Notifications
Clear all

Wide Tackle 6

Lucky7
(@lucky7)
Copper
Topic starter  

I’m new to Dumcoach and thankful for this forum. It’s my 3rd year being a youth head coach. I have been reading and re-reading Coach Mountjoy’s info on the wide tackle 6. Excellent stuff. I have finally had an Epiphany and am changing alignment of my tackles from a 5 tech to a 7 tech. After looking at last year’s film this is the way to go. Everyone is either trying to go off-tackle or hit the tight end on a pop pass. I believe by having my tackle hit the inside shoulder of the tight end we can prevent the pop pass and slow the TE as he attempts to block out on the DE. No one has had the TE block down. Any thoughts.....

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

I think the 7 Tech alignment will be more effective against off tackle than the 5.  I really like playing them as 6 Techs head up on the TEs looking inside.  We expect the opposition to run at the B Gap because of the big bubble there so we work on stopping that a lot.

A good 6 Tech will force an off tackle team to adjust or run somewhere else.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I've always tried to kick a 6 or wider. If your definition of a 7 tech is inside shoulder of the TE (a dozen different coaches will name their techniques a dozen different ways), then yeah, I think that might make it harder to run off tackle.  I would have my TE block down. Since we don't double team, it would be a one on one. If your 7 is hitting my TE's inside shoulder, it would be task to move that 7  . . .  if my goal were to move him.  😉

Mega splits nonsense aside, I think you're on to something if you see a lot of power off tackle. Yes, there are thousands of adjustments, but I tend to believe that if a defense forces me to adjust, they are on their way to success.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Surprised that his league runs off tackle alot. He might actually he in a well coached league. 6 techs we tended to have him be the kick out. If they are slanting in it gets harder to dig them out for a ko but if they are slanting in then we could just have the te down block him which is his rule more often than not anyway. We had more issues with 6 techs that tried to hold his ground and stonewall the te. You will hear a bunch of dw guys say kick a 6.

Our rule for the te was often gdb. That will often make the 6 tech the ko without having to change anything. We had more than one team hold our te with a 6 tech to stop his gdb block which almost always gets a double at the c gap.

ReplyQuote
Lucky7
(@lucky7)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thank you for the replies. I think the coaching in our league has improved. One team had historically  run the wishbone and we’re very good running power from it. When we faced them early in the season they were trying to spread out the field and try to run a spread offense. We easily beat them. At the end of the season they were back running the wishbone and beat us. I remember saying to one coach “that’s who they are, they are a power running team.” I feel it’s important to have an identity as a team and be who you are.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

The 7 tech is great for a lot vs closed set... doesn't matter if its off tackle run, te release,  drop back passing,  the 7 tech as dl or lb is great.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze

I’m new to Dumcoach and thankful for this forum. It’s my 3rd year being a youth head coach. I have been reading and re-reading Coach Mountjoy’s info on the wide tackle 6. Excellent stuff. I have finally had an Epiphany and am changing alignment of my tackles from a 5 tech to a 7 tech. After looking at last year’s film this is the way to go. Everyone is either trying to go off-tackle or hit the tight end on a pop pass. I believe by having my tackle hit the inside shoulder of the tight end we can prevent the pop pass and slow the TE as he attempts to block out on the DE. No one has had the TE block down. Any thoughts.....

I think you are likely on the right track. I have always thought the best way to slow down a great off tackle team is to neutralize the TE. 

However, one thing that I am curious of is that you said the TE's always blocked out on the DE's and not blocking down.  I think the main advantage of a 7 tech over a 5 is that the TE can't cave down a 7 like he can a 5 because of an angle, but you said nobody blocked down anyway. If this was the case your 5 techs should have been able to make the play when teams ran off tackle.  How did teams block your 5 tech?  Were teams reaching with the tackle? If so this may be more of a personnel/ technique problem.  Whether it is a 5,6 or 7 technique, if teams are hurting you off tackle you want to put some of your best players there if possible.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I missed the te blocking out comment. That is odd on an off tackle play. In that case I agree with the 5 tech being the guy who should make the play. Unless that 5 is being kicked.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze

We have kicked the 5 on occasion but it's more of a special adjustment.  I wouldn't think that would be the standard way to run it. 

I also reread my comment and saw that I wrote reached by the guard when I meant reached by the tackle but it's fixed now.  Sorry if anybody was confused by that.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

I'm going to use a 7 tech DE and OLB stone based on DC Pro 4-3.

Bill gave me some books that explain WT-6 pretty well. I bought them off Amazon for like $3-$4.

ReplyQuote
Lucky7
(@lucky7)
Copper
Topic starter  

Could you provide the titles of the books?

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

Could you provide the titles of the books?

1. Modern Defensive Football by Gomer Jones and Bud Wilkinson
2. Building a Championship Football Team by Bear Bryant
3. Offensive and Defensive Line Play by Gomer Jones

Bill told me that these are the best books for WT-6.

ReplyQuote
Lucky7
(@lucky7)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thank you! 

ReplyQuote
Share: