Notifications

Working with the Center  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze
June 30, 2020 4:05 pm  

I am sure it would be tough for the younger ages, but has anyone used this snap technique with 1 hand? I see that sometimes from pistol teams.

Put your middle finger on the seem with only the point of the ball on the ground. It seems to get the center in a slightly higher stance and he can see better.  Never used the 1 hand in a game but we did use the 2 hand dead snap for double wing when I was coaching different team.

Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
June 30, 2020 4:43 pm  

@majortom

That’s how I teach it.  

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
June 30, 2020 6:40 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

@majortom

That’s how I teach it.  

Same here.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 30, 2020 10:23 pm  
Posted by: @youth-coach

Bob:   See the Picture, Be The Picture!   Stop over analyzing.

I would be the picture only if I relied on the QB's positioning like DP's to get a jump on getting out of the puller's way.  Instead I've wanted ball security first, which includes making sure the QB's close up and has lots of give in the elbows.  I've coached in both wrists-together (dihedral) and thumbs-together systems, but when it was thumbs together, it was always with them overlapping.  The hands then look close to the way some teach pass receivers "noose".

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 1, 2020 9:48 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

I would be the picture only if I relied on the QB's positioning like DP's to get a jump on getting out of the puller's way.  Instead I've wanted ball security first, which includes making sure the QB's close up and has lots of give in the elbows.  I've coached in both wrists-together (dihedral) and thumbs-together systems, but when it was thumbs together, it was always with them overlapping.  The hands then look close to the way some teach pass receivers "noose".

I just have to ask one question.  With all the consternation and doubt.  With all the over analyzing and what ifs.  With all the addressing and readdressing.....How do you manage to get any work accomplished?  If you don't care for the example given then don't do it.   It really is that simple.  Do what you know and make it successful.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 1, 2020 10:10 am  

I just have to ask one question.  With all the consternation and doubt.  With all the over analyzing and what ifs.  With all the addressing and readdressing.....How do you manage to get any work accomplished?  If you don't care for the example given then don't do it.   It really is that simple.  Do what you know and make it successful.  

Last time I checked, this was still DumCoach.

And the subject was "Working with the Center".

Your telling me to be the picture seems to advocate doing it that way, and I'm pointing out the drawbacks.  Why is that any different from any other discussion here?  It's not like we have a lot of traffic right now.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 1, 2020 10:11 am  

We dead/wishbone snap everything for all ages. It's just efficient. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
July 1, 2020 11:20 am  

Greetings Coaches...

Last night we met w/ our returners, messed around with the kids for a while.  We're moving our backs around and wanted to walk them thru the Buck and Belly steps.  We put our returning Guard under Center to act as qb, since we don't have a qb returning...  I've always used the traditional snap... but wanted to try this new (to me) Coach Wyatt / Southerland / Dead Snap thingy....  the kid under center - never having taken a snap in his life.... it worked like a charm, not even a bobble.   The kid snapping the ball, no issues at all!   

I'm sold.  More importantly, so is my HC.  

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 1, 2020 1:04 pm  

but when it was thumbs together, it was always with them overlapping.  

What's the advantage to overlapping the thumbs?  Sincere question.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 1, 2020 1:06 pm  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

wishbone snap

Please explain.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 1, 2020 1:10 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

Greetings Coaches...

Last night we met w/ our returners, messed around with the kids for a while.  We're moving our backs around and wanted to walk them thru the Buck and Belly steps.  We put our returning Guard under Center to act as qb, since we don't have a qb returning...  I've always used the traditional snap... but wanted to try this new (to me) Coach Wyatt / Southerland / Dead Snap thingy....  the kid under center - never having taken a snap in his life.... it worked like a charm, not even a bobble.   The kid snapping the ball, no issues at all!   

I'm sold.  More importantly, so is my HC.  

Cool.  One "challenge" every year is the center's grip in rain/snow/mud.  I am a firm believer in Cutter gloves for the C. In fact, I usually buy a pair ($40) each season. I try to get them to use the gloves in practice so that it's "normal" to wear the gloves. Then, if the ball is wet, the C is used to wearing gloves.  Not as effective with the young players because hand sizes are so different. Also, they lack fine muscle control, so a wearing a cutter glove to them is like wearing an oven mitt.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 1, 2020 11:03 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

but when it was thumbs together, it was always with them overlapping.  

What's the advantage to overlapping the thumbs?  Sincere question.

1. With thumbs side by side, you can barely feel them.  With them overlapping, you easily feel them.  (Greater innervation on the palm side of the thumbs.)  When your hands are under center you can't see them, so feel gives you more assurance you have them positioned properly.
  2. If you coach the snapper to end the snap with a point of the ball angled up, that point goes into the "noose".  That doesn't exist when the thumbs are side by side.  This works with the QB facing either straight on or sidesaddle.
  3. You're not going to separate your thumbs prematurely and let the ball squirt thru that gap if your thumbs interlock.
This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 2, 2020 10:07 am  

@bob-goodman

Thanks Bob.  Food for thought.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 2, 2020 1:46 pm  

wishbone snap

Please explain.

Look at the center. I don't know what else to call this other than "wishbone snap" bc of this. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 2, 2020 4:14 pm  

wishbone snap

Please explain.

Look at the center. I don't know what else to call this other than "wishbone snap" bc of this. 

I don't either, but it needs a better name, and thanks a lot for the video.

If I'm seeing it right, the quarterback's taking the snap like fielding a ground ball.  His fingers are pointing down, and the snapper is leaving the ball fairly low and point down.

The advantage I see is that the QB is scooping the ball up, so might be less likely to drop it.  The disadvantage I see is that he needs to scoop the ball up.  The trade might be worthwhile, might not, depending on the abilities of the players and what the QB's immediately subsequent moves need to be.

In most C-QB exchanges, the snapper does most of the work getting the ball up into where the QB would like; in this one it's the QB himself who has to do most of that job.  And yet the snapper's using 2 hands with pendulum action much as for a long snap.  In the examples shown, he's not stepping with the snap; instead the snap motion loads his hips, and he has to spring back up.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: