Notifications
Clear all

9 tech DE in Miami 4-3

Page 1 / 2

jsrg1874
(@jsrg1874)
Copper
Topic starter  

Question for you guys.  How do you deal with a TE blocking out on 9 tech, OT and OG double the 3 tech to Mike, backside OG pulls and leads through big C gap hole with FB. 

My question for those with experience with a 9 and 3 strong, how do you deal with that gaping C gap?  Play the DE in 7 and have him shoot C gap?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jsrg
Jacob Sinner

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Question for you guys.  How do you deal with a TE blocking out on 9 tech, OT and OG double the 3 tech to Mike, backside OG pulls and leads through big C gap hole with FB. 

My question for those with experience with a 9 and 3 strong, how do you deal with that gaping C gap?  Play the DE in 7 and have him shoot C gap?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jsrg
Jacob Sinner

I will be interested to see what others say, but from what  I see, if you are in that defense, the 9 tech is not going to be blocked as a way of life by the te. the mike will be probably closer to the 3 and the will stack  over the weakside guard. You wont get the mike with that double team and secure a decent double team on three. And then wlb will be shoot back side a gap or over the top of mike pending how they play the safeties and corners.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

Jsrg
Jacob Sinner

You're safeties have to be run first defenders in a 4-3 defense. they should be reading the guards and the playside safety needs to fill hard and fast outside of the OLB. The backside safety flows downhill looking for counter, boot, reverse. All three LB's need to be fast flowing to the ball. If your Sam LB sees the power play coming, he needs to take on the blocking with his outside shoulder and force the play to bounce out to the safety.

You're three technique can't give ground against the combo block and needs to start taking out the guards outside leg if he is giving ground.

If you still can't stop this play, then yes move down to a 7 technique but don't have him shoot the gap. Have him hold up the TE and control his gap (this helps give safeties more time to react to play action). Nothing else would change on this defense, still bouncing it to the safety, still fast flowing the LBs.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

One more thing. Make sure your 9 technique is getting his hands on the TE from the snap of the ball and trying to condense the size of C gap. A lot of these kids are bad for trying to run around the TE into the backfield. When they do that, the make the C gap that your LB is trying to play massive.

So to sum up:

1. Condense C gap with your 9 technique
2. Spill the play to your safeties
3. Don't lose ground on the combo block
4. If nothing else works, put your DE in the C gap.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

One more thing. Make sure your 9 technique is getting his hands on the TE from the snap of the ball and trying to condense the size of C gap. A lot of these kids are bad for trying to run around the TE into the backfield. When they do that, the make the C gap that your LB is trying to play massive.

So to sum up:

1. Condense C gap with your 9 technique
2. Spill the play to your safeties
3. Don't lose ground on the combo block
4. If nothing else works, put your DE in the C gap.

coach, if you were a 9 tech SYSTEM GUY? how would you fix it?

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

coach, if you were a 9 tech SYSTEM GUY? how would you fix it?

Coach, we're basically a 4-3 under team. So we always play with a 9 to the strong side. Answers 1-3 are what I would do to stop this play with a 9 technique.

Just like how your 5 technique on the weak side has to get hands on the tackle and help condense B gap, the 9 technique has to do the same to C gap on the other side.

It's just playing playing secondary contain. Any corner can stand on the sideline and say "I turned the play back inside, Coach. I did my job". But unless the corner is setting a firm edge and trying to condense the size of the alley, he's really helping no one.

I normally give my corners a landmark for this. If they set the edge on or inside of the numbers and the play cuts inside, they did their job. If they set the edge outside of the numbers and the play cuts back inside, it was their fault. 

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

you have a 1 or shade and a 9 to the strongside? with a te?

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

you have a 1 or shade and a 9 to the strongside? with a te?

We play a shade a 5 and a 9 to the strong side. Backside, we have a mountain of a man, so we play him in a 2. Then we have a 5 on the weak tackle.

So it's a 4-3 under/5-2 eagle look, expect with a 2 tech weak side.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

We play a shade a 5 and a 9 to the strong side. Backside, we have a mountain of a man, so we play him in a 2. Then we have a 5 on the weak tackle.

So it's a 4-3 under/5-2 eagle look, expect with a 2 tech weak side.

when i saw 9 tech, I think 9 tech de, 3 point stance. what you are talking about  is more of a 50 defense.
and in the 4-3? you would have to have a 3 technique strong to have the 9.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

when i saw 9 tech, I think 9 tech de, 3 point stance. what you are talking about  is more of a 50 defense.
and in the 4-3? you would have to have a 3 technique strong to have the 9.

I wouldn't, but the way you play it remains the same. Yes, in our 50 front the DE does play with his hand down too.

I grew up playing in a 4-3 cover 4 defense. Everything I recommended works well against power. The problem is most likely that his DE is running around the TE, instead of engaging, and that's opening up a huge C gap.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

I wouldn't, but the way you play it remains the same. Yes, in our 50 front the DE does play with his hand down too.

I grew up playing in a 4-3 cover 4 defense. Everything I recommended works well against power. The problem is most likely that his DE is running around the TE, instead of engaging, and that's opening up a huge C gap.

Or his 9 tech cant play in space. Which I see a ton of. badly place players.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

TT

In the Miami 4-3 the 9 tech is down & plays through the V of the TE's neck. Matt has it exactly right the SS is a real plugger. Remember the U always great DE's & a killer 3 tech. They also had LB's who flew & played downhill. I love the scheme, unfortunately I just never had enough of those type guys. They played C2 squat behind it & dared you to beat them. Jimmy was convinced that his Sam could play inside out & didn't have to be great as long as Mike & the 3 were. Hard to argue with their success.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

TT

In the Miami 4-3 the 9 tech is down & plays through the V of the TE's neck. Matt has it exactly right the SS is a real plugger. Remember the U always great DE's & a killer 3 tech. They also had LB's who flew & played downhill. I love the scheme, unfortunately I just never had enough of those type guys. They played C2 squat behind it & dared you to beat them. Jimmy was convinced that his Sam could play inside out & didn't have to be great as long as Mike & the 3 were. Hard to argue with their success.

Joe

I am not arguing with matt. In fact I agree with him.  but  true 9 tech 3 point stance defensive ends are rare.  its very rare you find 9 techniques who can play that tech with the physicality and athleticism combo necessary. I see a lot 9 technique who either lack the athleticism or the physicality to play out their.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

TT

I agree with you, hence I don't coach a 9 tech anymore. I play a 6I & let him play football. I didn't think you were disagreeing, just looking for clearification.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

TT

I agree with you, hence I don't coach a 9 tech anymore. I play a 6I & let him play football. I didn't think you were disagreeing, just looking for clearification.

Joe

I would rather that 9 tech who HAS some athleticism pick his hand up off the ground, head up to outside shade of the TE  and whip the TE.
Same with my interior two hands on the blocker, hands inside, find the ball, rip shred and tackle.. a little more to it than that, but that is fundamentally what I want. The reason I like that type of play, is there is no easy for the kids. THEY MUST whip and defeat their man.
But that is why I dont coach defense...I guess.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: