all those systems whereas, I on the otherhand, am clueless lol

In a perfect world, I think DTDW or UC Wing-T is the way I'd go but we live in a world where you got to be in shotgun and sell it to the kids/parents...

For what it's worth, I'm not even coaching right now, I just want to learn and be ready should an opportunity ever present itself. And the learning is also intended to be ran at high school level

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

You guessed correctly.

After 10 years of reading your posts on Dumcoach, I am learning to speak Goodmanese!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

In a perfect world, I think DTDW or UC Wing-T is the way I'd go but we live in a world where you got to be in shotgun and sell it to the kids/parents...

Then I'm at a loss, because I was considering it only in terms of football, not kewlness.

Reminds me of Hugh Wyatt's list of the drawbacks to the Wyatt Wildcat: If you think the UC DTDW is is a funny looking thing to the parents, then the Wildcat would look even weirder.  Of course that was before "wildcat" was on everyone's lips, and now I suppose that sort of thing is officially kewl.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In a perfect world, I think DTDW or UC Wing-T is the way I'd go but we live in a world where you got to be in shotgun and sell it to the kids/parents.

Become a better salesman.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: