Notifications
Clear all

over under front belong in even or odd family?

Page 4 / 4

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Knowing who is uncovered and covered is aided by knowing the family of fronts.  it solves all of those issues. And I clarify it even more. It is not about memorizing every front, and not even close. It has more to do with who they are as a team
If they are a 4 man front defense, the player in the B- gap is clearly defined.  If he is a dt, he is over the guard. If he is a de, he is over the tackle.
And you can do the same thing all across the board.

I am not really arguing that at all. I just don't see how it helps my team. We know who is covered by our definition of "on". The understanding of the letters in the acronym are what makes rules blocking work. If the defense starts to play games to mess with the rules we just switch to SAB and be done with it. We ran SAB as our base rule back in 2010 and did very well. Covered/uncovered did not matter one bit. Just block down at a 30* angle.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I am not really arguing that at all. I just don't see how it helps my team. We know who is covered by our definition of "on". The understanding of the letters in the acronym are what makes rules blocking work. If the defense starts to play games to mess with the rules we just switch to SAB and be done with it. We ran SAB as our base rule back in 2010 and did very well. Covered/uncovered did not matter one bit. Just block down at a 30* angle.

if it doesn't help you, it doesn't help you. NP.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

if it doesn't help you, it doesn't help you. NP.

I am not against learning why it might though. I just don't see it, that's all.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I am not against learning why it might though. I just don't see it, that's all.

No worries. One day you will see it.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

No worries. One day you will see it.

Or not. Who knows. Been doing this a long time and been around some pretty darn good coaches and none of them ever taught more than what I am teaching. Some of those guys think I do too much. I don't fight against things that people can explain to me why it would make me a better coach or why it would help my players. I'm pretty open minded. Make a good case that I understand and I will give it a shot. I said earlier that we teach what "on" means. Basically "covered" so maybe we are circling around the same thing. I know you and I have done that before.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Or not. Who knows. Been doing this a long time and been around some pretty darn good coaches and none of them ever taught more than what I am teaching. Some of those guys think I do too much. I don't fight against things that people can explain to me why it would make me a better coach or why it would help my players. I'm pretty open minded. Make a good case that I understand and I will give it a shot. I said earlier that we teach what "on" means. Basically "covered" so maybe we are circling around the same thing. I know you and I have done that before.

Give me a definition of " a lot.." I have a feeling it probably isn't.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

R

It's all about teaching progression. Doing what you do it really doesn't matter. The Zone guys that care about covered/uncovered or the count system it makes a huge difference. The way we do things it really doesn't matter either. It comes down a teaching thing. BMJ would argue this all the time. He would tell me I was an idiot. Then he watched film & told me, " You keep teaching Zone your way it obviously works". BTW he stopped calling me an idiot after that, & I learned a lot from him.

The only reason being an odd or an even front would matter to us is in the protection game. We release our back so much it matters how we set the protection. Those Kowboy dudes were an Under Front, but really an odd front so we had to know how to protect. The Buccaneer dudes were an under front but an even front. We used a slightly different 5 man scheme for each.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Give me a definition of " a lot.." I have a feeling it probably isn't.

Clarify "it".

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Clarify "it".

you say people accuse you of doing to much...what is to much?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

R

It's all about teaching progression. Doing what you do it really doesn't matter. The Zone guys that care about covered/uncovered or the count system it makes a huge difference. The way we do things it really doesn't matter either. It comes down a teaching thing. BMJ would argue this all the time. He would tell me I was an idiot. Then he watched film & told me, " You keep teaching Zone your way it obviously works". BTW he stopped calling me an idiot after that, & I learned a lot from him.

The only reason being an odd or an even front would matter to us is in the protection game. We release our back so much it matters how we set the protection. Those Kowboy dudes were an Under Front, but really an odd front so we had to know how to protect. The Buccaneer dudes were an under front but an even front. We used a slightly different 5 man scheme for each.

Joe

Your example it means something. In some zone schemes it means something. In our gap schemes I just don't see why it matters but I guess I am just blind to it. Does your qb set the protection at the line?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Your example it means something. In some zone schemes it means something. In our gap schemes I just don't see why it matters but I guess I am just blind to it. Does your qb set the protection at the line?

R

That's my point in your Gap scheme it makes no difference especially when you are using SAB.

No our Back sets the protection. So if he is leaving our Center will now set what we call MILF(don't ask). Again we have the luxury of film,
so most times we are prepared for what we see.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

you say people accuse you of doing to much...what is to much?

I have to make a concerted effort to not over coach. I am pretty good at holding all that back now. I made a huge leap a while back in my own knowledge so I wanted to share because I thought it could all help. It does but not in the ways I thought it might. One example is the dline numbering system.  Protections(how many do you really need in youth?). Line calls. We use them sometimes but they are very simple. Don't let me go off on a tangent or I will install 40 calls and confuse the heck out of everybody. Most of this happens in coaches meetings before the players get exposed to my insanity thankfully. I think every coach wants to install more and more and more but you have to know what is needed and what works with what you are doing. I always bounce stuff of other coaches on the staff before I try something. I am not a header so what I say does not always go in.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

R

That's my point in your Gap scheme it makes no difference especially when you are using SAB.

No our Back sets the protection. So if he is leaving our Center will now set what we call MILF(don't ask). Again we have the luxury of film,

Joe

We installed SAB in 2010 because we had a new team that never had more than block somebody rules prior to us. We were going to start there and progress to our normal rule system. It worked so well with that group we just kept it as is. SAB is our wash call normally.

You have explained some of the names you guys have for stuff. Probably better to not discuss those here.  😛

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

R

Joe

I think it is awesome that you let your player "own" it.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Fredo

We did the same thing at the Youth level. In the end players will respond to responsibility better if they own it. We had a Turkish player a few years back who named a pulling guard "Casper" as in Casper the friendly ghost. Here in America that cartoon hadn't been on for decades but in Turkey it was popular.

Giving players input has always been a successful, although not always appropriate, tool for us. We find it really cuts down on mistakes.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: