Notifications
Clear all

X-men blocking?

festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

I think I’ve found all the relevant threads buried on the forum referencing Dave’s x-men blocking (like this one). I’m pretty sure I’ve got a good handle on it, but just curious if there’s any video available on people using it, specifically at the youth (12u) levels.  Going into my second season this fall with double wing, and I want to teach blocking this way.  

thanks!

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Same here. Had a 2-3 hour chat with Dave about it and I'm comfortable with where I'm going with it. I'm a proponent of active feet and active hands while blocking, so I figure "active elbows" would work the same. We're essentially going to try to beat the starch out of defenders with our elbows. If you've got your guy under control, keep the "X". If he's trying to move, spin or otherwise compromise your leverage, start striking fast and hard. Planning on using our "split the crotch with the near foot" technique that we use with tackling. Only difference is the X fit instead of near shoulder. I'll try to document it this season and share my successes/failures. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

If he's trying to move, spin or otherwise compromise your leverage, start striking fast and hard

Are you saying elbow strikes or revert to palm?  Just trying to make sure I'm following you here.  

I also agree it's a good logical connection to the "split the crotch with the near foot" teach.  I generally teach blocking and tackling the same... the only difference is you wrap up when you tackle.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @festivus15
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

If he's trying to move, spin or otherwise compromise your leverage, start striking fast and hard

Are you saying elbow strikes or revert to palm?  Just trying to make sure I'm following you here.  

I also agree it's a good logical connection to the "split the crotch with the near foot" teach.  I generally teach blocking and tackling the same... the only difference is you wrap up when you tackle.

Elbow strikes. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: