Notifications

Trouble with 10 man front defense  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
December 2, 2019 4:09 pm  

This is the first year for us running the Double Wing. We had huge problems with defenses with 10 men on the line. Unfortunately every team (8 of them) did this to us and we struggled. Our best play was the 45 and 24 reverse. How do you adjust to a 10 man front?

bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
December 2, 2019 5:17 pm  

The defense in the photo kinda looks like this to me:

............................F

....C...B...E.....T..B..B...T.....E....B...C
..............O..O..O..X..O..O..O
.............L............Q.............R
...........................F

I think it is a 4-4 look with both inside LBs blitzing into the A-gaps.  It also appears that your FB is 4-5 yards deep. Too deep! Move him up to almost touching the QB's butt (sniffer position).
I'd also have my Wings squared up more, yours look like they are at 90 degrees to the LOS.

With the DE's out wide, my first thought is to block the entire front side block gap/down and cut everyone: Rt. Tackle cuts the 3 tech, R.Guard cuts the right A-gap blitzer, C-blocks the left A gap blitzer.
L. Guard will pull and lead thru the far C-gap as usual on Power. I'd keep the left Tackle and TE home to cut the 3 tech and protect from run thru.  R. TE steps inside and looks to block the first man showing to the onside.
FB kicks out the DE. R. Wing turns out on the OLB ( tunnel-turn out block). QB tosses and leads thru. The play side corner isn't going to make too many plays, the QB . may end up blocking the deep safety.

Alternative 2: If the DE moves inside have the Wing and TE double him down (Window-Wing Down block) and have the FB kick out the OLB. Everyone else is the same. Wider Power.

Alternative 3: Blast play. This would have the interior stay the same as above, cutting the inside gaps.
The TE turns out on the DE. The Wing steps back and inserts into the C-gap along with the FB- a double lead thru. The QB pitches the ball to the motion wing as usual, and the wing runs right up the FB's lead block. If the QB can toss and lead thru, this play should roar. If he can't he can always handoff and then try to stalk the right side OLB.

Silent count wedge may be good a couple of times to punish those A gappers who are standing up. Fire out and hit them in the shins.

Finally, going unbalanced  is a possibility, but it may cause as many problems as it it solves, depending on your kids.

Tongue in cheek, I'd like to see if the tiny corner can cover your L. Wing on a fade.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 2, 2019 5:48 pm  

It also appears that your FB is 4-5 yards deep.

That's not a Fullback.  It's a Tailback.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 2, 2019 5:56 pm  

Our best play was the 45 and 24 reverse.

--What's a 45 and 24 reverse?

How do you adjust to a 10 man front?

--Dunno.  It's not the front; it's what they do with their front.  What are they doing?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 2, 2019 6:01 pm  

That's not a Fullback.  It's a Tailback.

--Dave

Agreed FB should be able to Tickle the QB's Butt! 

Also have to ask about the Positioning of the WB.  Is he really supposed to be 90 degrees to the LOS? 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 2, 2019 6:02 pm  

Alternative 3: Blast play. This would have the interior stay the same as above, cutting the inside gaps.
The TE turns out on the DE. The Wing steps back and inserts into the C-gap along with the FB- a double lead thru. The QB pitches the ball to the motion wing as usual, and the wing runs right up the FB's lead block. If the QB can toss and lead thru, this play should roar.

Agreed.  If you can't run Blast against this front, then you're not good at running Blast.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 2, 2019 6:04 pm  

Agreed FB should be able to Tickle the QB's Butt!

--Wedge would be amazing against this front.

Also have to ask about the Positioning of the WB.  Is he really supposed to be 90 degrees to the LOS?

--I see that all the time, but I've never understood it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 2, 2019 6:23 pm  

Move the FB to 3.5 yards, Adjust the WB to a 45 degree angle.

One of the Great Attributes of the Winged T and Double Wing is the natural ability to Hide the ball from the defense.  Part of the Hiding is to ensure they cant see the ball and you don't show it to them. 

at 3.5 yards the FB hits his assignment faster than the D can react, as a result, they have no choice but to attack the FB. When one or the Other WB crosses behind the LOS at the point where the FB was, the Defense has but a brief second to adjust.  If the QB doesn't Stand Straight up and Show the Defense the ball, if the FB maintains a Low Pad Level, and the WB carries out his Fake (s).  Only the most disciplined defense has an opportunity to defend every play. 

These offenses can hit at least 3 points along he LOS every play. 

That's the beauty of the Motion and Misdirection every play. 

If you add in the option (doesn't have to be Triple) and play action pass it becomes almost impossible to defend. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
December 2, 2019 7:45 pm  

This is the first year for us running the Double Wing. We had huge problems with defenses with 10 men on the line. Unfortunately every team (8 of them) did this to us and we struggled. Our best play was the 45 and 24 reverse. How do you adjust to a 10 man front?

On the 24 and 45 Reverses, did you give the ball to the FB first, who then gave it to the Wingback?

Against the front you mention, the first thing that popped into my head was a blast play with the TE blocking out. Here's a great example from Coach Brisson on the Blast Play and the reverse off of it.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 3, 2019 2:47 am  

I think power with "tunnel" call i think vallaton called it would gash this set up

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
December 3, 2019 3:18 am  

I think power with "tunnel" call i think vallaton called it would gash this set up

I am using the material from Vallatton and we use tunnel when we have the DE outside like this. The biggest problem is when the offside guard and tackle pull, the defense is coming in too clean and too fast from where the guard and tackle just vacated.

ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
December 3, 2019 3:21 am  

On the 24 and 45 Reverses, did you give the ball to the FB first, who then gave it to the Wingback?

-On the reverse the offplay wing goes in motion and recieves the toss and hands it to the playside wing coming back across.

Against the front you mention, the first thing that popped into my head was a blast play with the TE blocking out. Here's a great example from Coach Brisson on the Blast Play and the reverse off of it.

br>

-Our reverse is run exactly like the video you shared. We never tried the "Blast".

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
December 3, 2019 3:28 am  

Wedge! Wedge! Wedge! The middle is standing straight up! 

If you have Trap installed, run it.  If you don't, put it in.

Power and Blast with no pullers. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 3, 2019 3:35 am  

I am using the material from Vallaton and we use tunnel when we have the DE outside like this. The biggest problem is when the offside guard and tackle pull, the defense is coming in too clean and too fast from where the guard and tackle just vacated.

Ahh youre getting tackled from the backside more than at poa when you run power?

Might be a technical issue more than alignment issue.

Bignose and company can probably elaborate more on this.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
December 3, 2019 3:40 am  

Wedge! Wedge! Wedge! The middle is standing straight up! 

- Wedge would give us positive yards

If you have Trap installed, run it.  If you don't, put it in.

- I did not use a trap play, I will look into that one, thanks

Power and Blast with no pullers.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: