Notifications

We're 4-2 and rolling along, THANKS COACHES  

RSS

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 18, 2018 5:46 am  

So as some of you may remember, roughly 4 weeks ago I was on this forum doubting just about everything there was to doubt about football; and all I got was positive feedback and help. So to everyone that helped screw my head back on and trust myself, thank you. Over the last four games we have scored 16 touchdowns (4 per game), and while we don't keep stats (probably should), I would guess we are averaging over 200+ yards per game starting from the 35 yard line. We've put the ball on the ground twice (lost one), had 2 turnovers on downs, in addition to giving up 0 tackles for negative yards. In comparison to the first two games its like night and day. We were running beast along with our DW plays the first two games because we hadn't fully committed to the DW as the main package. And while it did save me when our QB went down we are definitely a much better team staying in DTDW for 98% of the game; we like to spread the WB's and run streaks to open the game. Works great at the 7-8 level.

Overall, the one thing I have noticed about this offense is its ability to get first downs. I'm sure part of this is attributed to having coaches that teach and rep blocking styles and responsibilities and any good team can get first downs. But the difference is that we are okay with first downs, we want that big play but mentally we know were running 10-15 plays a drive, were ready; but is the defense. I love when kids/parents/coaches on the opposing team get all excited when power goes for 4-5 yards, or when wedge gets tackled for 3-4 (we typically average 5+ because of the motion), because that's what I want. Eventually the defense is going to get tired of getting beat up and having there coach yell and get frustrated and that is typically when that big play happens. I mean hell, sometimes I lose sight of the ball or fall for fakes from the sidelines. And I chose to run the offense, I know what's coming. After six weeks, I would say we are probably one of the most dominant offenses in our league at this age group; defense is another story. Not because we are put up the most points, or score on sweeps every play (a little salty, because this still kills us) but because I believe fundamentally we are the soundest team there is. We don't typically turn the ball over, our snaps are fast, our plays hit hard and I think the kids really believe in what we are doing. But again that's necessary no matter the system. At the end of the day, we can control the game with the ball in our hands running the way we do. And the one thing I've noticed playing these other teams is, when fast and flashy goes wrong, or those fundamentals start to break down, things typically go very wrong. And that's why I like this offense so much, it really boils down to the coach trusting in fundamentals, ball control, and true smash mouth style of play in all facets. WERE COMING, CAN YOU STOP ME.

So to not keep dragging this out, I really just wanted to say thanks to the coaches that reached out and helped talk me down from the ledge and kept me focused. The last 4 games are probably very different if this forum and you sexy coaches were not available as a resource. Hopefully in two weeks I will be taking about our 6-2 finish, but first we go to focus on 5-2.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 18, 2018 6:24 am  

So as some of you may remember, roughly 4 weeks ago I was on this forum doubting just about everything there was to doubt about football; and all I got was positive feedback and help.

And people complain that new members are afraid to ask questions... ::)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 18, 2018 6:30 am  

Its the answers they're really afraid of. Not the question.

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
October 18, 2018 6:31 am  

Sexy coaches! Nice!

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
October 18, 2018 10:52 am  

Overall, the one thing I have noticed about this offense is its ability to get first downs. I'm sure part of this is attributed to having coaches that teach and rep blocking styles and responsibilities and any good team can get first downs. But the difference is that we are okay with first downs, we want that big play but mentally we know were running 10-15 plays a drive, were ready; but is the defense

Coach the NEXT thing to focus on with the DW is completely eliminating penalties and costly mistakes that kill drives....

I don't think it's talked about enough in this section regarding the DW specifically....  A DW team NEEDS to keep a CONSTANT four downs to get TEN YARDS mentality.... If you start your drive with a holding call and go 1st and 20.... You are probably going to give the ball back to the defense.  If you jump and false start, same thing....  I consistently keep "RAY NO PLAY" in my pocket for a few reasons.  If I start ANY DRIVE with a penalty and I have to go more than 10 yards to get a first down, you can GUARANTEE that a Ray NO play is coming....

Because as long as I have a four downs and 10 yards to go, or 3 downs and 6 yards to go.  or 1 down and 2 yards to go... I am keeping the drive alive and we will keep marching....

So what I try and tell other coaches to make their DW more effective is to completely look to eliminate penalties on your team.... I never go on two ever..... I drill "holding free" blocking constantly... We rep our cadence.  We rep our No Play so that nobody moves besides the Defense.  When you run the DW and you average less than 1 penalty per game, you become almost unstoppable...

ReplyQuote
Share: