5-3 defense and how...

Notifications

5-3 defense and how to shift  

RSS

Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
October 27, 2018 3:04 pm  

I’m still new to this so bear with me. If the opponent shifts (adding extra blocker to one side) should my line shift over a half man or a full man? For example: If say my dt’s have b gap responsibility and NT has A gap and offense shifts should we shift over? Or stay home? If we do shift do we keep same gap responsibilities? Need help. Anything helps 😎

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 27, 2018 3:21 pm  

You shift over 1 man or roll your lbs

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 27, 2018 4:54 pm  

I’m still new to this so bear with me. If the opponent shifts (adding extra blocker to one side) should my line shift over a half man or a full man? For example: If say my dt’s have b gap responsibility and NT has A gap and offense shifts should we shift over? Or stay home? If we do shift do we keep same gap responsibilities? Need help. Anything helps 😎

Shift over 1-gap with your defensive line, but leave your LBs where they were.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 27, 2018 5:14 pm  

My diag didnt post

We play 6,4i,0 in the 53 (vs 3 back teams only)...sometimes 7,3,0 minor shade differences depending on what we want.

------0-0-0-#-0-0-0
-----6---4---0---4---6
---$---------m----------w

6 has te/gap...no coverage mixes between a 2 pt even stance and a down 3 point depending on player.
4i has B gap
0 had center to flow side A
Backers read near back to ball

When the shift happends, the center just becomes uncovered.

----0-0-0-0-#-0-0
---6---4---0---4---6

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 27, 2018 7:59 pm  

In my opinion a lot of the answer depends on what you do with your Front 5 to begin with.  I liked to do a few things with the Front without a lot of "Shifting" so to speak. 

We Fan, we Pinch, We Slant.  So we can go 3-0-3, 2-0-2 or 4-0-4 and accomplish many different things, without necessarily shifting to match strength.  It all depended on the tendencies the O was showing. I used Squeeze with the DE's sometimes in a 3 point sometimes standing.  I wanted to be very physical with the TE or OT.  Set a Hard Edge ad come off.  I wanted to keep the OL guessing and off the LB's.  🙂

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: