Notifications

All the Defense Concepts taken from Site- combined  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 29, 2018 7:34 am  

Haven't posted much this year so busy with work and football.  My 11th year as HC  coming off championship last year in a 10 team league.  I have 6 graders this year in a 9 team league.  We have already played 5 games .  Currently 5-0 mercy ruled all opponents and starting defense hasn't given up a touchdown.  We played KB last couple of years except we played a simple Gregory zone defense in lieu of the man concepts in Killer Bee (KB) last year.

I seem to have a need to tweek my defense every year and this year is no different.  I'd call our defense this year "Dum Coach Special"  and a combination of all the things I liked about all the other systems I've taken from this site:  I've run  WT6, Killer Bee, DC46, Jack's 63 and Mahonz concepts over the years.  Here is what we've been doing this year:

1. Base defense:  46 Concept with TNT and Gregory DE concept/  Corners and Safeties are Killer Bee concept with exception we play zone coverage similar to Gregory.    Our base defense puts a LB over TE to stone him with Mahonz/Clark concept, this give us a Mike with other backer against most defenses with KB concept.

2. Base Adjustment 1 we call it "Bronco"  just because we developed it against first team we played this year called Broncos:  All we do is play "taps" on the strong side with the tackle and linebacker that stones in base.  Other Backer slips over to play a KB Mike responsibility.  (Originally got taps from Jack)

3. Base Adjustment 2/3  "Lucky"  / "Razor"  just a line stunt with the NG and Tackle L/R  NG goes across face of guard and tackle comes behind NG to A gap.  Got this from Mahonz or Clark can't remember.

4.  Base Adjustment 4:  "Dolphin L/R"  Just a linebacker blitz usually used against spread teams off edge or side motion goes to.  Other backer goes to KB Mike when during this call.  (Our team name is the Dolphins this year)   

5. Final Adjustment 5:  "61"  We take our biggest linebacker and put him in the right A gap and NG moves to the left A gap, tackles move to 5-tech and swim move the OT.  This gives us a Mike with KB concept.  (Like playing a WT6 with a zone KB behind it)

Its been working great so far.    We'll see as season goes on but switching thing up sure helps and love the ability to change between "TAPS" and Stoning on TE side and going to a 61 defense with hand signals.   

Thanks to all the great coaches on this site that have contributed to the success of my football teams over the years!!!  Here is division standings: 

https://www.yellowstoneyouthfootball.org/standings/show/4373880?subseason=522988

The 6 points we gave up were a scoop and score by the opponents defense.

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 29, 2018 8:50 am  

Good stuff coach. Would love to see the game film when you play the Chiefs.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 29, 2018 9:00 am  

Thanks coach, For whatever reason we don't play Chiefs in regular season likely meet them in championship game if we both make it.  We only play a 7 game reg. season schedule. 

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 29, 2018 9:16 am  

Thanks coach, For whatever reason we don't play Chiefs in regular season likely meet them in championship game if we both make it.  We only play a 7 game reg. season schedule. 

Thanks.

I’ve had years like that. Makes the anticipation & hype of the game INSANE!

One year us & another team were undefeated therough 7 weeks. They had mercy ruled all their opponents. I avoid the mercy rule, but we could have done the same. Amyhow, week 8 we play em, the stands are PACKED. Crowd was nuts. Refs understood the stakes. We won, then beat them again in the championship.

It’s always a little more fun when 2 undefeated teams meet late in the season. When it get’t to that time, post their film here & we might be able to give you some things that we see.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 30, 2018 5:57 am  

Will do next week they play 4th seed,  Hopefully we can get some decent film on them.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 5, 2018 9:40 am  

Haven't posted much this year so busy with work and football.  My 11th year as HC  coming off championship last year in a 10 team league.  I have 6 graders this year in a 9 team league.  We have already played 5 games .  Currently 5-0 mercy ruled all opponents and starting defense hasn't given up a touchdown.  We played KB last couple of years except we played a simple Gregory zone defense in lieu of the man concepts in Killer Bee (KB) last year.

I seem to have a need to tweek my defense every year and this year is no different.  I'd call our defense this year "Dum Coach Special"  and a combination of all the things I liked about all the other systems I've taken from this site:  I've run  WT6, Killer Bee, DC46, Jack's 63 and Mahonz concepts over the years.  Here is what we've been doing this year:

1. Base defense:  46 Concept with TNT and Gregory DE concept/  Corners and Safeties are Killer Bee concept with exception we play zone coverage similar to Gregory.    Our base defense puts a LB over TE to stone him with Mahonz/Clark concept, this give us a Mike with other backer against most defenses with KB concept.

The 6 points we gave up were a scoop and score by the opponents defense.

So you're happy?  😉

Are you still rocking and rolling?

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
October 9, 2018 7:58 am  

I just want to see how this Defense lines up.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 20, 2018 5:23 am  

The following is our scout film of the other undefeated team in our league: 

The video is edited to only show clips of their plays versus different teams.  It is only about 5 minutes.

We start our playoff run today we are 7-0 mercy ruled all opponents and are #1 Seed.  Chiefs are  7-0 mercy ruled all but one opponent and are the #2 seed.  They have a QB #1 that is very good and a running back #20 that will be tough to stop.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

This is their primary formation that they run 90% of the time and how our base defense would normally align to their formation. 

c                            c
              s                s
                lb        lb
            e    t    n  t      e
WR          O O O O O            WR
          W                  W
                        Q  R

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
October 22, 2018 7:06 am  

This is their primary formation that they run 90% of the time and how our base defense would normally align to their formation. 

c                            c
              s                s
                lb        lb
            e    t    n  t      e
WR          O O O O O            WR
          W                  W
                        Q  R

Coach,

Are your Defensive Tackles in a 3 Technique or a 4? Are they playing by the DC46 to where they press the B gap by attacking the Guards?

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 22, 2018 8:21 am  

Just saw this. I swear someone must be selling this system (or something similar) cuz i’ve faced the same thing a bunch of times in recent years.

Few keys:

1) Gotta send constant pressure. Gun fly teams are entirely dependent on timing & clean path of travel. Soon as you create bubbles it throws every thing off.

2) Auto blitzes. When motion goes to the right (for example). You send an auto blitz off the backside to blow up counter. Same on the other side. Keeps the backside defenders from having their eyes being tricked by flow away, & also keeps them from “catching” counter. You stop coubter by attacking it.
You should be able to time their snap and get a huge surge on blitzes.

When you auto blitz the backside, that automatically puts your corner in M2M on the lone WR.

3) Playside they’re opening a run through alley (see pick below). Soon as motion starts i’d send a blitzer through the alley.

4) Obv when they go UC, just have to cut up front.

5) When their wings release on those pop passes w/ no motion, you should be able to pick those. I’d rep that w/ your backers. No motion = pass. Either knock those guys down or jump the rout.

Last year we played a team that ran a very similar system. Went to Florida the year before. We just dropped their wings as they tried to release on passes. They were not expecting it & it really screwed them up.

That’s about all I can gather from a few clips at field level angle (brutal angle for scouting).

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 24, 2018 12:59 am  

3. Base Adjustment 2/3  "Lucky"  / "Razor"  just a line stunt with the NG and Tackle L/R  NG goes across face of guard and tackle comes behind NG to A gap.  Got this from Mahonz or Clark can't remember.

That should be me.  I got it from the old Arizona "Desert Swarm" defense.

So will you remember us when you get a job coaching in the pros?  😀

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
October 26, 2018 6:49 am  

To the OP,

1. Come on man! Don't leave us hangin'! How'd your boys do?

2. I must confess that I am intrigued by this mish-mash of Defensive concepts, even though I'm not quite smart enough to figure out all of the ways that it would align. Due to that, I ask you how your Defense would align, in base, to the following formations. The reason I use these formations is because they have the following aspects that I want to be able to align against:

A split end
A Tight End
A Wing Back with a Tight End
Two Backs in the backfield
Twins
Single Back in the backfield

A.

----5---------LT---LG---C---RG---RT---6
--------------------------1------------------4

B.

----5---------LT---LG---C---RG---RT---6
------3-------------------1------------------4

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 28, 2018 2:28 pm  

Just saw this. I swear someone must be selling this system (or something similar) cuz i’ve faced the same thing a bunch of times in recent years.

Few keys:

1) Gotta send constant pressure. Gun fly teams are entirely dependent on timing & clean path of travel. Soon as you create bubbles it throws every thing off.  Sounds good I was debating on how much to blitz probably play taps on the HB side.  Most plays follow #20 not sure if I assign my best backer to go where he goes.

2) Auto blitzes. When motion goes to the right (for example). You send an auto blitz off the backside to blow up counter. Same on the other side. Keeps the backside defenders from having their eyes being tricked by flow away, & also keeps them from “catching” counter. You stop coubter by attacking it.
You should be able to time their snap and get a huge surge on blitzes.  Ok they pull a guard to kick the backside DE it would be a race get behind the tackle who is blocking down

When you auto blitz the backside, that automatically puts your corner in M2M on the lone WR.  A risk probably worth taking.

3) Playside they’re opening a run through alley (see pick below). Soon as motion starts i’d send a blitzer through the alley.  Great point. 

4) Obv when they go UC, just have to cut up front.

5) When their wings release on those pop passes w/ no motion, you should be able to pick those. I’d rep that w/ your backers. No motion = pass. Either knock those guys down or jump the rout.  Great point.

Last year we played a team that ran a very similar system. Went to Florida the year before. We just dropped their wings as they tried to release on passes. They were not expecting it & it really screwed them up. They'll try to release outside.  Part of me wants to put bring the DE's through their heels to the deep back and the other part of me wants them to hit maybe the motion is the Key on what we do.

That’s about all I can gather from a few clips at field level angle (brutal angle for scouting).

Thanks Coach JC:

We face finally face this team (Chiefs) next Sunday night in the league championship we're both 9-0 coming in.  Should be a good one.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 28, 2018 2:30 pm  

Coach,

Are your Defensive Tackles in a 3 Technique or a 4? Are they playing by the DC46 to where they press the B gap by attacking the Guards?

We play DC 46 front in our "Base" but if there is a TE we like to play "Taps" allot on one side over the strong side tackle.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 28, 2018 2:32 pm  

That should be me.  I got it from the old Arizona "Desert Swarm" defense.

So will you remember us when you get a job coaching in the pros?  😀

I'm hardly smart enough to apply what I learn here!! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: