Notifications
Clear all

over under front belong in even or odd family?

Page 1 / 4

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Quickly, do over and under fronts belong in even or odd front family?
My answer is depends. Once  I get a couple of answer I will expand on the answer. I am just interested in how it is answered from the great coaches on this board.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Even fronts don't cover the center if that is what you are asking.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Even fronts don't cover the center of thay is what you are asking.

The usual scenario is that you have a shaded nose, which means the center is only half covered. That would make it even to one side and odd to the other.  I can see the argument for it belonging in both families.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I learned five, not two, and over, under, and even were all different.  Over and under weren't versions of even.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

I learned:
Odd = center covered [or shaded] and one or both guards does not have a down lineman covering him
Even = center not covered [or shaded] but both guards are and there is only one LB Between B gaps.
Split = center not covered [or shaded] but both guards are and there are 2 players at LB depth aligned B gap to B gap.
Bear= center and both guards covered

With those definitions and over under needing  a 1 and a 3 and no 0 or shade, it will be either even or split, depending where the LBs align

Todd

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Most Over fronts we consider an even front, but some are an Odd front where they walk down the WS OLB. The majority of Under fronts we see are actually Odd fronts, but some are Even. So of course this can often lead to debate, I always ask why. Does it really matter? Will identifying the front change how you block it?

Back in the day I remember Option teams having a rule about where to attack vs Even or Odd fronts. Today we will often say to attack the 1 or 3 technique on certain plays. Overall you really have to look at the coverage. Defenses today usually adjust the coverage more so then front, the days of stemming & having 30 different fronts seem to have disappeared. I remember when Georgia was a Shade team under Coach Dooley, they had over 100 different fronts. I didn't even think that possible until I saw the explanation.

That is one of things I like so much about today's Zone schemes & Gap Schemes that we use. Changing the front really doesn't matter.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold

Where is Coach Mountjoy when you need him?

5 basic fronts: under, over, even, okie and solid (bear).  As Joe pints out, classifying as "odd" or "even" does not really matter.  Over and even usually blocked the same, under and okie usually blocked the same and solid is a class by itself.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Quickly, do over and under fronts belong in even or odd front family?
My answer is depends. Once  I get a couple of answer I will expand on the answer. I am just interested in how it is answered from the great coaches on this board.

Both Even and Odd base defenses run variations of both of these and they can mean different things in those respective defenses.

IMO, it's not true odd front unless the NG is head up.  If the offense knows what it's doing with their blocking rules, they won't necessarily declare a shade as "On."

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze

Different guys call it different things.

imo for highschool and lower, its easier to consider over and under as even.

For me:
odd= center has a guy head up
even= he doesn't

also 99.9% of the time if it's odd, you have two guys head up the tackles (okie) or two 3 techs (solid/bear)

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

For me:
even= he doesn't

also 99.9% of the time if it's odd, you have two guys head up the tackles (okie) or two 3 techs (solid/bear)

To counterpoint you,
1. you can have  two players over the tackles, head up and play an even defense.
2.I would also suggest that the olb -de alignment thing a ma-ding is a separate category
3.Spacing is what defines the family of defenses. over/under/bear are separate for that reason.
4. What about a shaded nose? That is not a guard covered. You may have included that in head up, but I have no way to know that.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

For me:
even= he doesn't

We are an off tackle team so we see a bunch of okie. Sometimes the ng is shaded to strength which is often the field. We didn't ever base running off tackle on field/boundary or left/right but teams played us like we did. Pretty standard to do so I guess. I really don't care what the front is. Our blocking schemes should take care of it. We might modify the rules some if a 3 tech is a beast but usually the kids figured it out because we worked on it daily.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

My understanding is that either an odd or even front can be played over or under vs. a TE-SE O line.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

My understanding is that either an odd or even front can be played over or under vs. a TE-SE O line.

you would be correct.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

you would be correct.

Dammit!  Who had March 2, 2017 in the pool?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold

To counterpoint you,
3.Spacing is what defines the family of defenses. over/under/bear are separate for that reason.

Spacing defines defenses or defines fronts?  Is it spacing or alignment that defines the defense/front?

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: