Clear all

4-2-5 for Dummies

Page 1 / 4

No3Putts
(@no3putts)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hi All,

Looks like I'm going to be a DC for an AYFL cadet level team this year, and the header wants to run a 4-2-5. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with it and he's only really got concepts in his head. (Trust me...I know.)

Anyhow, I can't work that way. The problem I'm finding is much of the material I can find is way beyond my level of understanding defensive concepts and probably overkill for a 10/11 year old team. Also, I'm new to AYFL so I'm not really sure what to expect and be prepared for from the offenses we'll face.

So, unless someone already has a youth 4-2-5 manual they'd like to share, I have a few questions.

1. Run vs. Coverage Strength:
My understading is we would key a run strength and set our T/N and S/W based on that strength. We're not planning on flipping ends. So we'll have  7/3 on strong and 1/5 on the weak. However, the coverage call may often times differ from run strength. Header was considering just going with one call and simplifying it to Wide side/QB throwing arm. Will this get us into trouble? is the split strength concept overkill for this age group?

2. Adjustments in the box:

Looking for advice on 1. Two TE sets, Overload (do we consider single wing just like overload), No TE/Spread.

3. Coverages: Looks like cover 3 is the easiest fit, but wanted thoughts on what if any we should install and what keys/actions would take us out of cover 3.

4. Blitzes: Can't seem to find much material on blitzing packages. Any suggestions?

I'm sure there is more, but I'm starting here.

Thanks,

No3's

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Serious Question.  How old is a CADET team? 
Second Serious Question.  How much Spread or Passing do you expect to face?

Why?  At its most basic  4-2-5 is nothing more than a Nickel (Passing) Package from a 4-3 set.  In theory a Spread team uses a basic Mantra to determine plays.  6 or less in the Box Run, 6 or more Pass.  The 4-2-5 puts them on the cusp of either.  The advantage is the Offense doesnt see the 7th defender drop down to the Box until its snapped.  However, its primary use is defending against the Passing game.  Hence the questions.

Are you heading into overkill? 

Dusty

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
No3Putts
(@no3putts)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Cadet = 10 O/L @ 94 pounds (89+5)
              9U @ 114

Now I can't speak to all over the country, but you can get some damn fine athletes at 10 that are under 89 pounds.

As to how much spread or passing I expect, that's why I asked the question because I'm new to AYFL.

ReplyQuote
lionscoach
(@lionscoach)
Bronze

I will be running a simple 4-2-5 at the freshman level this year. PM me if you want and I will send you my notes/playbook. The coverages and blitzes are very simple.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Calende posted this a while back

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHdATiq7es5ajZUWTRzNXpVVmc/view?usp=docslist_api

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Zach et al.

Such is the reason for the questions.  Show me a 10 U QB who can toss the rock 30 yards from a 5 step drop.  Show me the same kid who can drop the ball inside a 5 yard square!  Then show me the kid who will get in that 5 yard square at the right time to catch it! Yet, using inverted coverage, I bet my Safeties are there to make the INT or knock it down!

Folks need to stop implying College and High School ability and concepts on 10,11, 12, or 13 year olds!  A 6'2" Junior has 4 years experience on a 5'9" 7th grader!  Not withstanding the assistance of Mother Nature! 

So a 4-2-5 at the 10 year old level is a bit much,from a responsibility standpoint, in this old farts opinion.  A Split 4-4 is another story!

😉   

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Shad

So everyone should run gam then? Lol

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Straight Line or Face Melter!  Geez Zach! 

😉 😛

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Straight Line or Face Melter!  Geez Zach! 

😉 😛

Wait, I thought Face Melter was an offense.  😛

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Best youth offense is the double wing...everyone knows that

ReplyQuote
No3Putts
(@no3putts)
Bronze
Topic starter  

In reviewing further materials and some related discussions around man vs. zone at the youth level, i think we're leaning towards rolling out with cover 1 press man. Question is, what considerations would dictate or benefit adding a zone coverage and would base cover 3 satisfy or would we benefit more from robber/other?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I go back to my question regarding how much run vs pass you expect to see.  If I expect to see more run by a wide percentage, I personally would start in Zone.  The next question is can you find enough Cover Guys to play Press and be successful? 

Zone keeps kids from getting run off of running of plays.  I am not saying dont teach Man Coverages but, at the 8 year old level (according to his information),  I want to keep as many kids as I can playing the Run.

JMHO 

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

At age 10, "With a 4-2-5 mandate" you might consider running JJ Lawson's 33 Stack out of his 42 alignment.

Ask your HC if he wants you to run a defense or run an alignment.  Most legit defense's have multiple alignments.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Been running man at youth for 10 years...never got run off once...least imo

Wr's stalk...if you teach them to "read eyes" they won't get run off. At the 10/11 yr old level

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: