Notifications
Clear all

44 split vs split 6

Page 3 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @jetscoach

How hard is it to teach zone coverage to youngsters?

I generally hate questions like this, because the assumption is that it's the scheme that makes it difficult for kids to learn, when in fact it's the teacher.  If you know what you're doing and how to teach a scheme, you will see positive results.  If you don't know what you're doing or how to teach a scheme, you will see less than positive results.  Too many guys make the assumption that the challenge to learning is either the material or the players, when it is in fact, the coach.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @jetscoach

How hard is it to teach zone coverage to youngsters?

I generally hate questions like this, because the assumption is that it's the scheme that makes it difficult for kids to learn, when in fact it's the teacher.  If you know what you're doing and how to teach a scheme, you will see positive results.  If you don't know what you're doing or how to teach a scheme, you will see less than positive results.  Too many guys make the assumption that the challenge to learning is either the material or the players, when it is in fact, the coach.

--Dave

Agree. There are a few things that I can't seem to teach on the defensive side of the ball regardless of the scheme. I can't teach force defenders not to chase play away. I can't teach CBs to play 5 yards behind the deepest receiver. I can't teach contain defenders to never let a runner outside of them. It's forced me to re-evaluate the word "teach". They know that I want them to do these things, but I think they are convinced that their plan is better. 

So for me, teaching zone coverage to youth players is every bit as hard as teaching man coverage. Darned near impossible.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: