Notifications
Clear all

Tilting tackles at 7U in the WT6

Page 1 / 2

CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver
Topic starter  

I'm considering tilting my tackles with the instruction to hit the OT in the side, "bounce" into the gap, get to the heels and hunt. They would align on the TE's inside shoulder. The idea is to try and occupy the TE and impair the OT's path to my LB's and keep them clean.

My best players are at DE, the best smaller tacklers are at CB, and my best undisciplined but fast player is at FS.  My LB's are project players with physical ability but they are not killers..........yet......

thoughts?

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

I like it.  If that FS is aggressive, I might move him to LB.  If they can tackle, I think you have a really good defense at that age.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I'm considering tilting my tackles with the instruction to hit the OT in the side, "bounce" into the gap, get to the heels and hunt. They would align on the TE's inside shoulder. The idea is to try and occupy the TE and impair the OT's path to my LB's and keep them clean.

If there is no TE do they align in front of the Tackle and smash the guard?

If there is a TE and they don't occupy or try to block the wide tackle (mine wouldn't even pay any attention to him by rule) is that seen as a free release and the TE needs to be covered?
Are you in man or zone?
Or zone behind the man coverage like a "man 2"

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Look at the Killer Bee... even front and better coverage of the field.  You are cover 3 which aint bad at that level, but what do you do when they go  1 x 2?  or 2 x 2? or 1 x 3 or Empty?  That is exactly what I would do to a cover 3 with 3 or less linebackers, whether it is a 62 or 53.    Too easy to get them to move linebacker out of the box then run away from them.    Draw it up on paper.
                                                                X  X
                                                                  Q                          X
                                    X                    X  X  O  X  X                        X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B
                                      C                                                    S  C

X
                                      X                            Q                          X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B
                                      C                          S                              C

X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

With the Killer Bee,  it auto aligns to the formation.  No big deal.  Kids auto align.        I have run the WT6,  53, 33 stack,  Killer Bee and DC46.    I would choose any of the last three over the first two because it is very difficult to move my kids out of position.  Easy to do with the first two.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

In saying that though,  tilt your DEs at nearest deepest.    They set the edge and cut off the off tackle play.  That is what I would do if I ran either a 53 or a 62.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The idea is to try and occupy the TE and impair the OT's path to my LB's and keep them clean.

Alex, I want my opponent’s OTs to try and block my LBs.  That’s a mismatch made in Heaven.  If your opponent’s OTs can block your LBs, you aren’t going to win anyway.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

With the Killer Bee,  it auto aligns to the formation.  No big deal.  Kids auto align.        I have run the WT6,  53, 33 stack,  Killer Bee and DC46.    I would choose any of the last three over the first two because it is very difficult to move my kids out of position.  Easy to do with the first two.

Coach Tony,

Do you have film of your defense posted some where that you would be willing to share access?

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Look at the Killer Bee... even front and better coverage of the field.  You are cover 3 which aint bad at that level, but what do you do when they go  1 x 2?  or 2 x 2? or 1 x 3 or Empty?  That is exactly what I would do to a cover 3 with 3 or less linebackers, whether it is a 62 or 53.    Too easy to get them to move linebacker out of the box then run away from them.    Draw it up on paper.
                                                                X  X
                                                                  Q                          X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B
                                      C                                                    S  C

X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B
                                      C                          S                              C

X
                                                      E  T  G    G  T  E
                                                              B          B

We are in man in our base D
We do NOT align like this at all

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Can tell you from my experiance your "hittem...bounce...hunt" is a bit too much instruction for 7s. Not saying the technique cant be done... might wanna talk to Clark about "r.e.s o" or find your man, hit your man, play football.

Tilted tackles work when done properly, gotta give them a time to make a play too.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Can tell you from my experiance your "hittem...bounce...hunt" is a bit too much instruction for 7s. Not saying the technique cant be done... might wanna talk to Clark about "r.e.s o" or find your man, hit your man, play football.

Tilted tackles work when done properly, gotta give them a time to make a play too.

This is what I was asking about in my post. I love reso and the 3 steps to success on defense. Find Hit Play.

I do like the tilted with a 5 man front not 6 though.
Taking out 5 with 4 isn't as good as taking out 5 with 3. Mathematically speaking  😉

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

We are in man in our base D
We do NOT align like this at all

If you look what I drew.. there was no real defensive alignment, just a quasi front and sorta secondary...  zone or man i can get great mismatches with a 6 2 or 5 3 front.  I can force you to move linebackers out of the box  by spreading the field.  Thats why I said to draw it up on paper.  Draw your man D against 1 x 2, 1 x 3, 2 x 2, and 2 x 3 and see  where you are weak.. you have to pull your second level defenders on at least one side out of the box.  You need to be able to go to a 7 or 6 man box.  If you keep a 6 man front on my 5 man front, all i need is one block at the LOS.    Spread em and go maxi splits.  Spread the front, pull backers out of the box.  Snap to my stud and off he goes.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Coach Tony,

Do you have film of your defense posted some where that you would be willing to share access?

Here is year before last's entire season in order I believe... straight defense. Good, bad and ugly.

Go to Killer Bee sub forum..

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Spread em and go maxi splits.  Spread the front, pull backers out of the box.  Snap to my stud and off he goes.

You spread em and go maxi splits with 7U and I am going to get your stud in the back field more often than he gets out. There's no way I am spreading my defense out to cover 7 year olds.  We are coming through your maxi splits.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Here is year before last's entire season in order I believe... straight defense. Good, bad and ugly.

Go to Killer Bee sub forum..

Thank you Sir.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: